A Weird Test

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

A Weird Test

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

I would like to ask a yes or no question, but before asking it, I request a sworn oath from atheists to answer either yes or no or give no response at all. No other comments.

Now, for this first half of the OP, what atheists can do this? that is, promise to remain silent, or give a yes and no response and no other?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #2

Post by rikuoamero »

Given your debating style is highly disingenuous, what with your false dichotomies and all, I doubt many people will go for this.
However, out of sheer curiosity, I'll bite.

I swear to answer yes, no or give no response at all, to whatever it is liam asks.

I ask a question in response - why do you not want atheists to explain themselves beyond a yes/no answer? Is an explanation something to be feared?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Willum
Savant

Re: A Weird Test

Post #3

Post by Willum »

I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #4

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #5

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

Maybe. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Given the parameters, expect silence from me. Neither history or debating is a multiple choice test where the answer is either yes or no.

Good luck on your fishing expedition.

jgh7

Post #6

Post by jgh7 »

maybe

Edit: lol, benchwarmer beat me by 1 minute

I can imagine the question now: "Were you surprised to find out you believe in Jesus?"

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

Why all the tricks and tactics?

Shouldn't one who claims to be well-schooled in theistic / historical matters be able to present evidence to support their position straight-across without fancy footwork?

Multiple attempts to divert attention from the lack of supporting evidence are entertaining, but do they accomplish anything (positive)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

rikuoamero wrote:
I ask a question in response - why do you not want atheists to explain themselves beyond a yes/no answer? Is an explanation something to be feared?
Yes.
Zzyzx wrote:
Shouldn't one who claims to be well-schooled in theistic / historical matters be able to present evidence to support their position straight-across without fancy footwork?
Yes.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #9

Post by OnceConvinced »

This website is about debate. So if one gives a "yes" or "no" answer, one should be justifying that answer. I don't think I would agree to such a test as it sounds like it's just a way to try to trick people into something.

Yes/No answers often need clarification otherwise they can be used against you in devious and manipulative ways, just like lawyers demand yes and no answers from people in courts of law so they can use them in devious and manipulative ways.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by rikuoamero »

I see liam still hasn't asked whatever question he was going to ask. Chalk up another thread he's abandoned I guess...?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense