Immoral Sex And Scripture

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Immoral Sex And Scripture

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Under what interpretation of scripture is masturbation, oral sex, or anal sex, other than male-male, deemed immoral?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Immoral Sex And Scripture

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:34 pm .

Under what interpretation of scripture is masturbation, oral sex, or anal sex, other than male-male, deemed immoral?

Does female-female sex count in this too, or only male-male?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:17 am

I believe anal sex is only verboten in male-male encounters.

So females, go ahead, strap it, and have a ball.

That aside, what I find interesting about the folk here at Debating Christianity and Religion is that threads regarding sex, and particularly sex in the Bible, are a real no-no. So few if any members ever respond. Go figure.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Miles on Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:08 pm

I believe anal sex is only mentioned as a no-no in regard to male-male encounters.

Females, go ahead, strap it, and have a ball.

Which reinforces the 'male-dominated-women-are-worthless' take on the culture of the time that wrote the bible:
Men and men? EW..NO!
Women and women? YEAH BABY!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:10 pmWhich reinforces the 'male-dominated-women-are-worthless' take on the culture of the time that wrote the bible:
Men and men? EW..NO!
You can take it that way if you like, and that's certainly one way to interpret it. It seems to say females are basically animals and thus don't really sin.

On the other hand, it gives females a permission males lack, so whether intended or not, and whatever the motives were, it objectively places them higher on the social totem pole, even if only in this one way.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #6

Post by bluegreenearth »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

I'm not a Christian apologist but willing to make a foolish attempt at steel-manning an argument they might defend in this case:

1 Corinthians 6:18-20, "Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

1 Corinthians 6:13, "Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body."

1 Thessalonians 4:3-4, "For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor,"

If you squint hard enough, a prohibition against all sexual activity apart from reproductive coitus could be interpreted from those passages. I could throw-in a little unfalsifiable claim about the "Holy Spirit" leading me to that interpretation for good measure if it helps.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:58 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]

I'm not a Christian apologist but willing to make a foolish attempt at steel-manning an argument they might defend in this case:

1 Corinthians 6:18-20, "Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

1 Corinthians 6:13, "Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body."

1 Thessalonians 4:3-4, "For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor,"

If you squint hard enough, a prohibition against all sexual activity apart from reproductive coitus could be interpreted from those passages. I could throw-in a little unfalsifiable claim about the "Holy Spirit" leading me to that interpretation for good measure if it helps.
Unfortunately, the Bible shies from saying what comprises sexual immorality here. So what I may think what you do behind bedroom doors is sexually immoral, you may not, and vice versa.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:12 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:10 pmWhich reinforces the 'male-dominated-women-are-worthless' take on the culture of the time that wrote the bible:
Men and men? EW..NO!
You can take it that way if you like, and that's certainly one way to interpret it. It seems to say females are basically animals and thus don't really sin.

On the other hand, it gives females a permission males lack, so whether intended or not, and whatever the motives were, it objectively places them higher on the social totem pole, even if only in this one way.
Fun fact:
Mormons I knew called the bolded section above 'the power of motherhood', as it pertained to their faith. As explained to me, men can be 'priests' and women can't, but to justify that, women have TPOM, which men don't.
Make no mistake though: the men were still in charge and had the final say in everything.

Kylie
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Kylie »

Miles wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:08 pm

I believe anal sex is only verboten in male-male encounters.

So females, go ahead, strap it, and have a ball.

That aside, what I find interesting about the folk here at Debating Christianity and Religion is that threads regarding sex, and particularly sex in the Bible, are a real no-no. So few if any members ever respond. Go figure.

Thanks for your input.

As someone who has dallied in that, and enjoyed it, I'm all for it (though as an atheist, I hardly care if the Bible forbids it). Just have to get my husband comfortable with the idea of polyamory. ;P

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #10

Post by AgnosticBoy »

I don't find that it would be immoral between married couples. However, I see some room for calling it immoral between a male and female who are engaging in that outside of marriage. It all has to do with the distinction between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. Technically oral and anal sex may not be against the letter of the law since the law does not cover it between an unmarried hetero couple, but it does go against the spirit of the law. So while the Bible may just speak about sexual intercourse being for marriage, but the Christian might say that the intent or reason behind that rule is that sexual pleasure was meant to be an expression of romantic love or something along those lines (maybe a Christian will offer another explanation here). If so, by implication, that would make anal and oral sex immoral among unmarried hetero couples.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB