Would it change anything?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Illyricum
Apprentice

Would it change anything?

Post #1

Post by Illyricum »

If someone where able to prove to the exact opposite of what you believe is true (i.e you're an atheist and someone proves to you there is a God, you're a christian and someone proves to you there is no God) would that change you're life any? Or would you just go on living your life like you were without changing anything?
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

If someone can "prove" to me with such overwhelming evidence that God does not exist and the Bible is false, then I would seriously give it consideration. Of course though, I highly doubt anyone can prove that God does not exist and that the Bible is false. :)

Let me add one further thought. Often times, it is not the facts that changes the mind, but the heart that changes the mind. Especially in regards to religion. We in western society idolize the mind and think that it should dictate our beliefs. In eastern societies, that is not the case. The heart is just as important (or even more important) as the mind in dictating beliefs.

I believe that peoples' beliefs are shaped by both the mind and the heart. It is not only a proof to the mind that is necessay, but a proof to the heart. This is why Jesus said, "By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:35) In other words, Jesus was saying, 'Do you want to show others who I am? Love one another and you will show who I am to the world.'

Illyricum
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Illyricum »

otseng wrote:Let me add one further thought. Often times, it is not the facts that changes the mind, but the heart that changes the mind. Especially in regards to religion. We in western society idolize the mind and think that it should dictate our beliefs. In eastern societies, that is not the case. The heart is just as important (or even more important) as the mind in dictating beliefs.

I believe that peoples' beliefs are shaped by both the mind and the heart. It is not only a proof to the mind that is necessay, but a proof to the heart. This is why Jesus said, "By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:35) In other words, Jesus was saying, 'Do you want to show others who I am? Love one another and you will show who I am to the world.'
And let me say that agree 100% with what you said, Otseng. It's just that I was curious and I wanted to see if someone where able to prove to you what you believe is wrong, hypothetically speaking, do you think that would that change anything? And if so, how?
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Illyricum wrote: And let me say that agree 100% with what you said, Otseng. It's just that I was curious and I wanted to see if someone where able to prove to you what you believe is wrong, hypothetically speaking, do you think that would that change anything? And if so, how?
Would it change anything? Yes. How so? I'm not too sure.

Thinking about it more, I'd live a life of pure hedonism. If my life would not be accountable to God, then anything goes. Since I wouldn't have to be accountable for my actions, then pleasure would be the ultimate goal. Ethics would also not hold me back so I would further enjoy my hedonism without worrying about ethical concerns.

Quarkhead
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Quarkhead »

That's interesting, Otseng. In this light, God is the ONLY thing which prevents you from acting in a completely depraved manner.

Interesting, how many non-Christians, and golly, even atheists, manage to live moral, ethical lives in the service of others.

I realize this is not a place for actual debate, but I just wanted to say I find this view very interesting.

Corvus
Guru

Post #6

Post by Corvus »

otseng wrote:
Illyricum wrote: And let me say that agree 100% with what you said, Otseng. It's just that I was curious and I wanted to see if someone where able to prove to you what you believe is wrong, hypothetically speaking, do you think that would that change anything? And if so, how?
Would it change anything? Yes. How so? I'm not too sure.

Thinking about it more, I'd live a life of pure hedonism. If my life would not be accountable to God, then anything goes. Since I wouldn't have to be accountable for my actions, then pleasure would be the ultimate goal. Ethics would also not hold me back so I would further enjoy my hedonism without worrying about ethical concerns.
The pursuit of pleasure usually cannot avoid ethical concerns, though, since that pleasure can easily be ended or impeded by another individual.
If someone where able to prove to the exact opposite of what you believe is true (i.e you're an atheist and someone proves to you there is a God, you're a christian and someone proves to you there is no God) would that change you're life any? Or would you just go on living your life like you were without changing anything?
If God was proven to exist, it really would not make a difference to me. If it was also proven this was the Christian God, I would probably become a Christian, but still be confused. Would that be the fundamentalist or the liberal God? Would I be cast into a lake of eternal hellfire for lusting after men or not?

If I knew there was a a God and heaven, and knew exactly what I had to do to gain entrance into it, I would do it. At the moment I am incapable of believing in absolutes, I think the concept of heaven to be too unreal to be true, and know not what I have to do to be worthy of heaven, so I live according to my own rules.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

Quarkhead wrote:That's interesting, Otseng. In this light, God is the ONLY thing which prevents you from acting in a completely depraved manner.

Bear in mind, I have not given this hypothetical scenario any thought before this question was posed. Also, I'm only speaking for myself, and not for all people in my position.

I wouldn't go quite as far as saying I'd act in a "completely depraved" manner. But, if I did not believe in a God, I would feel no compunction about doing unethical things. The only thing I'd worry about is if I would get caught doing unethical things.

Yahweh
Student

Re: Would it change anything?

Post #8

Post by Yahweh »

Illyricum wrote:If someone where able to prove to the exact opposite of what you believe is true (i.e you're an atheist and someone proves to you there is a God, you're a christian and someone proves to you there is no God) would that change you're life any? Or would you just go on living your life like you were without changing anything?
I think there is a phrase which says "When I lost God I felt just like a fish without a bicycle".

No, my life would not be radically different than it is today.

rebecca
Student

Post #9

Post by rebecca »

otseng wrote:
I wouldn't go quite as far as saying I'd act in a "completely depraved" manner. But, if I did not believe in a God, I would feel no compunction about doing unethical things. The only thing I'd worry about is if I would get caught doing unethical things.
This is one of the scariest things I've ever read.

otseng
Savant

Post #10

Post by otseng »

rebecca wrote: This is one of the scariest things I've ever read.
Scariest things? Why is it one of the scariest things you've ever read?