Why do trained Apologists cut and run?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

Why do trained Apologists cut and run?

Post #1

Post by postroad »

It seems our learned friend is suddenly known only as "Deleted"?

Surely such a distinguished author and spiritual leader should be able to hold his own?

One would think that he would be proud to at least have left his name as a testimony of his defence of the faith?

postroad
Prodigy

Post #21

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 19 by rikuoamero]

Our dearly departed "Deleted" seemed to represent basic conservative Protestant concepts. It was interesting how he simply wrote off non orthodox theology as irrelevant.

I also found it interesting that he was left relatively unmolested by other believers who seemed content to allow the skeptic to debate him.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 20 by William]

I'm wondering if he thought that this text applied to him?

2 Corinthians 10:4-6 New International Version (NIV)

4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 6 And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete.

William
Savant

Post #23

Post by William »

[Replying to post 22 by postroad]
I'm wondering if he thought that this text applied to him?
In hindsight it appears not to be the case, whether he did or he didn't think what you are wondering he thought.

The text alone clearly shows that to be the case...since his battle was short and he then chose to dispatch himself.

"Fighting the 'good' fight" appears to be under dispute...

postroad
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by postroad »

I'm of the opinion that orthodox Christianity isn't textualy literate enough to be able to sustain a defence of their belief from Scriptures.

That's my opinion based on my experience in debate.

And seems to be reflected on this site. Some have said they would welcome and aren't intimidated by skeptics well versed in the texts.

If this was the case I would imagine this site would be inundated with mainstream Christians proving their case.
The well versed skeptics are certainly here to do battle with.

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

[Replying to post 24 by postroad]

Have you gone back through old threads to ascertain what caliber of Christian used to but no longer frequented this site? Perhaps you may find some gems therein?

MosesY
Student

Post #26

Post by MosesY »

I am a run of the mill protestant. I look forward to the debates on the site. Keep in mind I know what it is like, I was on here a lot about 10 years ago. I think most Christians that come here when they see what it is really like they view it as the Devil's playground, which is how I view it. I see it for what it really is. On the other hand the opposing view makes me examine my own point of view and solidifies my beliefs and helps me to understand why I believe them. I do not come here to evangelize; I come here to learn.

John Bauer
Apprentice

Post #27

Post by John Bauer »

postroad wrote: Some have said they would welcome and aren't intimidated by skeptics well versed in the texts.
And occasionally this site might get a Christian who is a skeptic well-versed in the texts. (That would be me.)

-- John Bauer

Note: I know it is tempting to think, "You are religious|a theist|a Christian|, therefore you can't be a skeptic." It has been a common experience for me to have atheists claim that skepticism is atheistic, thus precluding religious skeptics as a contradiction in terms. However, as Brian Dunning explained, "The true meaning of the word skepticism has nothing to do with doubt, disbelief, or negativity. Skepticism is the process of applying reason and critical thinking to determine validity. It's the process of finding a supported conclusion, not the justification of a preconceived conclusion. (...) Many skeptics are deeply religious, and are satisfied with the reasoning process that led them there." See: Brian Dunning, "What Is Skepticism?" Skeptoid, n.d. (This is the web site of the weekly science podcast by the same name.)