Hi, I'm John Human

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Hi, I'm John Human

Post #1

Post by John Human »

Hi, I'm John Human. My father was a hard-core Catholic -- he was proud of the time he spent in a Jesuit novitiate, and spent his life honing his arguments for defending the faith. My older brother is a globe-trotting evangelical missionary and an ordained Baptist minister. I spent a summer with him when I was 18, and he of course felt compelled to try out his proselytizing skills on me. Does anybody remember Josh McDowell's "Evidence that Demands a Verdict"? It took me several years to come up with an answer that disarmed without rebutting the argument. I have a sister who is (for lack of a better phrase) a New Age Buddhist. I suppose that, if nothing is indeed fundamentally important, then the question of salvation really isn't that big a deal. It works well enough for her to dodge theological debates. My own position is that we humans were created to participate in the ongoing creation of the physical universe. This means that what we as a species are up to in the here-and-now has a relevance that closely aligns with the question of what happens individually in the afterlife. For whatever it's worth, I have a master's degree in history, specializing in the provenance of the ideas in the Declaration of Independence. Also, once upon a time, I got involved as a wikipedia editor, long enough to figure out how all that works. I like citing wikipedia articles, and I'm sure that I'll do that from time to time around here. (And if somebody points out an obvious flaw in a wikipedia article, I just might jump in and fix it.)

Tcg
Savant

Re: Hi, I'm John Human

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by John Human]

Welcome to the forum, John Human. I hope you enjoy your time here!

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay here.