Post #1

Post by William »

Anti Vax reasoning.

Miles
Savant

Re: Is this a fair assessment?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

. . . . . Not quite sure here, but is the comment to the right a dig at the recent pro-covid vaccination position?

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to William in post #1]

I don't see any reference to vaccinations pro or con. Beyond that, this is a not a debate sub-forum, but rather a general discussion sub-forum. Are you expecting debate? If so you've put this in the wrong sub-forum.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:36 pm .

. . . . . Not quite sure here, but is the comment to the right a dig at the recent pro-covid vaccination position?

The picture with accompanying words came on my FB newsfeed and is from the anti-vax sector.

It is aligning what happened to the Jews in Nazi Germany, with how anti-vaxers are being treated because they refuse to get vaccinated.

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #3]

I wasn't looking for debate about it, just general chat.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:57 am
Miles wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:36 pm .

The picture with accompanying words came on my FB newsfeed and is from the anti-vax sector.

It is aligning what happened to the Jews in Nazi Germany, with how anti-vaxers are being treated because they refuse to get vaccinated.
Being born with a certain genetic profile, which one has nothing to do with, and choosing to do X rather than Y, which one does have something to do with, are hardly comparable. Hence, the "assessment" is outright stupid. Like grade school stupid.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #7

Post by AgnosticBoy »

William wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:40 pm Anti Vax reasoning.
There are similarities, but of course, there are also differences. It all depends on why passports were required. In Hitler's case, it was wrong. But doing it for reasons of ensuring that someone is vaccinated (to help prevent or decrease the spread or risk of spread of a virus) is definitely a different scenario.

Another thing that the anti vaxxer may be trying to do is an 'appeal to emotion'. The anti-vaxxer in your example is probably not interested in the validity of their association, but his purpose is to illicit negative and strong emotion, the same type that people would have towards Hitler's genealogical passports. This has the effect of getting people to judge the issue on emotional terms. It also has the effect of even shaming or silencing the other side - defending vaccine passports makes you a Nazi or a supporter of their policies.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #7]

I decided to link that source you gave re 'appeal to emotion' on the FB news feed, and got this reply;

William, that is exactly what is happening with COVID aye, blatant fear based propaganda designed to rid people of their ability to look at the bigger picture and motivations 😃 great share, thanks ❤️

and;

I am especially astounded by those who are the recipient of these tactics by the government, and then their mass projection of this onto anyone who does not swallow the emotive governnent narrative whole. Even the whole concept of 'misinformation' which has been a very new description for diverse beliefs and analysis of opposing information, which is the very heart of participatory democracy and non violence. Hitler would be twitching with excitement over our contemporary version of psychological warfare.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #9

Post by AgnosticBoy »

[Replying to William in post #8]

What the __ ?!

You're scratching your head, and I'm speechless.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:35 pm [Replying to William in post #8]

What the __ ?!

You're scratching your head, and I'm speechless.
I know, right!

I decided to reply the following;

I got my 2nd jab on 1st Sept even though I understood that my body might react badly and I might even die.
I did not do so because I wanted to help the economy or some Nazi agenda. I did so because it seemed the most ethical choice I could make under the circumstances.