Miles
Savant

Re: Is this a fair assessment?

Post #11

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:04 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:35 pm [Replying to William in post #8]

What the __ ?!

You're scratching your head, and I'm speechless.
I know, right!

I decided to reply the following;

I got my 2nd jab on 1st Sept even though I understood that my body might react badly and I might even die.
I did not do so because I wanted to help the economy or some Nazi agenda. I did so because it seemed the most ethical choice I could make under the circumstances.
Got my 3rd (booster) yesterday. Still a little sore, but am pleased to help myself, family, and the community.

William
Savant

Post #12

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:27 pm

What the __ ?!

I know, right!

I got my 2nd jab on 1st Sept even though I understood that my body might react badly and I might even die.
I did not do so because I wanted to help the economy or some Nazi agenda. I did so because it seemed the most ethical choice I could make under the circumstances.
Got my 3rd (booster) yesterday. Still a little sore, but am pleased to help myself, family, and the community.

I got this reply back;

William, I respect your choices, always, and would fight for your right to choose what is best and most ethical for you, regardless of my own personal beliefs. It is all about you ❤️ lol and us. All of us, being cool about diversity, and supporting each other in our uniqueness.

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

My reply;

Yes it is Rachael, but support can only go so far as the rules say. I might be able to buy groceries for my brother who refuses to get the jab, but I cannot go to a concert for him, or a doctor or dentist etc..it is not that I want to treat him like a Jew in Nazi country, but rules are rules and ultimately if the choice is to go without those social amenities for whatever reason, then this causes a schism in said society - one that has been noticed...but is it noticed as a threat? What is the alternative?

eta

Its not that I don't Love You. It is that if you caught the virus and died from it, I would cry inside and get on with having to live the life I am having, as if somehow alternatives could be found...and in the meantime...

Miles
Savant

Post #14

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:41 pm My reply;

Yes it is Rachael, but support can only go so far as the rules say. I might be able to buy groceries for my brother who refuses to get the jab, but I cannot go to a concert for him, or a doctor or dentist etc..it is not that I want to treat him like a Jew in Nazi country, but rules are rules and ultimately if the choice is to go without those social amenities for whatever reason, then this causes a schism in said society - one that has been noticed...but is it noticed as a threat? What is the alternative?

eta

Its not that I don't Love You. It is that if you caught the virus and died from it, I would cry inside and get on with having to live the life I am having, as if somehow alternatives could be found...and in the meantime...
And the problem remains; even if you are immunized you can still be a carrier, and possibly pass on the disease.

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:23 pm
William wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:41 pm My reply;

eta

And the problem remains; even if you are immunized you can still be a carrier, and possibly pass on the disease.

Yes. So then we are still looking at climate change as dwarfing this current drama...on it goes like the great adventure ride it obviously is!

Miles
Savant

Post #16

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:01 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:23 pm

Yes. So then we are still looking at climate change as dwarfing this current drama...on it goes like the great adventure ride it obviously is!

................... Indeed!

William
Savant

Post #17

Post by William »

One variation on The Ride...

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #18

Post by AgnosticBoy »

What the __ ?!

I know, right!

I can admit that I was skeptical of the vaccine. But once I didn't see large numbers of people dying after getting it, I made the decision to get vaccinated myself.

As an agnostic, I try to be neutral until I can factor in all of the strong and valid points from both sides. I'm willing to do that even if that leads to me being undecided or forming a moderate view. However, it is hard to find any point of validity with the anti-vaxxers side. They sound and think too much like conspiracy theorists.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

William
Savant

Post #19

Post by William »

More anti vax propaganda - from a sector of the Christian sector...

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:53 pmBeing born with a certain genetic profile, which one has nothing to do with, and choosing to do X rather than Y, which one does have something to do with, are hardly comparable. Hence, the "assessment" is outright stupid. Like grade school stupid.
The central connection, I think, is that this group causes harm.

You can say, it's ridiculous that Jews cause harm, that's horrible, that's racist, and history eventually proved you right. But at one time, antisemitism was common. People had all sorts of now-disproven, crackpot ways to show that white people were lords and masters of the universe, and at one time, that was "the science" and you would have been disagreeing.

As for whether or not you can change something, I tend to think the picture in the OP would still disgust people if you could just take a pill and not be ethnically Jewish anymore. Many people might not want to take it. What if, when they become white, they get freckles? Some white people have freckles. They shouldn't have to risk getting (ick!) freckles just because someone thinks their being ethnically Semitic causes some nebulous harm. But, freckles don't harm you, the Nazis say, just take your pill, and as for the slight difference in skin tone, well, you're barely likelier to get skin cancer, so just deal with it. No, says the Jew, because I get to decide what might harm me when it comes to what I put in my body, and if you think I've harmed you, lay off the witch hunt and prove it in a fair and just court.

Ultimately I don't think it's fair to make the direct comparison, no. But there is a thread of commonality, and that's when an authoritarian society takes it upon itself to declare alarmingly sweepingly who is causing harm, and act upon it, slyly sneaking in lawlessness and arbitrariness, without bothering to prove anything or adjudicate anything in a fair court. For example, you can't define giving someone a disease as a crime, since vaccinated people can pass on the disease as well. You can't even define the wrong choice as negligence since people have had adverse side-effects and anyone's whose child got hurt would now be jailbound.