why is public nudity still seen as a negative behavior??

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

wetwo
Student

why is public nudity still seen as a negative behavior??

Post #1

Post by wetwo »

My husband and myself have been born again Christians since our teens and we were both raised in nudist families and we have raised our two kids in the lifestyle as well. We can't understand why in the year 2020 that the Christian Church is not more open to nudist lifestyle and is not more acceptable to public nudity.
when our Pastor heard that we were nudist, he asked us to give a two session representation to anyone in our church that was interesting in hearing the pros and cons of being nudist. The first session we did fully clothed and the second we were did completely naked and oddly enough it was accepted pretty well.
We welcome your thoughts and comments on the subject and maybe we can get an interesting discussion going.[/img]

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: why is public nudity still seen as a negative behavior??

Post #21

Post by nobspeople »

wetwo wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:10 pm My husband and myself have been born again Christians since our teens and we were both raised in nudist families and we have raised our two kids in the lifestyle as well. We can't understand why in the year 2020 that the Christian Church is not more open to nudist lifestyle and is not more acceptable to public nudity.
when our Pastor heard that we were nudist, he asked us to give a two session representation to anyone in our church that was interesting in hearing the pros and cons of being nudist. The first session we did fully clothed and the second we were did completely naked and oddly enough it was accepted pretty well.
We welcome your thoughts and comments on the subject and maybe we can get an interesting discussion going.[/img]
The aversion to nudity seems to be only in certain cultures - most of which have met and been influenced, at some point, by christian outsiders.
There seems to be a taught idea that the human body is 'bad' and leads to bad things (sin for some). Even the bible indicates Adam and Eve were ashamed and covered themselves due to their sin (sin opening their eyes and creating shame, some would say).
Eventually, it became thought that 'modern, well mannered' people 'cover themselves'.
That said, I've heard being nude is very freeing and 'not that big of a deal' - I lived next to a nudist colony and a friend's relative live in this colony for some time.

People tend to pick-n-choose what offends them and what they accept. For many, nude people runnin' around offends them. Is there a legit reason? I guess that depends on who is asked.

Fun note: I remember when my city made it legal for women to be topless. Models from a certain 'magazine' were signing autographs (topless of course) downtown and the traffic backed up to the highway making the commute miserable. Then, the next day, all things were back to normal. The city hasn't been burned to the ground or annihilated from above and there's no babies being eaten. So it seems the human body being naked in public (at least from the waist up) really isn't a big deal
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

wetwo
Student

Post #22

Post by wetwo »

Hi again everyone,
We have been away from the forum for quite some time and very happy to be back.
Let us know if there are any new members on the forum and would be happy to reconnect with old friends.
If you are stopping by this thread, make sure you say HI!

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #23

Post by Rose2020 »

I am just glad that it is.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #24

Post by benchwarmer »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:45 pm I am just glad that it is.
Okay, but why? Is it because your religion tells you it's bad? Is it because naked people scare you? We can only guess if you don't give us a reason.

Why can men show their nipples but women can't? I've seen men with larger breasts than some women happily prancing around without a shirt on. Somehow that's "ok", but if a woman does it "ick". Our culture is really messed up I have to say.

After the initial "Oooh look! Naked people!" we would likely not give it much thought after a short period of time. I personally find it much more "suggestive, sexy, etc." when a woman wears particular types of clothing versus just being naked.

I think if we spent more time worrying about things that actually effect others (like violence), the world would be a better place.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #25

Post by Rose2020 »

It is a matter of basic decency. Most people know what that is.

Tcg
Savant

Post #26

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:28 pm It is a matter of basic decency. Most people know what that is.
That answers what, but the question asked was why. Why is it considered a "matter of basic decency?"

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #27

Post by benchwarmer »

Tcg wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:37 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:28 pm It is a matter of basic decency. Most people know what that is.
That answers what, but the question asked was why. Why is it considered a "matter of basic decency?"

Tcg
And a follow on question for Rose2020: What exactly is "basic decency"? Please spell some of this out to make sure we are on the same page.

For example, I find it basic decency NOT to force others to wear clothing simply for esthetic reasons (i.e. covering up 'icky' parts). Perhaps I find elbows offensive and start convincing others of the same. Should you now be forced to cover your elbows in public?

wetwo
Student

Post #28

Post by wetwo »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #25]

Hi Rose
Since there is no condemnation of public nudity in the Bible, then common decency is all relative and most likely different with each person

Miles
Savant

Post #29

Post by Miles »

As I see the Christian shame over nudity.

Before the apple incident A&E were quite comfortable with their nakedness. Obviously this is how God intended them and their descendants to regard it; something not to be ashamed of.

Genesis 2: 25
25 The man and his wife were naked, but they were not ashamed.

But then A&E ate the apple and KA-BLEWY! the whole house caved in. As punishment, god invested them with a sense of shame for their nakedness---and only A&E, I might point out. Nothing is said at all about their children or their children's children, or . . . being given any sense of shame over their nakedness.

Genesis 3:6-7
6The woman could see that the tree was beautiful and the fruit looked so good to eat. She also liked the idea that it would make her wise. So she took some of the fruit from the tree and ate it. Her husband was there with her, so she gave him some of the fruit, and he ate it.
7 Then it was as if their eyes opened, and they saw things differently. They saw that they were naked. So they got some fig leaves, sewed them together, and wore them for clothes.

Not that there was anything intrinsically harmful or wrong with nudity, (because god never indicates there is) but that A&E were simply imbued with a sense of shame over it.
So as I see the nudity issue its indecency only exists in the mind because many folk hold to the belief that god's punishment of A&E was to be passed on to their decedents: you, me, and everyone else, when, in fact, neither god nor his Bible suggest any such thing. After asking Adam "Who told you that you were naked?" god never again brings up nudity until Isaiah 20:2-4 when he has Isaiah go naked for three years "as a sign and token against Egypt and Cush . . . ." So it's obvious that nudity itself is harmless and can even be okey-dokey under certain circumstances.

So, where does this leave the claim that nudity is "a matter of basic decency"? It leaves its proponents to explain "WHY?." Why is nudity basically indecent when god has no trouble with it? Or isn't this a god issue at all, but a personal *ick* issue? If this happens to be the case then Rose2020 and others like her have my sympathy.

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #30

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #12]

"Your right not to wear clothes should not impede on" (sic) "my right not to see that which I deem as indecent."

Mark 9:47, NIV: "And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out.." It is your right to practice your religion in the US.