Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

What do you do for philosophy?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

What do you do for philosophy?

I mean that as in what do you do for exercise.

I'm off to bible study tonight and it is very much a philosophical enterprise.

What do you do?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: What do you do for philosophy?

Post #2

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

Posting here and Reddit is all I do for exercise in philosophy.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to General Chat.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

For the most part I watch scientific documentaries and debates. And what interests me most are debates that scientists have with each other over various scientific concepts.

I tend to include in this documentaries and debates concerning mathematics, and the philosophy of mathematics. Ironically, even the mathematicians themselves are divided concerning the question of whether mathematics itself is a science or a philosophy. In fact, I have recently been watching many debates and interviews concerning the question of whether mathematics is discovered or invented. Once again, a topic that mathematicians themselves are strongly divided on in terms of what the answer should be. I actually have my own answers to these questions and I'm currently written a paper on it.

Finally, I watch a lot of "Closer to Truth" hosted by Robert Lawrence Kuhn. I think he asks very reasonable and rational questions, of philosophers, scientists, and theologians. He doesn't appear to have any specific bias as he treats everyone with the same level of skepticism no matter which side of a topic they might be on.

~~~~~~~

In contrast to this philosophical interest I also have been watching a lot of current events specifically related to the White House and the current administration of the United States of America. The contrast between the deep philosophical questions and what's actually happening in our everyday world is extreme. Personally I feel like we are currently watching the demise of the USA. I personally believe that the Trump Administration will be the downfall of America, if it hasn't already been so.

I find it strange watching, in one moment a documentary asking question like "Are we alone in the universe?", or "Will mankind ever venture beyond our solar system?", or even "What will be the fate of humanity in the future?".

And then to come from a program like that to watch the current chaos and absurdities going on in the government of the greatest nation on earth is quite disheartening. Our current political situation doesn't look very promising for the longevity of humanity. To the contrary, it appears to be extremely immature, petty, and ultimately on a very self-destructive path that appears to only be concerned with personal wealth of only the already wealth, whilst tossing the rest of humanity under the bus for the short-term greed of the few.

Our current political situation does not even remotely appear to be interested or concerned with the long-term survival of improvement of humanity.

So it's crazy. On the one hand I admire the extreme intelligence and progress that scientists, mathematicians, and philosophers have made, while on the other hand I see our political and governmental "leaders" (if you can call them leaders), quibbling with each other in such extreme division and discord that they don't even appear to be aware of the bigger picture or question of humanity in general.

It's quite an extreme contrast. A contrast that was not apparent during the last administration. In fact, the last administration appeared to be concerned with the betterment of humanity, ecology, and the world in general. All that appears to have gone out the window entirely.

So reality has almost become "surreal" for me lately. I find it difficult to believe that the USA has fallen into such discord and chaos so quickly. I never believed that the USA was so fragile, but unfortunately it appears that it is. I just wonder if things will ever turn back around again for humanity, possibly even by the rise of some other country to take over the vacuum created when the USA fails completely, which may be far sooner than any American ever dreamed possible.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #5

Post by JP Cusick »

Wootah wrote: What do you do for philosophy?

I mean that as in what do you do for exercise.

I'm off to bible study tonight and it is very much a philosophical enterprise.

What do you do?
I pick the right books to read, as in the best books on religion and philosophy and on any book deemed to truly be related to higher enlightenment.

Pick the right movies and TV shows and entertainment which help to increase my enlightenment.

Pick the right groups to attend, and especially not to attend with wrong groups.

Put the philosophies into action, and put the concepts into realistic testing.

These are what I do.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

phlegmnoire
Student

Post #6

Post by phlegmnoire »

Most of my time "doing philosophy" is spent trying to find fallacies in arguments that support positions which I happen to agree with, i.e. playing devil's advocate, sort of an "anti-confirmation bias" exercise.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by amortalman »

I read, watch special interest programs on TV, discuss issues with my wife and a few friends, and participate in DC & R.

My reading prior to 2016 was almost exclusively evangelical Christian publications. I've read the entire Bible several times, studied it extensively, taught an adult Bible study class and was an ordained deacon in my church.

After leaving Christianity my interests blossomed in a variety of subjects. You might say I was "born again" to the beauty of the humanities, the awesomeness of this planet and the cosmos, philosophy, geography, geology, archeology, evolution, and science in general.

So that I won't be guilty of trying to appear smarter than I am I confess that I've only touched the surface of these subjects and certainly don't have the brain power to plunge their depths. But I read and dream.

The books I've read since leaving religion include works by Richard Dawkins, Daniel C. Dennett, Christopher Hitchens, Bart Ehrman, Yuval Noah Harari, and books by former Christians: Dan Barker, Seth Andrews, and Kenneth W. Daniels among others.

I don't call it doing Philosophy. I just call it catching up on life. The life that was smothered for many years by the narrow, controlled vision of Christianity.

Converts to Christianity, especially the evangelical brand I suppose, talk about a great weight (of sin and guilt) having been lifted when they came to Jesus. I felt it too when I "got saved" about forty years ago.

But what not many will tell you is that once the newness wears off you find that the weight is replaced by demands you can't possibly live up to.

The guilt never really goes away it just changes faces.

If you really want to be more than a nominal believer in an evangelical church you'd better be ready for the guilt of never doing enough to please God, the guilt of never giving enough of your time, talent, and resources to Jesus.

Jesus said he came to set the captives free. But then he takes them to his own dungeon.

The closer one tries to "walk with Jesus" the tighter the religious bonds become. I left to preserve my sanity and found real peace and freedom and enjoyment in life.

I know many who somehow seem to be happy in their faith. I didn't. But that was my experience.

Now, I don't do philosophy. I try to enrich and expand my mind a little each day. This is real living.

elphidium55
Student

Post #8

Post by elphidium55 »

Here's several youtube series/speakers that have helped me become better educated in philosophy:

wireless philosophy
carneades.org
Capturing Christianity
Graham Oppy
Alex Malpass/Thoughtology
Ozymandias Rameses II
Matt Dillahunty/Atheist Debates
Real Atheology

A good intermediate level philosophical book on Theism/Atheism is
"The Miracle of Theism" by J.L. Mackie.

koko

Post #9

Post by koko »

I love to read good books. My favorite being Melville's Moby Dick - a book filled with wisdom and rich in symbolism much of which has been lost to the modern audience. Books such as those of Mark Twain, James Michener, and Jack London are also very deep and merit much discussion.

As for philosophy when I was a student in college 50 years ago I loved reading Aristotle, Plato, and other works of wisdom. An American novel that is largely overlooked in this regard is Jorge Santayana's The Last Puritan:

https://tinyurl.com/yclwrp29

I have read this gem five times and am planning to do so one more time.