Being openminded enough to change

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Being openminded enough to change

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Have you changed your POV since you've been on this (or similar) sites?

Have God spoken to you and you decided that YES, God is real and I must seek him or have your brain taken over and said NO, God is not real and I must now change my life to accommodate that?

It seems, as with politics, arguing religion is pointless most of the time. It's like trying to sell a Silverado to a family that's owned nothing my F150s: their allegiance is pretty much set.

It seems it's less about debating and more about arguing. Maybe that's something that's very human; we can't see past our own noses and open our minds enough to see another POV?

Does/has your open mindedness allow you to change your POV one way or the other?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Re: Being openminded enough to change

Post #11

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 pm Have you changed your POV since you've been on this (or similar) sites?
My POV expands from every site encounter - cyber or otherwise...that is a state of constant change.
Have God spoken to you and you decided that YES, God is real and I must seek him or have your brain taken over and said NO, God is not real and I must now change my life to accommodate that?
My POV has expanded enough that "God" (as he is commonly known by) is probably a real being (think: Wizard of Oz) and dressed up n the fiction of religion.
As to "Creator" I explained how I deal with that already...
It seems, as with politics, arguing religion is pointless most of the time. It's like trying to sell a Silverado to a family that's owned nothing my F150s: their allegiance is pretty much set.
Together religion and politics make a formidable team - world rulers (real-world position) - as Agnostic Boy points out - reasoning is not enough...
It seems it's less about debating and more about arguing. Maybe that's something that's very human; we can't see past our own noses and open our minds enough to see another POV?
Debating is arguing, when it comes to politics and religion...it is a form of distraction so that real-world issues appear unreal...
Does/has your open mindedness allow you to change your POV one way or the other?
Yes - although it is fair to argue (so I will) that the more open minded one becomes the more one learns of the real world the more one cannot accept the mythology over the real-world...although I can see and have/do experience the overlap on occasion - so "be like water" rather than rock...(water shapes rock)

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #12

Post by AgnosticBoy »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 pm Have you changed your POV since you've been on this (or similar) sites?

The points that you bring up are some of the reasons why I believe that being a good debater requires understanding psychology. That's probably more true when dealing with hot button issues because factors besides logic and evidence are at play. Like in politics, it is obvious why politicians would not care a whole lot about logic and evidence and that's because power and money big factors in their thinking and decision-making. This is why you tend to see them arguing for one position at one time, and when voters are seeming to go another way, they switch their position and argue for something else. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes exposing some of this psychology in order to progress towards the truth of the matter in a debate.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

John Bauer
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by John Bauer »

Not this site, but yes. I have experienced two massive paradigm shifts as a result of discussions and debates in forums like this, (1) from Arminian to Calvinist theology and (2) from young-earth creationism to evolutionary creationism.1

1 What is "evolutionary creationism?" Evolutionary creationism is a theological view that deals with how to understand the science and history of evolution from within a biblical world-view. It is not a scientific theory or research program; it is a strictly theological view which holds that natural processes are orchestrated by God's ordinary providence in accordance with his good pleasure and the purposes of his will.
"Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act
in accordance with the dictates of reason."
— Oscar Wilde.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all
argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle
is contempt prior to investigation."
— William Paley.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #14

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Since starting on discussing the subject, my position has changed, somewhat. From sharing the general skeptical view that the gospel accounts are more or less telling a true story but perhaps the events were misinterpreted as divine miracles, I have been driven to the position that they are not true though there may well have been a real person (Jesus) and things that he did that are basic to the gospel story.