Anthony Fauci is not great

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher
Scholar

Anthony Fauci is not great

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

This is a very demented man who is peddling fears about a virus that has a 95% recovery rate because he enjoys the fame he is getting from the media.

By being a fear mongerer, Fauci is actively destroying the livelihoods of millions of Americans. We will be able to credit this economic depression, along with the high crime and suicides, solely to Anthony Fauci. The man who actively kept the economy shut down because of his obsession with a little virus.

We will easily recover from the virus, we will most likely NEVER recover from the long lasting economic damage to every single sector of the economy.

Question:

What is your opinion of Dr. Fauci?

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #11

Post by AgnosticBoy »

I notice that some Democrat governors were quick to shut down their economies but now they are slow to open up. When state after state starts opening up and somehow only the states with Democrat governors are falling behind, that will not look good to the voters.

Again, there is way to open the economy while keeping covid-19 deaths low. When people learn that there were ways to open the economy sooner than later, but their governors chose to do it LATER (given the safe ways to do it), then that won't look good.

help3434
Guru

Re: Anthony Fauci is not great

Post #12

Post by help3434 »

AgnosticBoy wrote:
help3434 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by WinePusher]

A recovery rate of 5% means mean 10s of millions get it, millions will die. You don't think that will have a long term effect?
Your stats are incorrect. If your stats were correct then it would mean that the death rate is 95%.
My stat? I was responding to Winepusher. If 60 million get it and 3 million die, that is a 5% death rate. What are you talking about?
AgnosticBoy wrote: Again, clearly false since about 162,000 out of 2,345,000 people have died. 7% of the coronavirus cases lead to death.
So clearly false, but then you report an even higher death rate. Again, what are you talking about?

help3434
Guru

Post #13

Post by help3434 »

WinePusher wrote: [Replying to help3434]

Shutting down EVERYTHING and making EVERYONE stay home is absurd and frankly disgusting and morally sickening.
[/quote}
Good thing that didn't happen or everyone without food storage would have starved to death by now.
WinePusher wrote:]
If YOU fall into the 'at risk' category then YOU can self isolate. Making everyone else give up their lives to protect your mortality is incredibly selfish dontchathink?
As a 30 something who does not have a history of getting seriously ill I am not concerned about my mortality, but about flattening the curve.
WinePusher wrote: But seriously though, since you care so much the death rate, have you looked at all at deaths attributable to the stay at home order? I'm not just talking about the economy at this point, I'm talking about the fact that some Governors won't let people go for walks. Do you have any idea what this does to an individuals mental and physical state? Laying around wasting away on your couch all day?
The death rate is a concern. People try to compare this to the swine flu. It is estimated that about 60 million Americans had the swine flu and about 12,000 died. If the 5% death rate is true, then if 60 million get Covid 19, 3 million will die.
Who is not letting people go for walks? Every stay at home order I have seen explicitly says people can go outside and take walks, and in fact encourages people to do so.

help3434
Guru

Post #14

Post by help3434 »

WinePusher wrote:
Why is it that only the democrats are imposing draconian stay at home orders while freedom loving republicans are trying to implement measured, tempered and reasonable social distancing policies?
Hmm, that sounds like Democratic governor Jared Polis to me. How is he a tyrannical authoritarian?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #15

Post by Bust Nak »

help3434 wrote: My stat? I was responding to Winepusher. If 60 million get it and 3 million die, that is a 5% death rate. What are you talking about?
He is griping about "death rate" vs "recovery rate." 5% death rate = 95% recovery rate; and 5% recovery rate = 95% death rate.

koko

Post #16

Post by koko »

Texas and other locales which reopened their states to commerce are reporting a large spike in Covid19 cases. Shame that more people will be lost.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Goat »

WinePusher wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 am [Replying to help3434]

The people who are most likely to die from this virus are older people who are already out of the workforce. These old people can stay home and quarantine, as well any other highly vulnerable demographic, while people who are reasonably healthy and have a high chance of surviving the virus can take calculated risks for themselves.

Shutting down EVERYTHING and making EVERYONE stay home is absurd and frankly disgusting and morally sickening. If YOU fall into the 'at risk' category then YOU can self isolate. Making everyone else give up their lives to protect your mortality is incredibly selfish dontchathink?

Have you considered the deaths that will come about from the economic depression? The longer the economy is shut down the longer the misery will be. The original goal of the shutdown was to save the hospitals from drowning. Ok, the hospitals are safe now. We have medical resources sufficiently deployed across hot spots like New York. Mission accomplished, time to reopen.

But seriously though, since you care so much the death rate, have you looked at all at deaths attributable to the stay at home order? I'm not just talking about the economy at this point, I'm talking about the fact that some Governors won't let people go for walks. Do you have any idea what this does to an individuals mental and physical state? Laying around wasting away on your couch all day?

We were told that the economy would open at the end of April, and if you think it should extend longer you have no tenable argument to support your case. What are the possible reasons why some people want the lockdown to continue?

1. It's destroying the economy and they want Trump to fail and lose

2. An economic shutdown is the left's wet dream. No cars, no plans, no factories? No pollution?!?!!!?111!

3. The democrats deep down at tyrannical liberty hating authoritarians. Why is it that only the democrats are imposing draconian stay at home orders while freedom loving republicans are trying to implement measured, tempered and reasonable social distancing policies? The democratic party is over, Joe Biden will be their final nail in the coffin.
There are a number of misconceptions here.

1) People dying would destroy the economy. The models would have 10 times the number dying than we have currently. As it is, more than 110K people have in the USA. Someone I know lost both their parents within a day of each other because of Covid 19

2) No, an economic shutdown is not 'the left's wet dream'. They are getting affected by the slump too. That statement is a straw man.

3) That statement is a very prejudiced statement that does not reflect how democrats either think or feel. It also sounds like wishful thinking that 'the democratic party is over'. Somehow, if Trump loses in November, I am sure he will be quickly forgotten by the Republicans.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Zzyzx »

Interesting topic.

Reading the posts exposes expressions of bigotry and blanket condemnation by one or two people.

I live in Arkansas, a vivid red state, where the Governor tried minimum response to the pandemic. It is pretty much 'business as usual' with only a few types of businesses closed briefly and now reopening.

Although Arkansas is largely rural, agricultural, and low population density, it is now one of the 'virus hot-spots' -- a leader in Covid-19 case increases.

Although some want to make the issue political by promoting minimum response to the pandemic by Republican-led states, such states account for 13 of the top 21 states in increasing rates of Covid-19. Is that called 'winning'?

Discussion seems to divide between those who are more concerned about life and health vs. those who are most concerned about the economy. I wonder how many are willing to sacrifice (or risk) family members to keep businesses open.

The virus doesn't seem to check voter registration cards before infecting people.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence