Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

The Ten Commandments of Logic

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

1. Thou shalt not attack the person's character, but the argument (Ad hominem)

2. Thou shalt not misrepresent or exaggerate a person's argument in order to make it easier to attack (Straw man fallacy)

3. Thou shalt not use small numbers to represent the all (Hasty generalization)

4, Thou shalt not argue thy position by assuming one of its premises is true (Begging the question / Circular reasoning / Petitio Principii)

5. Thou shalt not claim that because something occurred before, it must be the cause (Post hoc / False cause)

6. Thou shalt not reduce the argument down to two possibilities when others do or may exist (False dichotomy)

7. Thou shalt not argue that because of our ignorance, a claim must be true or false (Ad ignorantum)

8, Thou shalt not lay the burden of proof onto him that is questioning the claim (Burden of proof reversal)

9. Thou shalt not assume "this" follows "that" when there is no logical connection (Non sequitur)

10. Thou shat not argue that because a premise is popular, therefore it must be true (Bandwagon fallacy / argumentum ad populum)
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zionite

Post #2

Post by Zionite »

What sort of verifiable evidence do you need?

TSGracchus
Scholar

Re: The Ten Commandments of Logic

Post #3

Post by TSGracchus »

Zionite wrote: What sort of verifiable evidence do you need?
I think that is the point. There is no way to know until some verifiable evidence is presented for examination. It's kind of like evidence for a boojum. No one who has seen one has ever reported back.

:confused2:

Zionite

Post #4

Post by Zionite »

OK, let's take the Book of Mormon. It was translated by a prophet of God, and it's the truest book in the world. Follow the precepts that are laid out in this book, and you will gain Eternal Life.

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #5

Post by TSGracchus »

Zionite wrote: OK, let's take the Book of Mormon. It was translated by a prophet of God, and it's the truest book in the world. Follow the precepts that are laid out in this book, and you will gain Eternal Life.
Or we could take the Koran, dictated to a prophet by an angel, and subsequently, by that prophet, who was illiterate, to others.
As it turned out, some of the of the original dictation was by SATAN and had to be corrected. It is utterly irrelevant that the prophet was a bandit, a murderer and a pedophile. None of that means it wasn't true.

Now the Book of Mormon is different. The prophet who received this book was a convicted confidence artist, who, imprisoned for destroying a printing press that was going to expose his sexual shenanigans with the wives and daughters of his flock, and for treason against the state of Missouri, was killed while imprisoned by... Well, no one was convicted, although I suspect the mob was composed largely of former flock members disaffected by his attentions to their wives and daughters.
Of course, that is not evidence that it wasn't originally written on golden tablets in some form of Egyptian that had to be translated by the use of magic stones placed in a hat. Smith was, like Muhammad, largely illiterate and actually dictated the book while talking through his hat.

Death of Joseph Smith-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Joseph_Smith

The Bible, the Q'uran, and the Book of Mormon are evidence only that books were written. Superman comics exists, but very few take them as evidence that Superman exists.

:study:

Zionite

Post #6

Post by Zionite »

Or we could just sit here and let you continue to bash the prophets while you completely ignore the Book of Mormon, but I'm not going to do that.

Last i checked, the writers of the Superman comics weren't making the claims that the Book of Mormon makes. And I don't know for sure, but I'll bet the Koran doesn't share the same message the Book of Mormon does.

Have you ever read the Book of Mormon?

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #7

Post by TSGracchus »

[Replying to post 6 by Zionite]

Zionite: "Have you ever read the Book of Mormon?"

I have a copy, and I have Mormon relatives I am fond of, but I was only able to read through 1 Nephi before I grew extremely tired of the abominable writing and egregious falsehoods. And "It came to pass" that I nearly passed out. Stylistically, it was barely superior to the Q'uran.

Zionite

Post #8

Post by Zionite »

The book is pure doctrine, my friend. It's meant to save you, not entertain you, and there are lots and lots and lots of books, movies, or radio programs that can fit that bill.

Our job as Christians is to learn God's will, and DO it.

Moroni 9:6 (From the Book of Mormon)
6 And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

I've read the Book of Mormon. There is no historical evidence for anything it says. It's full of errors and there have been many versions of it down through the years as Mormons try to deal with those errors. See here:

https://www.watchman.org/articles/mormo ... -evidence/

https://christiananswers.net/q-cc/cc-archaeology.html

And given the number of prophecies of Joseph Smith that didn't come true, we can declare him a false prophet because, according to the Bible (Deut. 18:15-22), the sure sign of a false prophet is prophecies that don't come true.

http://mit.irr.org/failed-prophecies-of-joseph-smith

http://coldcasechristianity.com/2014/ca ... eph-smith/

Of course, being a Mormon, you can just say those verses in the Bible are corrupt. But even without the statement from the Bible, do you really think that a man of God would get all of those things wrong?

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #10

Post by TSGracchus »

[Replying to post 8 by ]

Zionite: "The book is pure doctrine, my friend."

Native Americans as Israelites?! Archaeology says no! Genetics says no! I don't know that I would call it doctrine, but it is surely pure something.

Zionite: "It's meant to save you, not entertain you, and there are lots and lots and lots of books, movies, or radio programs that can fit that bill."

It was meant to fill a collection plate and the prophets' beds, and it surely has done that.

Zionite: "Our job as Christians is to learn God's will, and DO it."

Well, Christians are all over the map and I am content to learn science and mathematics.