A Love Like Ours

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

A Love Like Ours

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

Why didn't the mythological Middle East male god Jehovah inspire the male authors of the biblical writings to address female homosexuality specifically …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

bjs
Prodigy

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #11

Post by bjs »

Jagella wrote: It makes no sense for a perfect god to snoop into people's sex lives like this.
This statement makes very little sense.

If you are not a Christian then do as you will. As long as it is limited to consenting adults then it is none of my business.

If you become a Christian – that is, if you accept the Lordship of Christ Jesus – then that will come with ethical commands that affect virtually every area of life, including sexuality. As long as you remain outside of the Christian faith then I cannot imagine why you would care what Christians say about sexual ethics.

My only other comment for this thread is that the line “You can’t control who you fall in love with� is objectively false. We chose which relationships we pursue and which ones we avoid. Falling in love doesn’t happen by accident. We not only allow it to happen; we actively choose to foster a relationship. We can also choose to let a relationship die. Claiming that we can’t control who we fall in love with is both false and can be self-destructive.

Menotu
Sage

Post #12

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 11 by bjs]
If you are not a Christian then do as you will. As long as it is limited to consenting adults then it is none of my business.
Thus, would say is if you are a Christian it is your business?
“You can’t control who you fall in love with� is objectively false.
To a point, that's true. But not entirely. There are people who are in love that would have never thought they'd be a good match. And sometimes they aren't a good match, but they're still in love.
We chose which relationships we pursue and which ones we avoid.
True, for some. Being 'in love' isn't always a good thing. But it is a thing. A real thing, good or bad.
Claiming that we can’t control who we fall in love with is both false and can be self-destructive.
Can be self destructive, but definitely not false as a blanket statement for everyone on the planet.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by bjs »

Menotu wrote: [Replying to post 11 by bjs]
Thus, would say is if you are a Christian it is your business?
To a degree, since claiming to be a Christians is expressing the desire to be part of a familial relationship. However, that takes us far off topic, so I will not hijack this thread with that issue.
Menotu wrote:
“You can’t control who you fall in love with� is objectively false.
To a point, that's true. But not entirely. There are people who are in love that would have never thought they'd be a good match. And sometimes they aren't a good match, but they're still in love.
We chose which relationships we pursue and which ones we avoid.
True, for some. Being 'in love' isn't always a good thing. But it is a thing. A real thing, good or bad.
Claiming that we can’t control who we fall in love with is both false and can be self-destructive.
Can be self destructive, but definitely not false as a blanket statement for everyone on the planet.
Claiming that we can’t control who we fall in love with is categorically false for everyone on the planet. Yes, there are people in love who never thought that they would be a good match, but that did not happen beyond their control. They experienced attachment or attraction, and they made the choice to pursue that relationship instead of hindering it. I am not saying that love is always good nor that unexpected love is always self-destructive. But love always comes from a choice. The often repeated line from romantic comedies that “We didn’t intend for this to happen,� is a bald-face lie. We all chose the relationships we nurture and we all chose the relationships we avoid.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

bjs wrote:
Jagella wrote: It makes no sense for a perfect god to snoop into people's sex lives like this.
Jagella's statement makes perfect sense in light of the Bible.

It's a shame the Bible doesn't take the same live and let live attitude you take:
  • 1 Corinthians 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,
If we are to believe this bit of Biblical prejudice, God is very concerned about the sexual activity of all human beings, Christian or otherwise.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

bjs wrote:
My only other comment for this thread is that the line “You can’t control who you fall in love with� is objectively false. We chose which relationships we pursue and which ones we avoid. Falling in love doesn’t happen by accident. We not only allow it to happen; we actively choose to foster a relationship. We can also choose to let a relationship die. Claiming that we can’t control who we fall in love with is both false and can be self-destructive.
You've provided no evidence to support this conclusion. You make several comments about relationships, not love, and then draw a conclusion about love. Being able to choose a relationship is not the same as choosing who one loves.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

bjs
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by bjs »

Tcg wrote:
bjs wrote:
Jagella's statement makes perfect sense in light of the Bible.

It's a shame the Bible doesn't take the same live and let live attitude you take:
  • 1 Corinthians 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,
If we are to believe this bit of Biblical prejudice, God is very concerned about the sexual activity of all human beings, Christian or otherwise.

You do not appear to have countered anything I wrote. If someone is a Christian then there are, amongst many other things, sexual ethics. If someone is a not a Christian, then that person does not believe that the kingdom of God exists and I cannot imagine why he/she cares what Christians think on the topic.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by bjs »

Tcg wrote:
bjs wrote:
You've provided no evidence to support this conclusion. You make several comments about relationships, not love, and then draw a conclusion about love. Being able to choose a relationship is not the same as choosing who one loves.
What exactly does it mean to be in love with someone you have no relationship with?
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

brunumb
Savant

Post #18

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 17 by bjs]
What exactly does it mean to be in love with someone you have no relationship with?
It is meaningless, and precisely how I view the alleged connection between Christians and their God. To me there is no real love or relationship involved at all. I see it as similar to the crush a school girl may have for a spunky pop singer. She has a poster of him on her bedroom wall and imagines all sorts of scenarios where they end up together and he returns the passionate love she believes she feels for him. It all exists only in her imagination.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: … If there were a god, it would be absurd to think that he would be upset with humans doing the very thing he created them to do.
Why do you think God created someone to act stupidly? If people do stupid things, it is their own choice.

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

Clownboat wrote: What is 'not good and right' about sex between consenting adults of the same sex?
I am not sure what you mean with that, but if you mean anal sex, it is not good and right, because those parts of body are not meant for that. It is actually very stupid and could be compared to that you would try to eat through your ear because it is also a hole in your head.