New member, Simple Question

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Joeseppe

New member, Simple Question

Post #1

Post by Joeseppe »

I'm a new member to the forum and a bit overwhelmed by many elaborate, detailed very verbose posts. I come as a non-theist who likes to explore how both theists and non-theists came to follow their doctrine of choice.

Simply put, why do you either believe or not believe in a God? A single sentence response will suffice.

Thanks.
-
Retired, non-believer, Atheist
"Who was the intelligent designer of your God?"

tam
Savant

Re: New member, Simple Question

Post #2

Post by tam »

Peace to you and welcome to the forum.

One sentence, hmm? I will try...

I believe in (the living) God because I have always sensed Him, and because His Son (the living Christ) has made Him known to me.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I believe in God (a Creator) because it's the only logical explanation for the ordered physical universe around us and the life that exists therein.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

EVOLUTION, BIBLE HISTORY and ...BIBLICAL EVIDENCE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed May 27, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I believe in God and Christianity because it is the most rational and most appealing of all worldviews.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

I believe in the Lord because he revealed himself to me and everything I have studied since then about the Bible, Jesus, Christianity and Christian apologetics has confirmed in my mind what I knew in my heart.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Belief in God functions to provide answers to the existential issues in life and therefore provides comfort, but there is no need for an actual God to exist for belief to function in this manner. Given that there is no verifiable evidence of God's existence, there is no reason to conclude that the source of belief in God is based on anything other than the function that belief provides.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Quantrill »

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:10 pm .
Belief in God functions to provide answers to the existential issues in life and therefore provides comfort, but there is no need for an actual God to exist for belief to function in this manner. Given that there is no verifiable evidence of God's existence, there is no reason to conclude that the source of belief in God is based on anything other than the function that belief provides.

Tcg
You say " belief in God functions to provide answers to the existential issues in life". Who came up with that law? You? Must be handy.

Because you are wrong in the 'function', the rest of your equation is useless.

Quantrill

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

This is a discussion sub-forum, thus I won't enter into a debate here.

If you care to enter into the spirit of this general discussion, perhaps you'd be willing to address the question the author of this thread asks:
  • Simply put, why do you either believe or not believe in a God? A single sentence response will suffice.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom