Donate your check

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Donate your check

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Defiant Louisiana pastor Tony Spell urges people to donate coronavirus stimulus money to evangelists
Pastor Tony Spell, who has defiantly kept his Louisiana church open amid the coronavirus pandemic, is now calling for people to donate their stimulus money to religious personnel.

The pastor of Life Tabernacle Church near Baton Rouge introduced the #PastorSpellStimulusChallenge on Wednesday and urged those who received stimulus money for COVID-19 relief to give it to evangelists, missionaries and music ministers “who haven’t had an offering in a month.�

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus ... story.html
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Overcomer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

I have seen lots of people acting in defiance of the "stay home", "avoid gatherings of more than 10", rules. People involved in a protest in Michigan wanted to re-open their businesses because they were afraid they would go under. One woman insisted that, if she wasn't afraid of getting the virus and dying, then she should be allowed to work.

But here's the thing: She may pass it along to someone else who doesn't want to get sick, who could possibly die. She's saying her finances and her job and her business are all more important than a human life. She's being selfish and stupid just like the pastor you mentioned in your post, Zzyzx.

Young people are the other problem. They don't see it as being serious at all. They're sure they'll survive it, but again, they're not thinking of other people and the negative effect their lackadaisical attitude might have on someone with whom they cross paths.

The Bible tells us that we are to obey our secular governments when they are trying to do what is right and good for the well-being of us all and does not contradict God's will. This is why we should all be doing what we are told by the authorities in charge regarding this pandemic.

As somebody put it, we have the chance to do good by staying home and watching television. Let's not blow it!!!

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

Overcomer wrote: As somebody put it, we have the chance to do good by staying home and watching television. Let's not blow it!!!
I am in agreement until mention of watching television. Although that may be the most common home activity for people, and something to which many people are addicted or habituated, I do not encourage it at all. Rather than killing time and filling the mind with nonsense, perhaps people could learn to read -- perish the thought -- or even <gasp> read non-fiction (and increase their information base).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Donate your check

Post #4

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Defiant Louisiana pastor Tony Spell urges people to donate coronavirus stimulus money to evangelists
Pastor Tony Spell, who has defiantly kept his Louisiana church open amid the coronavirus pandemic, is now calling for people to donate their stimulus money to religious personnel.

The pastor of Life Tabernacle Church near Baton Rouge introduced the #PastorSpellStimulusChallenge on Wednesday and urged those who received stimulus money for COVID-19 relief to give it to evangelists, missionaries and music ministers “who haven’t had an offering in a month.�

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus ... story.html
I can accept that pastors need to make a living so I'm not against a preacher asking for some money. I would question a pastor asking for all of the stimulus money since he or she may be asking for more than their needs. When you ask for more than what's needed, that is greed. This is especially the case when the church-goers need the money, as well.

This statement from the pastor worries me:
“True Christians do not mind dying,". If this was made by this pastor then I would caution anyone following that statement since that is how Jim Jones got his followers to commit suicide in Guyana. Perhaps he could've said Christians should not fear dying, but that doesn't mean you do careless things and purposely put yourself in the middle of danger.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #5

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Overcomer wrote: One woman insisted that, if she wasn't afraid of getting the virus and dying, then she should be allowed to work.

But here's the thing: She may pass it along to someone else who doesn't want to get sick, who could possibly die. She's saying her finances and her job and her business are all more important than a human life. She's being selfish and stupid just like the pastor you mentioned in your post, Zzyzx.
I don't see a difference between someone's livelihood and their life since you need money to make a living - to provide shelter, food, and necessities for you and your family. Those families living paycheck to paycheck would understand that better than anyone else.

Secondly, opening up the economy can be balanced with avoiding the spread of infection. The essential businesses that are opened up right now are already showing us how that's done. BUT, I can also say we should not be worrying about the spread of infection if you are in the low risk population that would experience MILD symptoms. So to remedy your scenario, I would say that the high risk population should keep their butts home and isolate themselves from the low risk population. Let the low risk population RECOVER from the virus and build immunity, then we can let everyone else out.

If that's not done, then we risk setting the precedent of shutting down the economy over every viral outbreak, when such EXTREME is unnecessary.