why is public nudity still seen as a negative behavior??

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

wetwo
Student

why is public nudity still seen as a negative behavior??

Post #1

Post by wetwo »

My husband and myself have been born again Christians since our teens and we were both raised in nudist families and we have raised our two kids in the lifestyle as well. We can't understand why in the year 2020 that the Christian Church is not more open to nudist lifestyle and is not more acceptable to public nudity.
when our Pastor heard that we were nudist, he asked us to give a two session representation to anyone in our church that was interesting in hearing the pros and cons of being nudist. The first session we did fully clothed and the second we were did completely naked and oddly enough it was accepted pretty well.
We welcome your thoughts and comments on the subject and maybe we can get an interesting discussion going.[/img]

wetwo
Student

Re: why is public nudity still seen as a negative behavior??

Post #2

Post by wetwo »

[Replying to post 1 by wetwo]

OMG, I guess we are taking public nudity to the next level by going completely naked on Craigslist rants and raves in out home town of Des Moines. Our kids dared us to do it so I guess they owe us a dinner now. This could get awkward being naked for our home town but I guess it is a little late now.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #3

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 2 by wetwo]

I can claim it's against religion since your bible said "Corinthians 11:6 (For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head). Let alone that just cutting hair was considered to be a disgrace or covering head, what about being naked ?!.
I don't judge things you do at your home but in public, I guess it's considered to be violating others' freedom.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Difflugia »

mms20102 wrote:Let alone that just cutting hair was considered to be a disgrace or covering head, what about being naked ?!.
Why do you think those two are related?

If one wears one of those little, gauzy Mennonite caps, is it OK to be otherwise nude?

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #5

Post by AgnosticBoy »

wetwo wrote: My husband and myself have been born again Christians since our teens and we were both raised in nudist families and we have raised our two kids in the lifestyle as well. We can't understand why in the year 2020 that the Christian Church is not more open to nudist lifestyle and is not more acceptable to public nudity.
when our Pastor heard that we were nudist, he asked us to give a two session representation to anyone in our church that was interesting in hearing the pros and cons of being nudist. The first session we did fully clothed and the second we were did completely naked and oddly enough it was accepted pretty well.
We welcome your thoughts and comments on the subject and maybe we can get an interesting discussion going.[/img]
Part of the reason may be sexuality. Nudity is often associated with sex and one obvious reason is that certain body parts are used for sex or even arousal. This is why guys can walk around topless while the ladies can't. We can at least say that sex should be private so that takes away some instances of nudity. There are instances where nudity doesn't have to do with sex, like in educational settings, and I don't see the Christians being against that.

So even if you can have public nudity without having sex, but still the majority will likely associate those two together. It would be real interesting to find out if that's a biological or a social construct. The theists may even say neither if they just claim it's by God's design or purpose.

Renon89

Post #6

Post by Renon89 »

Clothes were not made just for protection against the elements. Modesty is highly desirable. From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2521 Purity requires modesty, an integral part of temperance. Modesty protects the intimate center of the person. It means refusing to unveil what should remain hidden. It is ordered to chastity to whose sensitivity it bears witness. It guides how one looks at others and behaves toward them in conformity with the dignity of persons and their solidarity.

2522 Modesty protects the mystery of persons and their love. It encourages patience and moderation in loving relationships; it requires that the conditions for the definitive giving and commitment of man and woman to one another be fulfilled. Modesty is decency. It inspires one's choice of clothing. It keeps silence or reserve where there is evident risk of unhealthy curiosity. It is discreet.

2523 There is a modesty of the feelings as well as of the body. It protests, for example, against the voyeuristic explorations of the human body in certain advertisements, or against the solicitations of certain media that go too far in the exhibition of intimate things. Modesty inspires a way of life which makes it possible to resist the allurements of fashion and the pressures of prevailing ideologies.

wetwo
Student

Post #7

Post by wetwo »

mms20102 wrote: [Replying to post 2 by wetwo]

I can claim it's against religion since your bible said "Corinthians 11:6 (For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head). Let alone that just cutting hair was considered to be a disgrace or covering head, what about being naked ?!.
I don't judge things you do at your home but in public, I guess it's considered to be violating others' freedom.
Thank you so much for your thoughts on this subject. With respect, I think you are a little out of context with the verse, there is no connection from hair and head cover to nudity.
I am not sure that if my husband and my self are naked in public how that is taking other's rights away, just as someone's clothing does not effect my rights.

wetwo
Student

our kids are ready to "come out" that they are nud

Post #8

Post by wetwo »

This may not be what most of you would celebrate as parents, however as parents who have raised kids as nudists, you could say for us it is pretty major. My husband and I have always taught that it has to be their decision if they decided to join the nudist lifestyle "openly" to the public or not. At the ages of 18 and 20, they have both decided to announce it to the world. As you have seen at the top of this thread, they were with us when my husband and I went naked on craigslist in our home town and seen that the reaction was pretty wild. We are all making a weekend trip to North Dakota (yea we need to get out of the house) and they asked us if would be willing to do it again and they would join us. HECK YEA, we would be proud to do it, SO we are announcing right here that our first "on line" public nudist family appearance with be this coming Saturday night on the North Dakota / Rants and Raves at 10pm (Chicago time). You are all welcomed to check it out (if you want) and in addition we will be on here posting (not naked) and giving everyone live feedback to what the results are (if any). Let us know if you will be joining us!!!

wetwo
Student

the pictures just posted on craigslsit

Post #9

Post by wetwo »

Our son decided not to do it but our daughter has gone naked for the first time. let's get a discussion going

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

What I find odd is that so many Christians abhor nudity, yet this how god expected humans to live when he first created them. And in light of god's original plan, I would think Christians would be honoring nudity if not aspiring to it when they can--weather being the significant game changer.

So I guess my question to Christians is, does this not make sense, and if not why not?