Interest in homosexuality

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Interest in homosexuality

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

There are many posts in various locations here (or conversations that include) homosexuality. I wonder, why all the interest in something which, I assume, many people here don't participate?

Why do Christians tend to gravitate to the issue as a major problem they must rail against? I suspect there are many other ideas and concepts better served for Christians to take arms against (homelessness, poverty, abuse from higher members of the church....saving souls...).

Homosexuality does nothing to hamper a Christian's ability to worship as they see fit, so why do they seem so keen to argue about it here (and, in some states in the USA, try to make the gay lifestyle difficult in various illegal
ways)?

Is it repressed homosexual feelings and lashing out against it, somehow, eases your guilt (can't stop looking at that sexy dude in the car at the stop light there, can ya?!?)?

Do they think they can 'catch it'?

Some grand conspiracy that 'the gays' have an agenda to indoctrinate their children (much like Christianity has to indoctrinate, which is of course, fine and dandy)?

And why does it seem, most gay conversations deal with two men? There are women that are gay. But maybe that visual of two women together doesn't repulse these upstanding Christians like two guys?

So what's the deal?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bluegreenearth
Guru

Re: Interest in homosexuality

Post #2

Post by bluegreenearth »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

In all fairness, as an agnostic atheist and alley of the homosexual community, I'm often the first one who introduces this topic with theists about their perspective on homosexuality and other social issues. However, your inquiry into the motivation behind a theistic prohibition against homosexuality is valid nonetheless.

tam
Savant

Post #3

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

You ask a good question. I believe Christ asked a similar question:

Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye?

It's easier to point a finger than it is to look in the mirror.

And as you suggested, it may also be a matter of 'the lady doth protest too much'. Or perhaps 'too loudly'. Certainly there are cases where the person protesting the loudest is the person who later gets caught red-handed in a same-sex act.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

bluegreenearth wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:30 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

In all fairness, as an agnostic atheist and alley of the homosexual community, I'm often the first one who introduces this topic with theists about their perspective on homosexuality and other social issues. However, your inquiry into the motivation behind a theistic prohibition against homosexuality is valid nonetheless.
I understand why a Christian would be against homosexuality (though not all Christians are it must be noted), but no more than any other thing the perceive as a sin. And while it seems it has died down some now as Christians have other societal sins to chase these days, but for a while it was like it was the Christian 'go-to' to complaining and actively trying to make the lives of gay people as difficult as possible. Thus, it seemed they had a natural fascination with it, which makes no sense to me outside of a guilty conscious.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!