US Senate's Decision To Impeach

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

US Senate's Decision To Impeach

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

Former US President Donald Trump's impeachment isn't strictly Constitutional-- i.e. by the book --which is precisely why Chief Justice Roberts is taking no part in it.

The vote to construe Mr. Trump's impeachment as Constitutional wasn't a legislative vote, rather, it was an opinion vote; i.e. a poll. In other words, at this point in time, the US Senate is a kangaroo court, i.e. a lynch mob, just as it was in 1876 when it tried Secretary of War William Belknap after he resigned.

Also: the decision to impeach Mr. Trump, if successful, opens the door for impeaching all past, out of office, US Presidents; including Mr. Richard Nixon, who himself resigned rather than be forced out of office. In point of fact, the impeachment process was originally designed to remove a US President from office. Mr. Trump is already out; same as Mr. Nixon was and same as Mr. Belknap.

Normally guilty verdicts rendered by the US Senate when impeaching a US President cannot be appealed. But this time, the accused is a private citizen; which means Mr. Trump may have solid legal grounds for an appeal should this fiasco go south on him.

In my opinion; the United States government is behaving like uneducated hillbillies in this matter, and I can't help but wonder what the rest of the world is thinking about our stability right about now.
_

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: US Senate's Decision To Impeach

Post #11

Post by AgnosticBoy »

What I dislike about this case is that some of the accusers are responsible for the same inflammatory rhetoric that Trump has made. Some of these comments were made during the BLM/Antifa riots. No one is calling for impeachment of these members.

Such hypocrisy leads me to conclude that this is all or mostly political. It's mostly about going after the other side.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

WebersHome wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:29 pm .
Miles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:10 pmSeems the Senate disagrees by a vote of 56-44, which is all that counts
The "Senate" didn't disagree with me; only a little over half did.

I'm going to assume English isn't your native language, and give you a bye on this one.

Have a good day.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #13

Post by WebersHome »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:20 pmThat's literally the tenth amendment:
Only partially.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

The key word in that is "delegated".

In a nutshell: the federal government has only those powers delegated to it by the Constitution. Seeing as how the Constitution doesn't delegate power to the federal government to impeach a former president; then it has no right to.

In other words: the Constitution has to say that it's okay for the federal government to impeach a former public officer. The Constitution's silence on the matter is not a green light to proceed, rather, it's just the opposite; which means that if my understanding of the 10th Amendment is correct, then Mr. Trump's impeachment is illegal and no more Constitutional than a necktie party.

Also-- if my understanding of the 10th Amendment is correct --then had Chief Justice Roberts chosen to preside over the impeachment of a former president, he would've exceeded his power because the Constitution only delegates him to preside over the impeachments of presidents in office.

This is really big, and if Mr. Trump's lawyers have overlooked it; then shame on them.
_
Last edited by WebersHome on Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to Miles in post #13]

Moderator Comment

Refrain from personal attacks on other posters. Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #15

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Eventhough I'm not in favor in impeaching the president, but I do believe that he should be subject to a criminal investigation. I would be open for impeachment if he were found guilty from such an investigation.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #16

Post by AgnosticBoy »

President Trump is acquitted, and my response to that is good! My response is not based on my thinking that he is innocent of any or all crimes, but rather it's based on my disagreement with the LACK of good standards involved in impeaching a president or member of government for that matter.

If we let Senators go by their own personal preferences or standards of what good evidence is, then anyone in the majority can impeach anyone for any reason. This is also very likely given the fact that some Democrats have also made inflammatory comments that may've sparked or added fuel to angry and violent protests.

My position has always been that Trump's second impeachment should've only happened pending the results of a criminal investigation. At least such investigations would have standards and precedent and better due process.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #17

Post by AgnosticBoy »

According to a report from Reuters:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Monday lawmakers will establish an outside, independent commission to review the "facts and causes" related to the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of then-President Donald Trump.
Why couldn't this have been done BEFORE impeachment?