Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

God's Inordinate Interest In Sex

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Compiled by Openbible.info: "100 Bible Verses about Sex"

Hebrews 13:4 ESV /
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 ESV /
The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

1 Corinthians 6:18 ESV /
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.

Genesis 2:24 ESV /
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

1 Corinthians 7:2 ESV /
But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

Proverbs 5:18-19 ESV /
Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth, a lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated always in her love.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 ESV /
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;

Matthew 5:28 ESV /
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20 ESV /
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

1 Corinthians 7:5 ESV /
Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Colossians 3:5 ESV /
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

Exodus 20:14 ESV /
“You shall not commit adultery.

Genesis 39:7-10 ESV /
And after a time his master's wife cast her eyes on Joseph and said, “Lie with me.” But he refused and said to his master's wife, “Behold, because of me my master has no concern about anything in the house, and he has put everything that he has in my charge. He is not greater in this house than I am, nor has he kept back anything from me except yourself, because you are his wife. How then can I do this great wickedness and sin against God?” And as she spoke to Joseph day after day, he would not listen to her, to lie beside her or to be with her.

1 Corinthians 6:13 ESV /
“Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ESV /
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Proverbs 6:32 ESV /
He who commits adultery lacks sense; he who does it destroys himself.

Romans 13:13-14 ESV /
Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

Ephesians 5:3 ESV /
But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints.

Galatians 5:19-21 ESV /
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Leviticus 18:22 ESV /
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 ESV /
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

1 Corinthians 7:1-2 ESV /
Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

1 Timothy 1:10 ESV /
The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

Romans 1:26-27 ESV /
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Mark 7:20-23 ESV /
And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”

1 Thessalonians 4:3 ESV /
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;

2 Timothy 2:22 ESV /
So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

1 Thessalonians 4:7 ESV /
For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness.

Galatians 5:19 ESV /
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,

Genesis 1:28 ESV /
And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Job 31:1 ESV /
“I have made a covenant with my eyes; how then could I gaze at a virgin?

1 Corinthians 6:12-20 ESV /
“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything. “Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.” ...

Jude 1:7 ESV /
Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

1 Corinthians 6:9 ESV /
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

1 John 2:15-16 ESV /
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.

1 Thessalonians 4:4 ESV /
That each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor,

Genesis 1:27 ESV /
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Romans 1:24-27 ESV /
Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Proverbs 5:19 ESV /
A lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated always in her love.

1 Peter 2:11 ESV /
Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.

Titus 2:12 ESV /
Training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age,

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 ESV /
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 7:9 ESV /
But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Exodus 22:19 ESV /
“Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death.

2 Corinthians 12:21 ESV /
I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced.

1 Corinthians 10:8 ESV /
We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single day.

Romans 1:27 ESV /
And the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Matthew 5:27-30 ESV /
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

Revelation 21:8 ESV /
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Song of Solomon 1:1-17 ESV /
The Song of Songs, which is Solomon's. Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine; your anointing oils are fragrant; your name is oil poured out; therefore virgins love you. Draw me after you; let us run. The king has brought me into his chambers. We will exult and rejoice in you; we will extol your love more than wine; rightly do they love you. I am very dark, but lovely, O daughters of Jerusalem, like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon. ...

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 ESV /
To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Mark 10:6-9 ESV /
But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female.’ ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”

Genesis 2:25 ESV /
And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Romans 13:9 ESV /
For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Genesis 4:1 ESV /
Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, saying, “I have gotten a man with the help of the Lord.”

1 Corinthians 6:11 ESV /
And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-4 ESV /
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor,

Song of Solomon 4:13-16 ESV /
Your shoots are an orchard of pomegranates with all choicest fruits, henna with nard, nard and saffron, calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense, myrrh and aloes, with all choice spices— a garden fountain, a well of living water, and flowing streams from Lebanon. Awake, O north wind, and come, O south wind! Blow upon my garden, let its spices flow. Let my beloved come to his garden, and eat its choicest fruits.

Genesis 29:23 ESV /
But in the evening he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob, and he went in to her.

Romans 1:26 ESV /
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature;

Acts 15:29 ESV /
That you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.”

Proverbs 5:15-19 ESV /
Drink water from your own cistern, flowing water from your own well. Should your springs be scattered abroad, streams of water in the streets? Let them be for yourself alone, and not for strangers with you. Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth, a lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated always in her love.

Genesis 4:25 ESV /
And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said, “God has appointed for me another offspring instead of Abel, for Cain killed him.”

1 Corinthians 7:1-40 ESV /
Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. ...

1 Corinthians 5:1 ESV /
It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife.

Song of Solomon 7:7 ESV /
Your stature is like a palm tree, and your breasts are like its clusters.

1 Corinthians 7:3-4 ESV /
The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

Leviticus 18:23 ESV / 24 helpful votes
And you shall not lie with any animal and so make yourself unclean with it, neither shall any woman give herself to an animal to lie with it: it is perversion.

Galatians 6:1-18 ESV /
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load. ...

Matthew 15:19-20 ESV /
For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.”

Deuteronomy 24:5 ESV /
“When a man is newly married, he shall not go out with the army or be liable for any other public duty. He shall be free at home one year to be happy with his wife whom he has taken.

Genesis 4:17 ESV /
Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. When he built a city, he called the name of the city after the name of his son, Enoch.

Titus 1:15 ESV /
To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-7 ESV /
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness.

Proverbs 31:2-3 ESV /
What are you doing, my son? What are you doing, son of my womb? What are you doing, son of my vows? Do not give your strength to women, your ways to those who destroy kings.

Genesis 1:27-28 ESV /
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

1 John 1:9 ESV /
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

2 Kings 23:7 ESV /
And he broke down the houses of the male cult prostitutes who were in the house of the Lord, where the women wove hangings for the Asherah.

1 Kings 15:12 ESV /
He put away the male cult prostitutes out of the land and removed all the idols that his fathers had made.

Deuteronomy 22:13-21 ESV /
“If any man takes a wife and goes in to her and then hates her and accuses her of misconduct and brings a bad name upon her, saying, ‘I took this woman, and when I came near her, I did not find in her evidence of virginity,’ then the father of the young woman and her mother shall take and bring out the evidence of her virginity to the elders of the city in the gate. And the father of the young woman shall say to the elders, ‘I gave my daughter to this man to marry, and he hates her; and behold, he has accused her of misconduct, saying, “I did not find in your daughter evidence of virginity.” And yet this is the evidence of my daughter's virginity.’ And they shall spread the cloak before the elders of the city. ...

1 Thessalonians 4:3-8 ESV /
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. ...

1 Corinthians 6:19 ESV /
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,

1 John 4:7-8 ESV /
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Ephesians 5:33 ESV /
However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

1 Corinthians 6:16 ESV /
Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.”

Song of Solomon 4:16 ESV /
Awake, O north wind, and come, O south wind! Blow upon my garden, let its spices flow. Let my beloved come to his garden, and eat its choicest fruits.

1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV /
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

1 Corinthians 7:1 ESV /
Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.”

Acts 15:19-20 ESV /
Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God, but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood.

Song of Solomon 7:6-12 ESV /
How beautiful and pleasant you are, O loved one, with all your delights! Your stature is like a palm tree, and your breasts are like its clusters. I say I will climb the palm tree and lay hold of its fruit. Oh may your breasts be like clusters of the vine, and the scent of your breath like apples, and your mouth like the best wine. It goes down smoothly for my beloved, gliding over lips and teeth. I am my beloved's, and his desire is for me. ...

Numbers 31:17-18 ESV /
Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him keep alive for yourselves.

Genesis 38:8-9 ESV /
Then Judah said to Onan, “Go in to your brother's wife and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.” But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his. So whenever he went in to his brother's wife he would waste the semen on the ground, so as not to give offspring to his brother.

Ephesians 5:21-25 ESV /
Submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

Ephesians 5:3-5 ESV /
But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Ecclesiastes 4:11 ESV /
Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone?

Proverbs 1:1-7 ESV /
The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel: To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth— Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance, ...

Leviticus 18:20 ESV /
And you shall not lie sexually with your neighbor's wife and so make yourself unclean with her.

Genesis 19:1-38 ESV /
The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed himself with his face to the earth and said, “My lords, please turn aside to your servant's house and spend the night and wash your feet. Then you may rise up early and go on your way.” They said, “No; we will spend the night in the town square.” But he pressed them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house. And he made them a feast and baked unleavened bread, and they ate. But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. And they called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them.” ...

Revelation 1:1-20 ESV /
The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood ...

1 Corinthians 7:3 ESV /
The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. [/indent

Thoughts?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: God's Inordinate Interest In Sex

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:03 am
So, OK, let's look at the truth table:
When it comes to godly conduct the bible is my "truth table", everything else is just so much white noise.

As one of Jehovahs Witnesses I believe Almighty God is communicating his standards for those that want to please him through the bible, and as such its laws on sexual behaviour have meaning. We thus seek to understand for example what the word "fornication" (Greek pornia) MEANS in order to follow its mandate to avoid doing it. We dont decide word meaning based on our feelings, what we would like it to mean or whether or not living with someone out of wedlock is socially acceptable.

As you can see our approach is totally different from the majority of believers but thank for sharing your own,

JW

What is the biblical meaning of porneia (fornication/sexual immorality)?
viewtopic.php?p=403789#p403789
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Memorial of Jesus’ Death: Sunday, March 24, 2024
FIND A LOCATION NEAR YOU: https://apps.jw.org/ui/E/meeting-search.html#/memorial

Miles
Savant

Post #22

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 pm
2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:03 am
So, OK, let's look at the truth table:
When it comes to godly conduct the bible is my "truth table", everything else is just so much white noise.

As one of Jehovahs Witnesses I believe Almighty God is communicating his standards for those that want to please him through the bible, and as such its laws on sexual behaviour have meaning. We thus seek to understand for example what the word "fornication" (Greek pornia) MEANS in order to follow its mandate to avoid doing it. We dont decide word meaning based on our feelings, what we would like it to mean or whether or not living with someone out of wedlock is socially acceptable.
As someone who, I assume, wants to please god by adhering to his standards should we presume you have a slave or two of your own, or would if you could?

Some of god's standards regarding slaves and slavery:

Ephesians 6:5
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ,

Leviticus 25:44-46
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Exodus 21:20-21
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Titus 2:9-10
Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.

Exodus 21:26-27
“When a man strikes the eye of his slave, male or female, and destroys it, he shall let the slave go free because of his eye. If he knocks out the tooth of his slave, male or female, he shall let the slave go free because of his tooth.

1 Timothy 6:1
Let all who are under a yoke as slaves regard their own masters as worthy of all honor, so that the name of God and the teaching may not be reviled.

Exodus 21:2
When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing.

Ephesians 6:5-8
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free.

Exodus 21:7
“When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do.

Exodus 21:20-21
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

etc.

etc.

etc.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Miles wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:14 pm
As someone who, I assume, wants to please god by adhering to his standards should we presume you have a slave or two of your own, or would if you could?

Are you suggesting any of those passages order Christians to own slaves in order to please God?

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SLAVERY, THE MOSAIC LAW and ...CHRISTIANITY
FIND A LOCATION NEAR YOU: https://apps.jw.org/ui/E/meeting-search.html#/memorial

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by 2ndRateMind »

2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:03 am So, OK, let's look at the truth table:
... and as such its laws on sexual behaviour have meaning...
JW
Of course they have meaning. That is not in dispute. But if only the route to a blissful life were so simple as your prescription, and that the Bible were as rational. Problem is, the authors of the Bible were ignorant of what we would today describe as basic logic, or even basic philosophy more widely. Hence a lot of the Bible, eg, Leviticus, or the letters of Paul the apostle, read like a list of assertions, made without justification, which one may therefore take or leave according to one's mindset.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Miles
Savant

Post #25

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:32 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Are you suggesting any of those passages order Christians to own slaves in order to please God?
[/u][/color][/url]
Before i answer your question you still have mine to answer.

"Curious; I know that god doesn't like it when single people have consensual sexual relations with one another, be they straight or homosexual, and that you agree, but to my knowledge he has never given a substantial reason for it. So, can you? Do you have a justifiable reason for not engaging in it?" Other than because god doesn't
like it.

and

"As someone who, I assume, wants to please god by adhering to his standards should we presume you have a slave or two of your own, or would if you could?"

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

WHAT REASONS ARE GIVEN IN SCRIPTURE AS TO WHY SEXUAL IMMORALITY IS PROHIBITED ?

Hebrews 13:4 ESV
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20 GWT
Stay away from sexual sins. Other sins that people commit don't affect their bodies the same way sexual sins do. People who sin sexually sin against their own bodies.

1 Corinthians 6:19 GWT
Don't you know that your body is a temple that belongs to the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit, whom you received from God, lives in you. You don't belong to yourselves.

Mark 7:20-23 ESV /
And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.” (Also see Matthew 15:19-20, 1 Thessalonians 4:7 )

Galatians 5:19-21 ESV /
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. (compare 1 Cor 6:9-10)

JW

FURTHER READING Is premarital sex wrong?
https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines ... sex-wrong/

RELATED POSTS

WHY does God prohibit deviant sexual behaviours?
viewtopic.php?p=994394#p994394

WHY does scripture prohibit sexual immorality?
viewtopic.php?p=1019649#p1019649

Does the bible advocate celibacy?
viewtopic.php?p=1058174#p1058174

Do people become married simply by having sexual intercourse?
viewtopic.php?p=402971#p402971

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , CHILD ABUSE and ...SEXUAL IMMORALITY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed May 11, 2022 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #27

SEX IN THE BIBLE
What bible verses deal with the subject of sex ?
viewtopic.php?p=1019138#p1019138

What verses have rather questionally been classified by some as being "about sex"
viewtopic.php?p=799683#p799683

Does the bible have a disproportionate number of verses dealing with sex?
viewtopic.php?p=799645#p799645

Are there an inordinate amount of bible verses that address sexual issues?
viewtopic.php?p=1029809#p1029809

Are religious people obsessed with sex?
viewtopic.php?p=799646#p799646

Why is God so interested in sex?
viewtopic.php?p=1029713#p1029713

What bible principles are violated by the use of pornogrphy?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 03#p844203

Is the Song of Solomon pornographic?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 37#p358037

Does the bible condone sex slavery?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 27#p957227
NUDITY
Why did Adam and Eve become ashamed of their nudity?
viewtopic.php?p=997976#p997976

Whose fault was it Adam and Eve grew ashamed of their own naked bodies? [this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1019568#p1019568

Is there anything wrong with public nudity?
viewtopic.php?p=1013293#p1013293
SEX & SEXUALITY
Was sexual intercourse the "original sin"?
viewtopic.php?p=954188#p954188

Does the bible portray sex between married people as "bad", "dirty" or "ungodly"? (1 Cor 7:1)
viewtopic.php?p=1019576#p1019576

Does the bible present sex as "distasteful" " immoral" or "reprehensible"?
viewtopic.php?p=1031631#p1031631

Is KISSING sinful?
viewtopic.php?p=1016904#p1016904

Is there any harm in intimate kisses between teens or people that are not committed or married?
viewtopic.php?p=1016932#p1016932

Will people be able to have sex in PARADISE?
viewtopic.php?p=927363#p927363

Does anyone have sex in heaven?
viewtopic.php?p=927909#p927909

Do people become married simply by having sexual intercourse?
viewtopic.php?p=402971#p402971
PROHIBITIONS
Was sexual intercourse the original sin?
viewtopic.php?p=954188#p954188

Is conjugal violence biblically ground for divorce?
viewtopic.php?p=1014005#p1014005

Were the verses of John 7:53 - 8:11 [also known as the pericope adulterae]/[the Pericope de Adultera] part of John's original gospel?
viewtopic.php?p=813108#p813108

Is pedophilia prohibited in scripture?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 98#p956998

WHY does scripture prohibit sexual immorality?
viewtopic.php?p=1019649#p1019649

What bible principles are violated by anal or cunnilingus/oral sex?
viewtopic.php?p=1016856#p1016856

Does the bible advocate celibacy?
viewtopic.php?p=1058174#p1058174

#Does the Hebrew tradition of concubines equate to a toleration of sex outside of marriage under the Mosaic law?
viewtopic.php?p=404524#p404524

SEX, SIN and ...HOMOSEXUALITY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Wootah
Savant

Post #28

Post by Wootah »

2ndRateMind wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:26 am
2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:03 am So, OK, let's look at the truth table:
JW
Of course they have meaning. That is not in dispute. But if only the route to a blissful life were so simple as your prescription, and that the Bible were as rational. Problem is, the authors of the Bible were ignorant of what we would today describe as basic logic, or even basic philosophy more widely. Hence a lot of the Bible, eg, Leviticus, or the letters of Paul the apostle, read like a list of assertions, made without justification, which one may therefore take or leave according to one's mindset.

Best wishes, 2RM.
I thought it simpler to report your post but it has gotten through the reporting process and remains. Do you notice you have accused the Bible of making claims with evidence and then you did?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Wootah wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:49 am
2ndRateMind wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:26 am
JW

Best wishes, 2RM.
I thought it simpler to report your post but it has gotten through the reporting process and remains. Do you notice you have accused the Bible of making claims with evidence and then you did?
I have never once found it necessary to report a post, on this forum or any other. I would much prefer to debate with those who disagree with me, rather than have their point of view taken down. The debate tends to indicate to me when I am right (which is mostly!) or wrong (which is rarely!) Anyway, maybe you would like to clarify your objection to what I have written, since I am not sure I understand what it is?

(By the way, I accused parts of the Bible of making claims devoid of both evidence and logic. Is that your problem?)

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by 2ndRateMind »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:57 am Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. (compare 1 Cor 6:9-10)[/indent]
So, my own feeling is that God is far more forgiving about loving, consensual sex, than He is about the distribution of the world's wealth. You don't need that much to live on, and live well. But people who suck up more wealth than that basic need are effectively denying their own happy state to others. We live in a finite world with finite resources; it is high time we recognised that in our economic, philosophical and theological calculations.

If whosoever earns the keys to Heaven, (in popular theology, said to be St Peter) I should be most disappointed in him if he let in billionaires before adulterers and homosexuals.

Best wishes, 2RM