Why do trained Apologists cut and run?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

Why do trained Apologists cut and run?

Post #1

Post by postroad »

It seems our learned friend is suddenly known only as "Deleted"?

Surely such a distinguished author and spiritual leader should be able to hold his own?

One would think that he would be proud to at least have left his name as a testimony of his defence of the faith?

William
Savant

Post #11

Post by William »

I agree with Don that we do not know why mr.hagerty's name has changed to 'deleted' and I would assume that it is a glitch which will be fixed.

I do understand your observations of those who frequent forums in order to sell their wares, and for that mr.hagerty/deleted will have to be able to get a foot-hold in order to proselytize his particular beliefs hereabouts...

Indeed mr.hagarty's timing was superb in relation to topics currently headlining threads, as he allowed for a great example to be had, unaware as he was, jumping in feet first as he did.

I can sympathize though. One spends a great deal of ones lifetime in studious scriptural study based on the premise that the bible is the word of GOD, and to be so put in ones place on that nonnegotiable belief, in a debate setting, must be frustrating.

The lesson therein is to always scope out the situation before jumping on in - guns a-blazin'.

[center]Image [/center]

Hopefully you stick around mr.hagarty and perhaps just think about changing your approach.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 11 by William]

I wouldn't mind if it is that he left, that he returned with a user name that didn't reveal his identity and professional associations.

That may have been an unadvised move.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Re: Why do trained Apologists cut and run?

Post #13

Post by Danmark »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Don McIntosh]

He was known as mrhagerty here. He gave a link to his most popular book.

This guy is clearly not representative of trained Christian apologists. He apparently wrote one book, or claimed to. it's been reviewed by only one person 8 years ago. He does not show up on either the probation/banned page, or the membership roster. Your questions about why he is no longer here might be directed at the moderators.

There is certainly something odd about "mrhagerty/Deleted's" posts. They did not strike me as reaching the level of a competent published author. For all we know he has never published a book of any kind, nor does he have any training in the subject matter at issue.

In any event, Christian Apologists should not be judged by 'his' brief appearance here.

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

It's a bit strange that a user can request to have their posts deleted. Its not something i bothered to ask Otseng about.

It's best to not be a mindreader about why people come or go.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #15

Post by Bust Nak »

Moderator Action

If a poster is banned, you'll find an announcement here.

The reason why someone would leave this forum is theirs alone. Please avoid personal remarks about the motive of other people, ex-members included.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 15 by Bust Nak]

So is this thread locked?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #17

Post by Bust Nak »

Moderator Clarification

Not yet, I've moved it to general discussion because I think there is some merit in the discussion; just try to steer the conversation away from a) discussing (ex-)members, b) being too self-congratulatory.

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by postroad »

I noticed that those of orthodox beliefs are not well represented here. The believers here are almost universally those with unorthodox understanding.

Have the mainstream Christians given up?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #19

Post by rikuoamero »

postroad wrote: I noticed that those of orthodox beliefs are not well represented here. The believers here are almost universally those with unorthodox understanding.

That is something worth talking about. We've got one member who claims to hear Christ, we've got a Jehovah's Witness, we've got someone who asserts pre conception existence...I can't recall the last time I spoke to say a practising Roman Catholic or run of the mill protestant on here.
As for past members...I remember one vocal person who believed all ancient gods were aliens.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

[Replying to post 18 by postroad]
I noticed that those of orthodox beliefs are not well represented here. The believers here are almost universally those with unorthodox understanding.

Given up what exactly? Perhaps they simply understand that their faith-based beliefs are nonnegotiable, and thus a debate setting is a pointless waste of Proselytizing.

Certainly mr.hargarty argued that Christians have a right to proselytize their NNFBBs in a debate setting, and hadn't taken the time to understand that there is a subforum where Christians can debate their beliefs free from the requirement of having to back up their claims with evidence, specifically their claim that the bible is the word of GOD.

He would have fitted in nicely there I think.