Welcome!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

It seems to me, that new members rarely post a introduction thread anymore. As such I am making this thread as a way that new members can say hi, and get to know a couple of people on the forums.

So to all the new members:

First of all, hello! :wave:

Second, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

Joeseppe

Re: Welcome!

Post #481

Post by Joeseppe »

Hello to all on this Forum. I have been a non-believer for most of my 70+ years. I've been somewhat the 'Closet Atheist' trying to get by in a predominantly Christian Society. Retired for about 10 years has given me more freedom, but I'm so used to blending in that I continue to do so. I never deny my non-belief, but the subject rarely, if ever comes up in all of my interactions. I'm married to a Christian woman for 25+ years. Its worked for us and continues to work, but sometimes things get a little tense. We rarely talk religion / belief and she is not as active as most might be.

I'm hoping to engage and see how others deal with religion in their lives. I'm mostly interested in belief / non-belief and in how society has come to adopt its current view of religion.

Thanks.
-
Retired, non-believer, Atheist
"Who was the intelligent designer of your God?"

otseng
Savant

Post #482

Post by otseng »

Joeseppe wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:33 am Hello to all on this Forum.
Welcome to the forum!

Haven0

Post #483

Post by Haven0 »

Sorry, I didn’t notice this thread when I signed up. I’m not technically new (used to post here a decade ago), but this is my first time back in a long while. It’s nice to be back!
~Haven :D

Kindness is my religion

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #484

Post by TRANSPONDER »

The Transponder has landed O:)
My first post here. :)

Yes, I have a bad habit of posting smilies. Mere text is so misleadingly impersonal. A smiley can save a later protest of 'I was only kidding!' :(

About me... Though a Noob here, I have been on various debate forums since the 80's when the Internet first gave the religion debate impetus, with the rise of Creationism and the appearance of 'New' atheism. Which was just Old atheism with a voice.

I 'studied' apologetics, so to speak, on 'Positive atheism' (Cliff Walker) and went on Atheist Network for some time, and then on a couple of Christian sites ('In pursuit of God' and 'Tentmaker', both of which had lively debate) and finally on City -Data religion where I had many years learning a lot. A Lot. The problem was with it Not being a religious debate site and so had no general exposure. Theists would often ask 'Just what do you think you are accomplishing here?' And I sometimes wondered. A bit of a push recently ;) decided me to try this forum, which came recommended.

I am based in UK (so forgive the quaint spelling) and my particular interest is in NT analysis. But I'll Save it for a bit until I find my feet here.

So Hi to everyone from David.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #485

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #485]

Welcome TRANSPONDER! Keep smiling :) Enjoy whichever discussions/debates you decide to jump into. Hopefully you won't need to dial any of the 7000 series codes into yourself (pilot joke).

otseng
Savant

Post #486

Post by otseng »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:49 am The Transponder has landed O:)
My first post here. :)
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Introduction

Post #487

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to McCulloch in post #12]

Welcome (I'm pretty new myself). I vanished after a few posts because my server went down and I only just got reconnected.
I'm sure we'll have some interesting discussions (I'm atheist).

Pytine
Student

Post #488

Post by Pytine »

Hello everyone!

I'm a nonbeliever who likes debating Christianity. I'm looking forward to friendly and deep conversations with people I strongly disagree with. I'm interested in lots of topics related to the Bible and Christianity, including:
- Dating and authorship of every book of the Bible
- The minimal facts argument and other arguments for the resurrection
- Biblical prophecies
- The historicity of the patriarchs, the exodus, the conquest of Canaan, and the origins of the Israelites
- Theological developments within the Bible on topics like polytheism, the devil, the afterlife, or the nature of God
- Morality in the Bible
- The formation of the canons of the Bible
- Martyrdom of the disciples

On top of that, I also like to debate scientific topics such as the big bang, the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, evolution, the flood, or radiometric dating. From time to time I also enjoy some philosophical debates about the cosmological arguments, the finetuning argument, and so on. If you want to debate these topics with me in one way or another, just let me know.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #489

Post by Clownboat »

Pytine wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:04 am Hello everyone!

I'm a nonbeliever who likes debating Christianity. I'm looking forward to friendly and deep conversations with people I strongly disagree with. I'm interested in lots of topics related to the Bible and Christianity, including:
- Dating and authorship of every book of the Bible
- The minimal facts argument and other arguments for the resurrection
- Biblical prophecies
- The historicity of the patriarchs, the exodus, the conquest of Canaan, and the origins of the Israelites
- Theological developments within the Bible on topics like polytheism, the devil, the afterlife, or the nature of God
- Morality in the Bible
- The formation of the canons of the Bible
- Martyrdom of the disciples

On top of that, I also like to debate scientific topics such as the big bang, the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, evolution, the flood, or radiometric dating. From time to time I also enjoy some philosophical debates about the cosmological arguments, the finetuning argument, and so on. If you want to debate these topics with me in one way or another, just let me know.
Welcome to the forum!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Diogenes
Guru

Post #490

Post by Diogenes »

Pytine wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:04 am Hello everyone!

I'm a nonbeliever who likes debating Christianity. I'm looking forward to friendly and deep conversations with people I strongly disagree with.
Welcome! Good to have you here. As for good and deep discussions with theists here, I expect you will be disappointed. There are few 'Christians' here who recognize any authority other than their own, literalist, fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible. There are a few who take a more reasoned approach, but their posts are all but occluded by theists who rarely support their arguments with anything besides personal opinion and the Bible, literally interpreted and taken as the actual 'Word of God.' No rational discussion can be had with such.

The other problem here is that those theists who do try to support their views with references resort to Ken Ham, 'Creation' sites, 'Answers in Genesis,' and other highly biased, anti-academic sources.