George Floyd - New Leaked Footage

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

George Floyd - New Leaked Footage

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

I recently watched the new leaked footage of George Floyd.

He was clearly resisting arrest. But that seems to be because he was in a fearful and irrational condition due to the presence of fentanyl and methamphetamines along with other drugs. He thought, for instance, they were going to kill him even when they assured him they wouldn't. He was at fault for being high, but looking at the footage it is reasonable to assume he was not in a good state of mind by any stretch.

He couldn't get into the police car. So he had to be put on the ground. That I get. What I still don't get is why he should have had a foot planted on his neck for over 8 minutes. Did the officers not have recourse to any other procedure? To what extent was he a loose cannon or incapable of being restrained by any other method than the one that killed him?

Racism or negligence could have still played a role. Racism could have been occasioned in the moment, due to frustration sparking resentment. On the other hand negligence could have played a role because the officers simply could have adopted a different restraining method. Were they too caught up in the moment? In both senses, they could have been.