Welcome!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

It seems to me, that new members rarely post a introduction thread anymore. As such I am making this thread as a way that new members can say hi, and get to know a couple of people on the forums.

So to all the new members:

First of all, hello! :wave:

Second, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

Armed Citizen
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by Armed Citizen »

Yeah, I had herd that one. Always purty good ta here it again.
Makes me think of this one!

:2gun:
:2gun: :usa: Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
- George Washington :2gun: :usa:

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by Lux »

I took the liberty of making this a sticky thread. Hopefully Otseng doesn't bring down the Admin hammer on me O:)

Welcome, people!
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

otseng
Savant

Post #33

Post by otseng »

Lux wrote: I took the liberty of making this a sticky thread.
Good idea.

JaneD
Student

Re: Welcome!

Post #34

Post by JaneD »

His Name Is John wrote: It seems to me, that new members rarely post a introduction thread anymore. As such I am making this thread as a way that new members can say hi, and get to know a couple of people on the forums.

So to all the new members:

First of all, hello! :wave:

Second, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Hi all, My name is Jane and I just joined.

I'm an Aussie and I love to discuss Bible topics. :D

I am a Christian, but not mainstream and I have beliefs that make some other Christians a bit uncomfortable, but I make no apology for them and can show them from the scriptures why I believe as I do. :thumb:

Hope to have some meaningful and respectful discussions. :yes:

I will be reading a while so as to get a feel for the place....so catch you all later.

:wave:

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Goat »

Welcome to the forum Jane.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

olavisjo
Site Supporter

Re: Welcome!

Post #36

Post by olavisjo »

JaneD wrote: I have beliefs that make some other Christians a bit uncomfortable...
I am already uncomfortable. :sweat:

Welcome to the forum.
"I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof for any of them, and from a philosophical standpoint Christianity is not even the best. All religions, that is, all mythologies to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention..."

C.S. Lewis

Valarian
Student

Hello to the forum

Post #37

Post by Valarian »

Hi, I'm Ian and I'm from the UK. I was brought up as a Methodist and attended regular Sunday school as a child. Even from an early age, I couldn't accept certain doctrines as valid, especially that of the Trinity. I never went through confirmation, as I couldn't subscribe to a set of beliefs that I didn't believe in. I did, however, retain an interest in Christianity - especially early 1st century Christianity, biblical textual criticism and the reformation period. I have read the Bible (several times), the Qur'an, the Noble Eightfold Path. I have explored/studied animist and other pagan belief systems. I have even started to look in to the Eastern Orthodox churches and their differences with Western Christianity.

I would consider myself a traditional Unitarian Christian dissenter, and I am a regular attendee at a local Unitarian church.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by Lux »

Welcome, Ian :wave: Sounds like you have done some research. I'm curious about Unitarianism, so if you don't mind me asking, do you believe Jesus was a prophet, an immortal son of God, God itself, or none of the above?
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Valarian
Student

Post #39

Post by Valarian »

Lux wrote: Welcome, Ian :wave: Sounds like you have done some research. I'm curious about Unitarianism, so if you don't mind me asking, do you believe Jesus was a prophet, an immortal son of God, God itself, or none of the above?
There's a joke that if you ask three Unitarians what they believe, you'll get four different answers. Personally? I consider the Bible to be the work of men, inspired by God to create a mythology (i.e. a teaching story/history) for their people. The Bible speaks moral truths which, when understood in context, can apply as much today as they did back when they were written. Jesus I view as the human son of Mary and Joseph, a righteous man of the line of David, chosen by God at his baptism to be the prophet and messiah of God. Called the Son of God, a title of the Kings of Israel, he rent the veil between us and God - bringing down the priesthood and the temple.
"The kingdom of heaven is within. It is in the spirit, the temper of the heart, the disposition, the life. And the secret of it is in cultivating love and truth and tenderness and care, those things which bring us into intimate connection with which we mean when we say, Be unselfish, and that in doing this we find our own souls." ~ Our Unitarian Gospel, Minot J. Savage

otseng
Savant

Post #40

Post by otseng »

Welcome to the forum!