Welcome!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

It seems to me, that new members rarely post a introduction thread anymore. As such I am making this thread as a way that new members can say hi, and get to know a couple of people on the forums.

So to all the new members:

First of all, hello! :wave:

Second, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

elphidium55
Student

new to the forum

Post #471

Post by elphidium55 »

Hello forum;

My online handle is elphidum55 which is a reference to one of my favorite microfossils. I am a former Christianity with a background in geology, theology and computer science. Recently I have taken an interest in the philosophy of religion. Some of my favorite thinkers in this area are Graham Oppy, Alex Malpass and Josh Rasmussen.

Tcg
Savant

Re: new to the forum

Post #472

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 466 by elphidium55]

Welcome to the forum, elphidum55!

Abdelrahman
Student

Post #473

Post by Abdelrahman »

Peace be unto all of you!

My name is Abdelrahman and I'm a practicing Muslim of 28 years! Its a pleasure to meet you all and join this site!

Looking forward to all the different conversations were going to have :)

tam
Savant

Post #474

Post by tam »

Thank you and peace also to you, Abdelrahman.

Welcome to the site!

Abdelrahman
Student

Post #475

Post by Abdelrahman »

wetwo
Student

Hello everyone. so happy we found this forum

Post #476

Post by wetwo »

My husband and myself are going to start off by sharing this profile and we hope that is ok with everyone and the forum and we will see how things go.
We area married couple for 25 years with 2 grown kids. We became born again Christians in our teens and love discussing aspects of all religions. We are from the Midwest and both work in sales and travel a lot, however just as many of you, we are spending time working from home these days. Please feel free to say HI and as soon as we figure out how to post a picture it will give you a better idea of who you are talking to. Stay safe everyone and hope to hear from you.[/img]

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Hello everyone. so happy we found this forum

Post #477

Post by Clownboat »

wetwo wrote:
My husband and myself are going to start off by sharing this profile and we hope that is ok with everyone and the forum and we will see how things go.
We area married couple for 25 years with 2 grown kids. We became born again Christians in our teens and love discussing aspects of all religions. We are from the Midwest and both work in sales and travel a lot, however just as many of you, we are spending time working from home these days. Please feel free to say HI and as soon as we figure out how to post a picture it will give you a better idea of who you are talking to. Stay safe everyone and hope to hear from you.[/img]

Welcome to the forum!
Looking forward to fruitful discussions.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

wetwo
Student

thanks for the welcome

Post #478

Post by wetwo »

Thanks showboat for the welcome

Faithless

Newbie!

Post #479

Post by Faithless »

Hello,
I was encouraged to introduce myself in this thread so I’m glad to acknowledge the request.

I’m a retired Medical Technologist living in Northern Colorado. I’m an agnostic that lost faith many years ago...before I knew there was such a thing as an agnostic or atheist. It was a traumatic and devastating occurrence, one which I never sought out. I came from Orthodox Judaism, explored many other faiths as I assumed I lost God due to the wrong religion. I never found God again and finally found peace by accepting my loss of faith.

I’m still fascinated with religion, however. Why some believe so strongly with such certainty and I could not. I’m also fascinated with biblical history as a hobby. It’s another topic I enjoy learning.

So, hello!

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Newbie!

Post #480

Post by Clownboat »

Faithless wrote: Hello,
I was encouraged to introduce myself in this thread so I’m glad to acknowledge the request.

I’m a retired Medical Technologist living in Northern Colorado. I’m an agnostic that lost faith many years ago...before I knew there was such a thing as an agnostic or atheist. It was a traumatic and devastating occurrence, one which I never sought out. I came from Orthodox Judaism, explored many other faiths as I assumed I lost God due to the wrong religion. I never found God again and finally found peace by accepting my loss of faith.

I’m still fascinated with religion, however. Why some believe so strongly with such certainty and I could not. I’m also fascinated with biblical history as a hobby. It’s another topic I enjoy learning.

So, hello!
Welcome to the forums!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb