Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

A Tail of Three Donkeys and a Horse.

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

All four are quadrepeds.
All four were used as methods of travel.

1. The Palm Sunday, Jesus donkey.
2. The donkey trip of Aquinas before his death.
3. The classic Saul/Paul horse journey.
4. The talking donkey of the Old Testament.

My favourite is 4.

Have you any considerations that you want to share regarding this general chat topic.

I have been reading extensively during Lockdown and I keep bumping into these quadrepeds.

Thank You.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #2

Post by Thomas123 »

Imagine being a process server!
Imagine the tension!
Would your driving be good?
These four journeys were a bit like that!

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: A Tail of Three Donkeys and a Horse.

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

Thomas123 wrote: 4. The talking donkey of the Old Testament.

My favourite is 4.
That tale began (or accelerated) my exit from Christianity. Even at at age ten I couldn't understand why adults told that tall tale with a straight face as though it was true. "If they will lie to me about the little things, they will lie to me about the big things."

Fourth grade was my last year in Catholic school (when it became obvious that I was not believing the tales told and it was recommended that I attend public school).
Thomas123 wrote: I have been reading extensively during Lockdown and I keep bumping into these quadrepeds.
During this time I have also been reading a bit more than usual – Non-Fiction.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Thomas123
Sage

Post #4

Post by Thomas123 »

In truth, I was mentally rejecting Catholicism at a very early age too.
In primary school ( elementary), I was eating up encyclopedias, in a hunger to learn. I loved reading about, rats and snakes and coal mines, etc etc.

Every weekend the people that I knew would go to the chapel and I would absorb the atmosphere of their gathering.it felt ancient and weird, like a scary perversion. The artwork of saints,the woman standing on the snake, the little gargoyles holding up the arches, the holy smoke, the holy water, the reverence. In Winter the mission would come to the parish, and they would bring their lit up stalls to the church gate. They would visit the school, sometimes leaving an application form to take home to parents. Some nights they would preach hell doctrines. Because of my openness to learning which I had always tried to keep, this new stuff worried me deeply. I made the decision that the whole thing was malarkey. It scared the joy out of me.

Anyway, do you want to ride these four quadrepeds down the road with me , Zzyzx

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

Thomas123 wrote: Anyway, do you want to ride these four quadrepeds down the road with me , Zzyzx
You ride, I'll come along on my bicycle.

A wise man told me, "Don't keep anything you have to feed or paint."
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Thomas123
Sage

Post #6

Post by Thomas123 »

Sound advice ,indeed, Zzyzx.

I have been thinking about donkeys.
I had a pet donkey once.
Impossible to ride and dangerous at both ends.
People appear to have to be very firm with these creatures to get compliance.
They were used extensively in antiquity and are still used today.
There are practical reasons for this usage.

The donkey equivalent today might be a small Toyota or an old Ferguson TE20, tractor, not great for going to the shops but good for planting some vegetables with.

I want to talk about the accidents that Aquinas, Saul, and Balaam had on their steeds.
The Jesus figure at least stayed on board, although it looks like he might have rented his donkey for the day.(borrowed/stolen?)

Isn't it amazing that following on from TV shows like Knight Rider, that we now have the talking car. My humble little Yaris can correct me when I go astray, a bit like your man's donkey from yesteryear. It cannot detect angels on the route but it is well aware of the invisible boundaries that are speed zones.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #7

Post by Thomas123 »

Unable to add image of man on donkey,Sorry!

Thomas123
Sage

Post #8

Post by Thomas123 »

Aquinas
"On his way to the Council, riding on a donkey along the Appian Way, he struck his head on the branch of a fallen tree and became seriously ill again"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas

Balaam
" And when the ass saw the angel of the Lord, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again."
Numbers 22:25 KJV

Saul
"And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus. And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink."
Acts 9:8-9 KJV

The Jesus Figure
"Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me."
Matthew 21:2 KJV

Thomas123
Sage

Post #9

Post by Thomas123 »

Living north of sixty has me sharing empathy with several of these quadreped owners, particularly Aquinas and Balaam. As you get older , your immediate agendas and actions absorb a certain frantic quality.Aquinas has a thing that needs doing as does Balaam. My driving 'goes to pot' when I am self-absorbed like this. I sometimes miss a turn and drive ' unconsciously', from muscle memory. I think older people, including myself, should have to re-sit a driving competency test every five years from sixty.

I have been a 'gung hoh Joe' like Saul, slashing at windmills ,in my time as well and my driving wasn't the best then ,either. My best driving has been when i have been calm.
I hadn't a set of chroniclers trying to sew on a Biblical prophecy to my Yaris number plate, , which is bound to add significance to any journey.

Anyone for the donkey rides?

Thomas123
Sage

Post #10

Post by Thomas123 »

Zechariah 9:9 KJV
Rejoice greatly, O daughter Zion!
Shout aloud, O daughter Jerusalem!
Lo, your king comes to you;
triumphant and victorious is he,
humble and riding on a donkey,
on a colt, the foal of a donkey.