Tcg
Savant

Re: what is the difference between love and sex

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:51 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:31 am
Miles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:39 pm To me, love is inseparable from a desire to mate and reproduce.
Then what should we think of those who claim to love their parents, or worse yet, to love their children?
There are many definitions of love.
Indeed there are, including Purple Knight's above.

You cut off the one I recommended:

.....A rather strong one is "an unconditional positive regard."

Do you disagree with it?

Tcg

Miles
Savant

Post #22

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:07 am
Miles wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:51 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:31 am
Purple Knight wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:39 pm To me, love is inseparable from a desire to mate and reproduce.
Then what should we think of those who claim to love their parents, or worse yet, to love their children?
There are many definitions of love.
Indeed there are, including Purple Knight's above.
You cut off the one I recommended:

.....A rather strong one is "an unconditional positive regard."

Do you disagree with it?
Not at all. My question about parents and children was aimed only at Purple Knight's idea of love.

brunumb
Savant

Post #23

Post by brunumb »

My 2 cents worth:
Sex is a physical connection between people that may or may not involve love.
Love is an emotional connection between people that may or may not involve sex.
You can get bogged done in all sorts of definitions and nuances (as seen in the debate about the meaning of atheism) but to what end? What was the goal of the original debate question?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Purple Knight »

Children are reproduction. Loving one's children is not inconsistent with my idea of love.

Miles
Savant

Post #25

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:29 pm
Children are reproduction. Loving one's children is not inconsistent with my idea of love.

Considering that "Loving one's children is not inconsistent with my idea of love," and your love being "inseparable from a desire to mate and reproduce," when you love your child you "desire to mate and reproduce" with them. ... Interesting. Sick, but interesting.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:39 pmConsidering that "Loving one's children is not inconsistent with my idea of love," and your love being "inseparable from a desire to mate and reproduce," when you love your child you "desire to mate and reproduce" [s]with[/s] through them.
There. That's closer to what I mean. Children are a part of the desire for reproduction. Children can spread one's DNA. Lots of people want grandchildren. That's not sick.

If I didn't want to be called sick I could have just said no to loving one's children. I could have just said, no, that's friendship in my book, not love. Instead I chose to be honest and say that in my book, what one feels for one's children is a part of the desire to continue to reproduce, so I do still count it as love.

In addition, the thread focuses on romantic love in the first place. I don't think we're being asked the difference between sex and love for something like chocolate or a favourite shirt.

Miles
Savant

Post #27

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:52 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:39 pmConsidering that "Loving one's children is not inconsistent with my idea of love," and your love being "inseparable from a desire to mate and reproduce," when you love your child you "desire to mate and reproduce" [s]with[/s] through them.
There. That's closer to what I mean. Children are a part of the desire for reproduction. Children can spread one's DNA. Lots of people want grandchildren. That's not sick.
You can change the words I use ["with" to "through"] all you want, but your little ploy here doesn't change the fact that considering that "Loving one's children is not inconsistent with my idea of love," and your love being "inseparable from a desire to mate and reproduce," when you love your child MEANS you "desire to mate and reproduce" with them. It's as simple as A + B = C.

If I didn't want to be called sick I could have just said no to loving one's children. I could have just said, no, that's friendship in my book, not love. Instead I chose to be honest and say that in my book, what one feels for one's children is a part of the desire to continue to reproduce, so I do still count it as love.
Could have, would have, should have still doesn't change what you've already said: considering that "Loving one's children is not inconsistent with my idea of love," and your love being "inseparable from a desire to mate and reproduce," when you love your child MEANS you "desire to mate and reproduce" with them.

In addition, the thread focuses on romantic love in the first place. I don't think we're being asked the difference between sex and love for something like chocolate or a favourite shirt.
Hey, you're the one who brought up the "desire to mate and reproduce." Not me.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:38 amYou can change the words I use ["with" to "through"] all you want, but your little ploy here doesn't change the fact that considering that "Loving one's children is not inconsistent with my idea of love," and your love being "inseparable from a desire to mate and reproduce," when you love your child MEANS you "desire to mate and reproduce" with them.
It doesn't. You added the word with.

Miles
Savant

Post #29

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:43 am
Miles wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:38 amYou can change the words I use ["with" to "through"] all you want, but your little ploy here doesn't change the fact that considering that "Loving one's children is not inconsistent with my idea of love," and your love being "inseparable from a desire to mate and reproduce," when you love your child MEANS you "desire to mate and reproduce" with them.
It doesn't. You added the word with.
Yes I did, although not to your quote, but as part of my explication of what you said.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:09 amYes I did, although not to your quote, but as part of my explication of what you said.
Maybe you should stop arguing with me about what I meant.

It's my personal definition of love, which is inseparable from (but not identical to) the desire to mate and reproduce.

In my book, you can love your parents in this way, or your children, because that's all linked with the desire to mate and reproduce. You don't have to literally mate with them; they can be a culmination of your desire to reproduce or you can be a culmination of theirs. The desire to mate and reproduce is still part of the equation.

Note that this isn't the only way I use the word love. I don't refrain from saying I love decked-out salads or fried rice. However, this particular meaning of love is special. I think the deepest sort of love is inextricably bound with the desire to mate and reproduce.