Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

God of the gaps for atheists

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Recently I wrote:
You know, a lot of atheist talk is like a lifelong prisoner no longer believing there is anything outside the prison cell. Religion or not I just don't think it is justifiable. I do think it is a worldview and when I point it out atheists tend to get very offended (as if I attacked a sacred belief).
This is a discussion of what this means and if it is valid claim.

We know the sun rises and sets every day, day in and day out. Assuming only common sense knowledge you would be right to assume that it will always be the case.

Similarly for death. Assuming common sense knowledge you would be right to assume death is the end of life.

But then someone shows that the sun is a ball of energy and is burning up and you realise that one day the sun will not rise (or set). That it is simply a habit of life that you assumed was normal.

To date, the atheist believes death is the end, because of the same reasoning. As soon as someone rises from the dead that satisfies their burden of proof then they will change their view.

But this has two philosophical issues.

1) Humes problem of induction
https://beisecker.faculty.unlv.edu/Cour ... uction.htm

2) The god of the gaps fallacy
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

From rational wiki: God of the gaps (or a divine fallacy) is a logical fallacy that occurs when believers invoke Goddidit (or a variant) in order to account for some natural phenomena that science cannot (at the time of the argument) explain. This concept resembles what systems theorists[1] refer to as an "explanatory principle".[2] "God of the gaps" is a bad argument not only on logical grounds, but on empirical grounds: there is a long history of "gaps" being filled and the remaining gaps for God thus getting smaller and smaller, suggesting "we don't know yet" as an alternative that works better in practice; naturalistic explanations for still-mysterious phenomena always remain possible, especially in the future where research may uncover more information.[3]
In the end the atheist claims about death are simply a gap and they are quick to fill it with nothing. That nothing happens after death.

So back to my quote.

If you were born inside a locked room and given food and water and air and whatever to survive through a hole then it is possible you might never wonder what is outside the room. That room just happens to be he universe and death is the border to what might be beyond.

Responses please :)
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: God of the gaps for atheists

Post #41

Post by Athetotheist »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:17 pmStarting point for what?
For whatever discussion proceeds from there.
JoeyKnothead wrote:Not even that definition can be shown to be truthful.
That's the kind of thing discussion is for.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:56 pm
Well then, discuss on how God fits your proposed definition, and let's see if it can be confirmed as fact.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by Athetotheist »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:54 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:56 pm
Well then, discuss on how God fits your proposed definition, and let's see if it can be confirmed as fact.
I don't remember presenting my proposed definition as fact, but is there something about my proposed definition that God wouldn't fit?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:28 pm I don't remember presenting my proposed definition as fact, but is there something about my proposed definition that God wouldn't fit?
I've set up an OP here should you wish to explore this issue further.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #45

Post by Athetotheist »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:26 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:28 pm I don't remember presenting my proposed definition as fact, but is there something about my proposed definition that God wouldn't fit?
I've set up an OP here should you wish to explore this issue further.
If you take a look, you'll see that I've already been there.