God's Distaste For Sex

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

God's Distaste For Sex

Post #1

Post by Miles »

God really comes down on just about everything that has to do with sexuality.

1) NAKEDNESS

Genesis 2:25
The man and his wife were naked, but they were not ashamed.

But after eating the apple;

Genesis 3:7
At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves.

2) HOMOSEXUAL SEX

Leviticus 20:13
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

INCLUDING WOMEN although to a far lesser extent.

Romans 1:26
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature;

3) ORAL and ANAL SEX

Romans 1:26-27:
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Of course this doesn't say a thing about men and women having anal or oral sex with each other, but that's the way most Fundamentalists Christians like to read it and similar verses. Why? I'll let them answer that.

4) BESTIALITY

Exodus 22:19
19 You must not allow anyone to have sexual relations with an animal. If this happens, that person must be killed.

5) FORNICATION

1 Corinthians 7:2
2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Fornication: "generally; consensual sexual intercourse between two people not married to each other. An example of fornication is sexual intercourse between an unmarried man and an unmarried woman."

6) ADULTERY

Exodus 20:14
14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

7) SEXUAL INTERCOURSE

Even good ol' legal-in-all-fifty-states male/female sexual intercourse is frowned upon

1 Corinthians 7:1
Now for the matters you wrote about: "It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.

8) ADULTERY BY PROXY

And one doesn't even have to participate in sex to be at fault

Matthew 5:28
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

9) MASTURBATION

Although masturbation isn't frowned upon (other than by Christian fundamentalists who read vague verses so as to include it,) semen is considered to be a fairly horrible substance, unless, of course, it finds its way into the vagina of one's wife.

Leviticus 15:16-17
“If a man has an emission of semen, [assumed to be regardless of the cause] he shall bathe his whole body in water and be unclean until the evening. And every garment and every skin on which the semen comes shall be washed with water and be unclean until the evening.

10) MENSTRUAL FLUIDS

And, of course, for women their situation is even worse.

Leviticus 15:19
19 If a woman has a discharge from her monthly time of bleeding, she will be unclean for seven days. Anyone who touches her will be unclean until evening.
which can be passed along to menfolk

A burden that can be passed along to men.

Leviticus 15:24
24 If a man has sexual relations with a woman during her monthly time of bleeding, he will be unclean for seven days. Every bed he lies on will be unclean.

11) PROSTITUTION

Leviticus 19:29
“Do not profane your daughter by making her a prostitute, lest the land fall into prostitution and the land become full of depravity.

So, what do you think is going on with god and his rejection of just about everything that has to do with sex, a natural disposition he saw fit to endow the whole human race with?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: God's Distaste For Sex

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:58 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:33 am
Miles wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:12 pm
So there is a recognized correlation between nudity and sexuality.
And is there anything in the Genesis account to indicate either nudity or sexuality was considered shameful in God's eyes?
Yes there is. Agreeing with the shame A&E felt in their nakedness:

There is no doubt they were ashamed of their nakedness post sin but was there any indication that God viewed nudity or sexuality of itself shameful (prior to the event )? ie Was there any causal link between their shame and their sexuality/nudity in Gods eyes?

It seems reasonable to pose this question since if initially either was shameful in their perfect state, He presumably would not have blessed them as he did (while being both naked as they were) or instructed them to follow through on ther sexual impulses.

Miles wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:58 pmThe shame of nudity was the first consequence of committing the sin of eating the apple.

So? So what?! All that established is sin has a negative effect on one's sexuality. It does not imply that sexuality is negative any more than if a drunk driver ran over your dog it would prove your dog had a drinking problem; being impacted doesn't establish causality.

JW

For more details please go to other posts related to...

THE GARDEN OF EDEN , ADAM and ... THE DECEPTION OF EVE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memorial of Jesus’ Death: Sunday, March 24, 2024
FIND A LOCATION NEAR YOU: https://apps.jw.org/ui/E/meeting-search.html#/memorial

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:27 am
Miles wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:11 pm is frowned upon

1 Corinthians 7:1
Now for the matters you wrote about: "It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.
Since Corinthians 7 verse 1 refers to "a man" and "a woman" (rather than a husband and his wife), can we not conclude that Paul was saying it was good for a man (or, by implication a woman) not to have sex with anyone at all including their own marriage parner?
Yes, because like it or not that's what "It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” means.
JehovahsWitness wrote: No, because as has already been stated in my earlier post he (Paul) immediately qualified the situation for married people stating they must not deprive each other of sex and that it is NOT good to abstain from sex for long periods within the marriage union .
I don't recall any verse where it's said that "it is NOT good to abstain from sex for long periods within the marriage union." Got one? Yet I do remember 1 Corinthians 7: 4, that says:

"4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

which has me scratching my head. In any case, this is the part where god, through Paul, although feeling men and women shouldn't have sex, recognized the practicalities of the situation and gave a begrudging go-ahead.

JehovahsWitness wrote: So would it be fair to say, Paul is advocating abstinence for all "men and women" that are unmarried?
Yes it is, as well as for all married people---recall he doesn't single out any combination of couples---but god gives married couples a bye on this point because he realizes the sexual lust he's imbued people with is stronger than his admonition against ever having sexual intercourse. (God really has a thing against sex, doesn't he.)

GOD: "Although it is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman, I know you can't keep your pants up or you, your skirt down, so here's what Ill do. I'll create a binding union between the two of you wherein you can wail together until the cows come home and I won't raise a finger against you. Okay?"

WOMAN: Great!

MAN: . . . . . . Okay I guess, but I can still fool around with other women can't I?

GOD: Do that and I'll come down on you like a ton of bricks.

MAN: Sheesh, Let me think it over a bit. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Yeah. Okay I guess.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

It would be sad, in my opinion, to think a being that created anything 'comes down on' the things it created. I suppose it's totally possible, just sad and a sad excuse for such a being.
It must be honestly understood that God did not write the bible, people did. Flawed, biased people with a political and social bent to (assuming God influenced them) their interpretation of what they saw/heard/were told, or what they witnessed. Either way, there has to be some room for ambiguousness, though many believers choose not to believe this is possible.
It fits their chosen lifestyle so it makes sense for them to do so, especially when it comes to being dishonest with themselves. After all, they only have to be true to themselves, no one else.

Assuming God is real, I find it hard to believe that, in this case, he would be interested in any sexual activity so long as it doesn't hurt the people involved and they entered in to the sex act willingly.

If any sex act can make a being such as God angry, upset, mad, happy, etc strikes me as odd. And very human-like.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #14

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:37 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]

It would be sad, in my opinion, to think a being that created anything 'comes down on' the things it created. I suppose it's totally possible, just sad and a sad excuse for such a being.
It must be honestly understood that God did not write the bible, people did. Flawed, biased people with a political and social bent to (assuming God influenced them) their interpretation of what they saw/heard/were told, or what they witnessed. Either way, there has to be some room for ambiguousness, though many believers choose not to believe this is possible.
That's one of Christianity's and Judiasm's neat loop holes. It allows the believer to pick whatever verses he needs to back up his faith by asserting they come from god, and leave all others aside, claiming they were concocted by man.

It's no wonder there are more than 200 distinct Christian bodies in the United States.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:21 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:37 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]

That's one of Christianity's and Judiasm's neat loop holes. It allows the believer to pick whatever verses he needs to back up his faith by asserting they come from god, and leave all others aside, claiming they were concocted by man.

It's no wonder there are more than 200 distinct Christian bodies in the United States.

To be fair I there are more religions ( I suspect) that would have this issue. Religions are man made after all. But yes, it is rather convenient 8-)
Have a great, potentially godless, day!