Being openminded enough to change

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Being openminded enough to change

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Have you changed your POV since you've been on this (or similar) sites?

Have God spoken to you and you decided that YES, God is real and I must seek him or have your brain taken over and said NO, God is not real and I must now change my life to accommodate that?

It seems, as with politics, arguing religion is pointless most of the time. It's like trying to sell a Silverado to a family that's owned nothing my F150s: their allegiance is pretty much set.

It seems it's less about debating and more about arguing. Maybe that's something that's very human; we can't see past our own noses and open our minds enough to see another POV?

Does/has your open mindedness allow you to change your POV one way or the other?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Being openminded enough to change

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

I have become more Christian due to this forum. I have also developed, surely. :approve: :D
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

I am of the solid opinion that we exist within a simulated reality and therefore some creator is implied in that process, but I have no solid opinion on the nature of said creator [or creators] other than I think it unlikely the Christian idea of a creator is the correct one to assume.
I have the same opinion regarding other religions beliefs in the nature of said creator(s) and think that knowing the nature of said creator(s) is less important than knowing the nature of our simulated reality although also think it possible we can derive some idea of the nature of creator(s) through study and ongoing knowledge of the nature of said simulated reality...

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Aetixintro wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:50 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

I have become more Christian due to this forum. I have also developed, surely. :approve: :D
Care to expound on what caused the changes?
Not challenging you - simply curious

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:04 pm I am of the solid opinion that we exist within a simulated reality and therefore some creator is implied in that process, but I have no solid opinion on the nature of said creator [or creators] other than I think it unlikely the Christian idea of a creator is the correct one to assume.
I have the same opinion regarding other religions beliefs in the nature of said creator(s) and think that knowing the nature of said creator(s) is less important than knowing the nature of our simulated reality although also think it possible we can derive some idea of the nature of creator(s) through study and ongoing knowledge of the nature of said simulated reality...
Thank you for the response.
I find the below quote very interesting
think that knowing the nature of said creator(s) is less important than knowing the nature of our simulated reality
IMO, if people would look at it this way, people as a whole would be a lot happier.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:23 pm
William wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:04 pm I am of the solid opinion that we exist within a simulated reality and therefore some creator is implied in that process, but I have no solid opinion on the nature of said creator [or creators] other than I think it unlikely the Christian idea of a creator is the correct one to assume.
Thank you for the response.
I find the below quote very interesting
think that knowing the nature of said creator(s) is less important than knowing the nature of our simulated reality
IMO, if people would look at it this way, people as a whole would be a lot happier.
I think the reason why mythology was invented was because people were unhappy with their situation...and I completely understand that reaction - as being stuck somewhere one has no idea about and having to work it out from scratch - all the time trying to avoid being eaten or enslaved is enough to send folk over the edge and into a fantasy world they believe would be better suited to their desires.

In that, mythology is a coping mechanism which has been useful both in positive and negative ways.

And here we find ourselves now in a time and place within the reality-[real world] simulation where we are getting a bead on understanding said situation, science has revealed the true horror of it to us and so "mythology-mythology-mythology"...because mythology has been the most useful device to counteract the horror but its downside is that it prevents us from adapting and getting more of a grip on the real-world.

Meantime the criminally inclined have devised systems which bring about and continuously promote the functioning of disparity so that those crims can be top dogs of the overall prison the planet is.

That is why the god-ideas the criminals invented are projections of the criminals themselves and what they are prepared to do to keep their positions of power over this madhouse. (see Doctrine of Hell and Damnation as one such device.)

Happiness is not really the end-game because different folk have opposing ideas as to what constitutes happiness.

Happiness is more a concept derived from a position of not being happy and mythology fills the gaps whereas it would be far better to fill the gaps using the stuff of reality.

Identify the problem. Is it real? Yes it is. Then I will deal with it using real-world materials and dispense with having need for mythology as if the real world problems were something without real-world solutions...i could go on but you get the picture...

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #7

Post by AgnosticBoy »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 pm Have you changed your POV since you've been on this (or similar) sites?
Yes, and it made me an agnostic and an independent.
nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 pmIt seems it's less about debating and more about arguing.
At some point, a lot of debates turn into what you're saying, and that's especially true for debates on hot topic issues. In general, most of the major points are made on the first few pages and the rest just turns into an endless merry-go-round involving the major points. Beyond that point, I rarely see the participants trying to illuminate anything but instead they just try to make their points louder.
nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 pmMaybe that's something that's very human; we can't see past our own noses and open our minds enough to see another POV?
To borrow from some of Sigmund Freud's type of thinking, it's probably something from childhood. We all want our way. We've got to find ways to set aside our biases, close-mindedness, and much of that involves working through our psychology (cognitive and emotional factors that hinder change) as opposed to just an appeal to reason. Reason, by itself, is not enough.
nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 pmDoes/has your open mindedness allow you to change your POV one way or the other?
Open-mindedness is a big factor. It allows someone to consider new information or even information that goes against the mainstream. I made an entire thread devoted to a skepticism that accommodates open-mindedness and I think that is at least one good way of thinking. You can read more on that here, Open-minded skepticism vs. A-priori skepticism. People are usually closed-off to changing their mind because they are thinking in terms of pre-existing views or are just simply trying to reinforce pre-existing views.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #7]
I'm not familiar with 'independent' as you use it here. Can you explain?

And thank you for the reply and link. I will check it out :ok:

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #9

Post by AgnosticBoy »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:15 pm [Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #7]
Independent is political position in the United States. It refers to someone who is not a Democrat nor Republican. I tend to connect it to agnostics because I see the independents as being the agnostics of politics. They tend to not commit to both parties in the same way that some agnostics don't commit to the atheist nor theist side.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:22 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:15 pm [Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #7]
Independent is political position in the United States. It refers to someone who is not a Democrat nor Republican. I tend to connect it to agnostics because I see the independents as being the agnostics of politics. They tend to not commit to both parties in the same way that some agnostics don't commit to the atheist nor theist side.
Oh yes yes yes. I thought it had something to do with a belief in God, not politics, which is why I was unclear.
My mistake :approve: