Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

When death is a blessing

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

It is so very sad when a person, who was highly intelligent heretofore, is struck down with a mind altering condition, which eventually progresses until they are completely away with the fairies. In March I had my monthly phone call with my former geography teacher (92), she had all her marbles and we had a pleasant conversation. Not long after our chat she was struck down with a stroke, which has left her totally confused, blind, deaf and unable to walk.

My husband's much older brother (86) has vascular dementia, which has gradually destroyed his brain to the point where he no longer recognises any of his family and has no idea who he is. He also has a number of physical ailments, which are quite serious. His condition has deteriorated and he was admitted to hospital over the weekend, he has been put in a side room, his family have assembled by his bedside, as it doesn't look as if he has much longer to live

In the case of my brother-in-law and former teacher, I think death would be a kindness. What do others think?

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: When death is a blessing

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

At least among the elderly, all things free and autonomous, I think they reject food and drink more often than people know! Thus suicide among the elderly may be quite common.

They do live in their bedroom for the last part of their lives. They have troubles moving about. They may need help to get to the toilet. They also need help to shower or stay clean. These may very well be reasons for suicide among them.

:study:
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

Perspective from someone born in 1939 (eighty this year to save calculations or finger counting)

In spite of some effects of aging and a few medical issues, I am ‘accused’ of being sixty, live alone on country acreage, work out seriously three or four days per week at a fitness center, run up and down stairways, do all maintenance and improvement on my property, read / research / write several hours per day, frequently drive 150+ miles (as recently as today and will again on Friday).

If signs of loss of independence, mental decline / dementia, or lack of control of bodily function start to show up, “I’m outa here� without hesitation. There will be no such thing as ‘refuse food and drink’. That isn’t my style.

I am not close to biologically related people – and anyone who knows me well is aware of my attitude (and know better than to attempt to interfere or change my mind). Affairs are reasonably in order with assets designated by my preference. A DNR is in place.

I have no fear of death but would prefer it be quick and done (will arrange so if necessary).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JJ50 »

My brother-in-law died yesterday, which albeit sad for those closest to him like his wife and children, it is still a relief.

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

Life on earth is a dying thing.

Why prolong the inevitable?

Let the consciousness of that individual depart its mortal form and be free from that kind of affliction. It is already most of the way there already anyway.

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Death dealer

Post #6

Post by kcplusdc@yahoo.com »

Life needs death to be meaningful and i for one embrace it.
Living forever would take an eternity to happen, I dont got that kind of time.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JJ50 »

My husband attended his brother's funeral on Monday, our eldest daughter took him there, apparently a good time was had by all.