Viewing the Aug 21 solar eclipse

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Viewing the Aug 21 solar eclipse

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Anybody have any plans on viewing the solar eclipse on Aug 21?

Fortunately, the totality will be going through my state so I won't have to travel too far (just a 2 hour drive). The only thing special I've bought so far is the Ricoh Theta S to captures a 360 video of the experience. I'll bring my Orion XT10 telescope with a solar filter for viewing it. And I'll just use my SLR to capture scenic shots. I might buy a telephoto zoom lens for my SLR, but not sure yet.

JP Cusick
Guru

Re: Viewing the Aug 21 solar eclipse

Post #2

Post by JP Cusick »

otseng wrote: Anybody have any plans on viewing the solar eclipse on Aug 21?

Fortunately, the totality will be going through my state so I won't have to travel too far (just a 2 hour drive). The only thing special I've bought so far is the Ricoh Theta S to captures a 360 video of the experience. I'll bring my Orion XT10 telescope with a solar filter for viewing it. And I'll just use my SLR to capture scenic shots. I might buy a telephoto zoom lens for my SLR, but not sure yet.
I bought the solar-glasses from eBay a month ago (10 pair for $10), so if the sky is clear then I intend to watch it.

Here in Maryland we are to see about 80 percent of a total eclipse and that is seeing enough for me.

I have the slightly smaller Orion SkyQuest XT8, and I love mine, but I have no intention of bringing it out for a solar event.

There is a big meteor shower this Friday and Saturday (August 11-12 peak), and there is a theory going around that some places might be able to see a meteor during the solar eclipse as a very rare daytime meteor sighting.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Viewing the Aug 21 solar eclipse

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

otseng wrote: Anybody have any plans on viewing the solar eclipse on Aug 21?

Instead of buying a telephoto lens for the camera a potentially better picture might be obtained by using solar projection:

Here are two videos on solar projection:

This one uses a special device for projecting the image into a dark room like a garage.
[youtube][/youtube]

This one uses an actual telescope and projects through the eyepiece lens onto a screen. (this one has some potential safety hazards)
[youtube][/youtube]

I've also seen people use a black cloth tent when projecting the Sun onto a screen. Then you can take photos of the projection with a standard lens.

This also works good for studying sun spots, etc.

I'm sure a lot more info can be found on this topic. I used to have several telescopes when I was younger, and I did sun projections for photography. It's far better than trying to use a telephoto lens. You can get much greater magnification this way.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]