Skepticon 10 and how we're apparently idiots

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Skepticon 10 and how we're apparently idiots

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

So...I'm watching a video today, and someone posts something about Skepticon, the free-thinkers conference. They link to their policy page, and what I saw has my jaw hitting the floor. It seems that double think has invaded the skeptical community in recent years to the point where we have this
https://skepticon.org/policy/
While Skepticon does encourage an environment of sex positivity where sex and sexuality are discussed, we will make every effort to make our convention attendees as comfortable as possible. Tablers (including volunteers) and presenters should not use sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment.
So they are sex-positive...but don't wear sexualised clothing. Of course what counts as sexualised clothing is not defined.

However...that's just a taster. Here is where according to Skepticon, normal human interaction has completely collapsed. Scroll down just a bit more and read the following.
COLOR COMMUNICATION BADGES
Skepticon uses a three color communication system at our convention. The color communication badges are both different colors (red, yellow, and blue) and shapes (square, triangle, circle). Place these on the Skepticon badges given at registration so that others can easily find and identify your preference. Be sure to place a sticker on the front and the back of your badge in case your lanyard flips over.
Attendees are not required to actively participate, but are required to respect the boundaries and choices of those who do. Please be aware of people who are using stickers on their badges and act accordingly:
A blue circle sticker means that the person is actively seeking communication; they have trouble initiating conversations, but want to be approached by people who are interested in talking.
A yellow triangle sticker means that the person only wants to talk to people they recognize, not by strangers or people they only know from the Internet. The badge-wearer might approach strangers to talk, and that is okay; the approached people are welcome to speak back to them in that case. But unless you have already met the person face-to-face, you should not approach them to talk.
A red square sticker means that the person probably does not want to talk to anyone, or only wants to talk to a few people. The person might approach others to talk, and that is okay; the approached people are welcome to speak back to them in that case. But unless you have been told already by the badge-wearer that you are on their “red list�, you should not approach them to talk.
Having no stickers means that person is comfortable verbally confirming their boundaries and social availability.
Via Autistic Advocacy: Color communication badges are a good aid because they allow people to express their current communication preference quickly, nonverbally, and simply – people can change what card is showing if their preference changes. They are a good way to prevent situations where someone is caught in a social situation they do not want to be in, or situations where someone wants to talk but can’t initiate. This means that communication badges can help make conferences, conventions, meetings, college campuses, and other spaces more accessible. People with communication impairments, people who have trouble expressing their communication preferences, and people who have trouble reading social cues about communication preference, may find color communication badges useful. Color communication badges also help all people, abled or disabled, to more easily and effectively let people know whether they want to be approached for conversations or not. This can creates a positive impact on the social atmosphere where communication badges are being used.
Skepticon from what I can see, are saying that their attendees are so idiotic, so stupid, so unable to do the most basic of human interactions, that in order to learn whether or not someone even just wants to communicate at all, there has to be a color and shape coded badge system.
Body language is no longer good enough. Telling someone "no" verbally, isn't good enough (despite them mentioning earlier in the article that "no means no").

They also further down the page discuss their lost child policy. Now, if this were a sane world, we'd presume it'd be short and clear. "If a child is lost, report to these people Y at Locations Z and X".

Nope.

Instead, they have to go through a song and dance and outright tell people (IN BULLET POINTS) exactly what characteristics one will be asked their child has. We apparently have to be told to expect to be asked about the child's age, sex, ethnicity and other physical features, as if we're too stupid to figure that out on our own.
We all learn contradictory messages about people with disabilities. Disabled people are the archetypal “other�: the fate-worse-than-death, the sainted and spiritual, the cursed and amoral, the sub-human, the super-human, the sexless and the over-sexed.
I haven't got a clue where Skepticon staff get their education from, but I sure hope no-one I know gets it. Not once in my life has ANYONE I know said to me or those around me that disabled people are cursed/amoral, subhuman or any of that claptrap above.
It all sounds like virtue signalling to me.
If you think someone needs assistance, just ask. If they say yes, don’t make assumptions; instead listen to the details of what the person with disabilities wants. If they say “no thanks� don’t be offended. What might look overly complicated or inefficient can be what that disabled person finds works best.
I love this bit. What happens if the person you think needs assistance is wearing a yellow or red badge? Oh no, I guess we're stuck in a logical paradox and our heads will explode.
At least, that's the message I get is what would happen according to Skepticon's point of view.
People are often curious about the details of a visible disability. A member’s medical history and details of how their body functions is private. Please do not ask how someone became disabled or assume their experience is the same as another person with a similar disability.
Belittling those with disabilities, assuming they can't just tell the person "No, I won't answer that". Besides, what if the disabled person is wearing a blue badge, or their badge doesn't have a colour sticker? Is Skepticon thinking that they have the god-given right to dictate what full grown adults can and cannot ask themselves in polite conversation?
That's the tone I'm getting from Skepticon. Attendees are idiots, unable to think for themselves, unable to handle even the most basic of human social interactions, so here's a handy list of policy rules to "help" you through the day!
However, the hallway where the vendor tables are located is often packed during the handful of unprogrammed hours in the con. The hotel restaurant and Food Trucks we bring in during mealtimes will be packed or have lines. This also goes for the free continental breakfast that is offered by the hotel in the mornings. Our Prom starts promptly at 9pm on Saturday night, but does not allow guests in beforehand, so a line often forms. Arriving part way through or a little bit after the Prom starts will allow the crowd to disperse a little.
Well gee...never would have figured that out. Again, I'm getting the tone from Skepticon that we're idiots. Who honestly needs to be told that lines form at popular locations? Or that certain areas will be packed?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

bluethread
Savant

Post #11

Post by bluethread »

Sorry, if you're not coming back, but I just thought it might be good to point out that this is Skepticon we are talking about. First, one is going to a convention. Who goes to a convention who doesn't want to convene. Sure, at Stoicon one might expect a quiet auditorium where everything is run by Robert's Rules of Order. However, regulating speech at a Skeptics convention? That is rich. What, are they afraid someone is not going to believe them? Come to think of it, if you told someone at a skeptics convention that you didn't want to talk, wouldn't you expect them to be skeptical of that. This convention has got to be somewhere in the Hitchhiker's Guide. :study: Yep, it's on page 42. What, you don't believe me?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by rikuoamero »

bluethread wrote: Sorry, if you're not coming back, but I just thought it might be good to point out that this is Skepticon we are talking about. First, one is going to a convention. Who goes to a convention who doesn't want to convene. Sure, at Stoicon one might expect a quiet auditorium where everything is run by Robert's Rules of Order. However, regulating speech at a Skeptics convention? That is rich. What, are they afraid someone is not going to believe them? Come to think of it, if you told someone at a skeptics convention that you didn't want to talk, wouldn't you expect them to be skeptical of that. This convention has got to be somewhere in the Hitchhiker's Guide. :study: Yep, it's on page 42. What, you don't believe me?
That's precisely why I don't go to pubs. I don't know why, but I have a hard time in pubs. I have some sort of anxiety over them (probably a repressed memory, maybe its because I associate them on a subconscious level with my father, whom I have many an issue with. Maybe I was abused in a pub, I don't know).
The problem I have with pubs is precisely that. My problem. Something for me to get over, to solve, to work out. I don't suggest that the pub say to its other attendees to do this elaborate system to put me (and others like me) at ease.
Doing something like that would do the opposite. It would make me even more suspicious and nervous. I'd be thinking "This isn't their natural behaviour, they're doing a new set of behaviours all because I'm in the room...I can't trust them".

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #13

Post by Bust Nak »

If one does not want to talk to others, why go to a con at all? Just watch the videos on youtube afterwards.

As for sexualised clothing, I think it's okay for the officials to have a dress code.