Post by jgh7 »

"I shouldn't judge my brain"

What do you think of this?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

"I shouldn't judge my brain" is a judgment on how much of it is, I ought'n.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: "I shouldn't judge my brain"

Post #3

Post by bernee51 »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

Who’s doing the judging?

jgh7

Post #4

Post by jgh7 »

bernee51 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

Who’s doing the judging?
Well, according to the statement, "I" am the one doing the judging. I suppose I just meant my thoughts and inclinations by my brain. I often struggle with judging my own thoughts and choices. It gets bad to the point where I end up judging myself negatively whether I choose one thing or whether I choose the other thing, so it's a lose lose situation. It comes down to me being unsure. It bothers me a lot.

dakoski
Scholar

Post #5

Post by dakoski »

[Replying to jgh7]
Well, according to the statement, "I" am the one doing the judging. I suppose I just meant my thoughts and inclinations by my brain. I often struggle with judging my own thoughts and choices. It gets bad to the point where I end up judging myself negatively whether I choose one thing or whether I choose the other thing, so it's a lose lose situation. It comes down to me being unsure. It bothers me a lot.
We can often be the harshest judge of ourselves - I've struggled with this quite a lot. In the psychological literature approaches have to some extent moved away from focusing on improving self-esteem to promoting self-compassion. Would we judge others with the same harshness we judge ourselves? Mostly not, so we have to train ourselves to challenge these thoughts of condemnation.

From my own perspective as a Christian I look to how God has compassion on me, and so I seek to learn to have compassion on myself in the same way God has compassion on me.

1 John 3:20 says: If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

There's also an interesting verse in 1 Corinthians 4:3-4 that I confess I'm not quite able to live out but hope one day to be able to:

I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.

jgh7

Post #6

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to post 5 by dakoski]

Thank you, those are some nice verses! It's interesting how the golden rule can be applied to treating oneself in addition to others.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

jgh7 wrote:
I often struggle with judging my own thoughts and choices. It gets bad to the point where I end up judging myself negatively whether I choose one thing or whether I choose the other thing, so it's a lose lose situation. It comes down to me being unsure. It bothers me a lot.
Once you stop trying to force your brain to believe things it doesn't believe, this struggle will lessen and eventually be nothing but a distant memory. Your brain will lead you to truth as long as you trust it and stop questioning the reality it is urging you to accept.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #8

Post by imhereforyou »

jgh7 wrote: "I shouldn't judge my brain"

What do you think of this?
Why would you judge your brain? What did it do (or not do)?
By not judging your brain aren't you, your brain, making a judgement of not judging and thus judging?