How do atheists celebrate Christmas?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Diagoras
Guru

How do atheists celebrate Christmas?

Post #1

Post by Diagoras »

As a relatively new member of the board, this was my first Christmas on DC&R. It seems that on the days leading up to and after Christmas, the board is a lot quieter, which is of course to be expected. I just wondered whether the experience of those here who aren’t Christian differed much from those who are - apart from perhaps a church service or saying grace at mealtimes?

I travelled across country to a family gathering. There’s the decorated Christmas tree, wrapped presents to open, the ‘traditional’ (i.e. Victorian England) roast turkey lunch and other special food and drink treats for a family feast. Apart from a plastic angel on the tree, we didn’t have anything going on that could be called exclusively religious in nature. Christmas Day is simply a day to enjoy the company of family with a celebratory meal.

Is that very different to other non-religious households? And if I’d been invited to a strongly Christian household, what could I expect to be different?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Christmas has become a commercial holiday that will be forever embedded in society. I don't think a person needs to be religious or believe in gods to enjoy flashing colorful lights, a friendly party atmosphere, and an excuse to take a break from the standard hustle and bustle of work. Who wouldn't jump at the change to have some time off and relax and enjoy spending time with friends?

A person doesn't need to be religious to enjoy the idea of peace on earth good will toward men. No religion owns that idea even if they think they do.

Besides, it's the time of the year for the Winter Solstice which is how I see the holiday. The decorated tree isn't even originally a Christian tradition. That actually started as a pagan tradition. The pagans view the tree as a symbol of life. They even call it "The Tree of Life".

What in the world does a pine tree have to do with Jesus? Or Christianity at all? It has nothing to do with that religion. It's a pagan tradition that the Christians basically tried to claim patent rights on.

Same thing is true of the Easter Bunny and Easter eggs. Those too have absolutely nothing at all to do with Christianity or Jesus. To the contrary Easter was a pagan holiday long before Christianity ever came to be.

For me "Christmas time" is really "Winter Solstice" time. It's basically a celebration of the new year and the rebirth of life itself as we cycle through the seasons.

Christians tend to think that they own the copyright on everything, when in fact they don't. So a person doesn't need to believe in a religion to celebrate the fact that the year is ending and a new year is about to be born.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: How do atheists celebrate Christmas?

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

Diagoras wrote:I just wondered whether the experience of those here who aren’t Christian differed much from those who are - apart from perhaps a church service or saying grace at mealtimes?
My experience has been essentially the same as yours.
Diagoras wrote:Is that very different to other non-religious households? And if I’d been invited to a strongly Christian household, what could I expect to be different?
My wife grew up in an extremely religious home. Their Christmases were birthday parties for Jesus, complete with birthday cake. Her parents rejected anything having to do with Santa Claus because they had a sort of ironic awareness that opportunities for comparing Jesus and Santa might lead children to doubt Jesus.