Atheism

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

JohnDamron

Atheism

Post #1

Post by JohnDamron »

In today's world many people follow atheist principles.They do not believe in the existence of God.They often say that Gods and the worship places are created by humans for their own benefit.They believe everything happens naturally.There is no driving force behind them. This attitude often force them to attempt mischievous actions.They say that they need to fear only the law.Not anyone else. I have a friend is an atheist?So,How can I convince her about the existence of God ?What are facts that should be said to her so that I could light at least a small candle of belief in her mind?

[Moderator action: Advertisement cropped]
Last edited by JohnDamron on Thu May 10, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Atheism

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by JohnDamron]

I'm not sure it is possible to convince Atheists about the existence of God because they lack the moral level, presumably, as one theory, in order to actually believe in God. If they were to believe in God perhaps they would rather discover instead they were on the path to Hell and the Devil. Who knows? See also "wart"-religiousness, if you want. :study:

There is also the Slipstream Argument to Pascal's Wager for the Agnostics: https://whatiswritten777.blogspot.no/20 ... ts-to.html.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #3

Post by benchwarmer »

JohnDamron wrote: In today's world many people follow atheist principles.
What are 'atheist principles'? Can you please cite the source for these?

You make it seem like atheists follow some literature or teachings. I would be interested to know where you get that idea.
JohnDamron wrote: They do not believe in the existence of God.
Technically, they don't believe in the existence of any gods, including the Christian 'God'. You are also an atheist, I presume, when it comes to all other gods.
JohnDamron wrote: They often say that Gods and the worship places are created by humans for their own benefit.They believe everything happens naturally.There is no driving force behind them. This attitude often force them to attempt mischievous actions.
LOL! What? Does your atheism in regards to Zeus often force you to attempt "mischievous actions"? No? Then why level these accusations on people who believe in only one less god than you do?
JohnDamron wrote: They say that they need to fear only the law.Not anyone else. I have a friend is an atheist?So,How can I convince her about the existence of God ?What are facts that should be said to her so that I could light at least a small candle of belief in her mind?
Well, for starters, if you had any actual facts about a god that would be a start. Given you likely don't and only have beliefs and holy books to point to, you're going to have to try to talk your friend into believing the same make believe you do based on nothing more than personal conviction.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

Aetixintro wrote: [Replying to post 1 by JohnDamron]

I'm not sure it is possible to convince Atheists about the existence of God because they lack the moral level, presumably, as one theory, in order to actually believe in God.
Where do you guys come up with this stuff? What do morals (which are subjective) have to do with investigating facts or the lack thereof of any proposed god characters?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by ttruscott »

JohnDamron wrote:I have a friend is an atheist?So,How can I convince her about the existence of God ?What are facts that should be said to her so that I could light at least a small candle of belief in her mind?
Don't focus on her; focus on prayer asking for GOD to bless her with a repentant heart and training in righteousness, Heb 12:5-11 whenever you do the same for yourself.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

JohnDamron wrote: In today's world many people follow atheist principles.
There is no such thing as "Atheist Principles". All that atheism means is to not believe in the existence of any Gods. Individual atheists have their own principles, just as individual theists hold up their own individual principles in the name of their Gods.

I should add that there are quite many examples of theists who behave in highly immoral ways, and or hypocritical ways. So a belief in a God is no guarantee that this will improve anyone's behavior or moral compass.

Also, if any person needs to believe in a God in order to strive to be a good person, then shame on them.

And finally, any theists who would not be a good person if they were convinced that there is no good, is then obviously not a good person in any case. Apparently they are only restraining their desire to be bad in order to appease some imaginary God.

So anyone who needs to believe in a God in order to be a good person is already in seriously sad shape.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

JohnDamron wrote:
What are facts that should be said to her so that I could light at least a small candle of belief in her mind?
Facts about God? Good luck with that one. If you could provide facts, you wouldn't need to create belief.

It is never a good idea to make it your goal to change someone else. You have no ability to control another. You can change yourself however.

The first step would be to correct your misconceptions about atheists. You've been given plenty of details on that already.

The second step would be to accept your friend as she is. She's an atheist, which is actually pretty cool.

Walterbl

Post #8

Post by Walterbl »

Technically, they don't believe in the existence of any gods, including the Christian 'God'. You are also an atheist, I presume, when it comes to all other gods.
No, I am not. Atheism is the lack of belief in God. I believe those other people believe in the same God but refer to him by a different name. And some people have some wrong beliefs about God, but I am not an atheist when it ocmes to thos other gods.

As to how to help an atheist believe in God, ask him to pray sincerely for something and see if it happens.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #9

Post by benchwarmer »

Walterbl wrote:
No, I am not. Atheism is the lack of belief in God. I believe those other people believe in the same God but refer to him by a different name. And some people have some wrong beliefs about God, but I am not an atheist when it ocmes to thos other gods.

As to how to help an atheist believe in God, ask him to pray sincerely for something and see if it happens.
You may want to check a dictionary:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism
a : a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b : a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

You are also assuming all religions are monotheistic. You may want to do some research on other religions as well.

As for praying sincerely for something and watching to see what happens, that seems to be the best way to create atheists not theists. I'll tell you what, you pray for my colleague to regain full use of all limbs and I'll watch and see what happens. I'll let you do the praying because you'll likely just accuse me of doing it wrong. If it works out, you should have no trouble clearing out hospitals. You'll gain converts in troves when you can show your prayer in action. Happy praying.