Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Disposal of the dead

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

When my husband and I die we do not wish to have a funeral, we want any useful bits of our anatomies to be removed and then taken to the crematorium to be incinerated.

I have attended very few funerals in my 69 years, only about four if I remember rightly. I prefer to remember people in life if they are worth remembering, not in death. The only family funeral I have been to was my father's in 2005, he had been a senior politician and even Her Majesty sent a representative. As the eldest child I was the chief mourner, my mother didn't count as such, in my home island. It was quite an interesting funeral, the nearest I will ever get to a state occasion. I didn't attend my mother's funeral in 2013, it would have required me to get a flight from the UK, which was very inconvenient as I had my husband to care for. I paid for my daughters to go instead. Am I right in thinking that in the US the bodies are in open coffins during the funeral? That doesn't happen very often in the UK, the coffins are usually closed.

I think all bodies by law should be put to use after death, for organ donations etc. Here in Wales people have to opt out of organ donations, rather than opt in. I think the energy created by the disposal of bodies in a crematorium should be put to good use. More people are cremated than buried here in the UK, burial space is at a premium these days, and the land used for it could be put to a much better use. I believe a body can only be left in a grave for 70 years before being dug up and the bones disposed of. I would much sooner the people I care about were a pile of ashes rather than a rotting corpse after death.

What are other posters thoughts on this subject?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Disposal of the dead

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

Likewise, I do not attend funerals (two in eighty years) or weddings (maybe four). I do not intend there to be a funeral for me -- and have stopped having weddings (gave up coupledom some time ago as a bad idea and unnecessary expense).

Organ donation should be commonplace if not mandatory. I am open to donating organs when I am finished with them -- but they will be high-mileage.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence