Would it change anything?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Illyricum
Apprentice

Would it change anything?

Post #1

Post by Illyricum »

If someone where able to prove to the exact opposite of what you believe is true (i.e you're an atheist and someone proves to you there is a God, you're a christian and someone proves to you there is no God) would that change you're life any? Or would you just go on living your life like you were without changing anything?
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

otseng
Savant

Post #31

Post by otseng »

Corvus, thanks for creating a new thread. Let's continue the discussion over there.

And to clarify, I think Corvus understood what I meant the most out of all the people who responded here. So, his analysis of what he think I meant is in line with what I was trying to get across.

rebecca
Student

Post #32

Post by rebecca »

otseng wrote:Corvus, thanks for creating a new thread. Let's continue the discussion over there.

And to clarify, I think Corvus understood what I meant the most out of all the people who responded here. So, his analysis of what he think I meant is in line with what I was trying to get across.
The other thread is a discussion of where our morals come from. I'd still like to know, otseng, you're feelings on what you said: that you would have no problem hurting someone else for your own benefit if there is no god, and the personal ramifications of that statement.

Whether Corvus understood your feeling on morality or not, I don't care. I want to know how YOU feel about YOUR lack of morality.

otseng
Savant

Post #33

Post by otseng »

The other thread is a discussion of where our morals come from. I'd still like to know, otseng, you're feelings on what you said: that you would have no problem hurting someone else for your own benefit if there is no god, and the personal ramifications of that statement.
I don't see why this is so important of an issue. None of this applies in the real world and is only a hypothetical situation for myself only. If you are really interested in furthering the discussion, let's take this offline so as not to completely derail this thread. Send me a PM and we can discuss further.

rebecca
Student

Post #34

Post by rebecca »

otseng wrote: I don't see why this is so important of an issue. None of this applies in the real world and is only a hypothetical situation for myself only. If you are really interested in furthering the discussion, let's take this offline so as not to completely derail this thread. Send me a PM and we can discuss further.
This does apply to the real world in a very big way. If you don't see how, that's fine, and if you don't want to discuss your inherent immorality in public, that's fine, too, even though you chose to talk about it in the first place. But if you don't want to discuss it here anymore, I see no reason to discuss it privately.

concerro
Apprentice

Post #35

Post by concerro »

otseng wrote:If someone can "prove" to me with such overwhelming evidence that God does not exist and the Bible is false, then I would seriously give it consideration. Of course though, I highly doubt anyone can prove that God does not exist and that the Bible is false. :)

Let me add one further thought. Often times, it is not the facts that changes the mind, but the heart that changes the mind. Especially in regards to religion. We in western society idolize the mind and think that it should dictate our beliefs. In eastern societies, that is not the case. The heart is just as important (or even more important) as the mind in dictating beliefs.

I believe that peoples' beliefs are shaped by both the mind and the heart. It is not only a proof to the mind that is necessay, but a proof to the heart. This is why Jesus said, "By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:35) In other words, Jesus was saying, 'Do you want to show others who I am? Love one another and you will show who I am to the world.'
by false do you mean completely untrue or not completely true?