Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Statue of Liberty needs a nose job

Post #1

Post by thomasdixon »

305’ tall STATUE OF LIBERTY
“Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free/The wretched refuse of your teeming shore/Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me/I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
"The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World" was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the United States and is recognized as a universal symbol of freedom and democracy. The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886. It was designated as a National Monument in 1924. Employees of the National Park Service have been caring for the colossal copper statue since 1933.

Civil was ended June 02, 1865

The Statue of Liberty
(Liberty Enlightening the World; French: La Liberté éclairant le monde) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York City, in the United States. The copper statue, was a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States, was designed by French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi and its metal framework was built by Gustave Eiffel. The statue was dedicated on October 28, 1886.

According to the National Park Service, the idea of a monument presented by the French people to the United States was first proposed by Édouard René de Laboulaye, president of the French Anti-Slavery Society and a prominent and important political thinker of his time. The project is traced to a mid-1865 conversation between Laboulaye, a staunch abolitionist, and Frédéric Bartholdi, a sculptor. In after-dinner conversation at his home near Versailles, Laboulaye, an ardent supporter of the Union in the American Civil War, is supposed to have said: "If a monument should rise in the United States, as a memorial to their independence, I should think it only natural if it were built by united effort—a common work of both our nations." The National Park Service, in a 2000 report, however, deemed this a legend traced to an 1885 fundraising pamphlet, and that the statue was most likely conceived in 1870. In another essay on their website, the Park Service suggested that Laboulaye was minded to honor the Union victory and its consequences, "With the abolition of slavery and the Union's victory in the Civil War in 1865, Laboulaye's wishes of freedom and democracy were turning into a reality in the United States. In order to honor these achievements, Laboulaye proposed that a gift be built for the United States on behalf of France. Laboulaye hoped that by calling attention to the recent achievements of the United States, the French people would be inspired to call for their own democracy in the face of a repressive monarchy."

Statue of Liberty needs to be cleaned, polished, bringing back the shine of our democracy.
The Statue of Liberty is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York City, in the United States. Wikipedia
A 1-min walk from the Statue of Liberty National Monument
Address:
New York, NY 10004
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 8:30AM Fri
Phone: (212) 363-3200
Artist: Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi
Height: 305′
Construction started: September 1875
Established: October 28, 1886
Opened: October 28, 1886
Media: Copper, Gold, Steel, Cast iron
A fund-raising effort is underway to refurbish the Statue of Liberty.
Send your donation to:
Restore liberty and justice
Liberty Island
New York , NY 10004

Here's how to clean the Statue of Liberty copper with an old standby: vinegar.
Mix 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup flour and enough vinegar to make a thick paste.
Use a soft cloth to rub the paste on the surface of the copper.
Buff the copper item until it shines.
Rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly.
How to Use Lemon Juice and Baking Soda
You can make another natural cleaner by mixing lemon juice (or vinegar) and baking soda into a sudsy mixture. Apply to the copper and buff with a soft cloth. Rinse with water and dry. These mixtures work because the acid in the vinegar or lemon juice strips the oxidized patina from the copper and the salt acts as a mild abrasive to remove the grime. You can also use lime juice instead of lemon.
Once done her original beauty will sparkle in the moonlight.

I-m donating to get liberty cleaned; how about you?
8-)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Statue of Liberty needs a nose job

Post #2

Post by Purple Knight »

One thing with cleaning copper is that it will quickly rust again unless sealed somehow, so I don't agree with cleaning it unless they're also going to seal it.

I do think the Statue of Liberty should be slimmed, to more closely represent the American ideal of beauty. Slimming her down to runway model proportions would also give people a positive message about willpower and success, which is strongly associated with the American Dream.

In other words, yes, this is what you should be. You can achieve it. Work at it.

Miles
Savant

Re: Statue of Liberty needs a nose job

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:48 pm One thing with cleaning copper is that it will quickly rust again unless sealed somehow, so I don't agree with cleaning it unless they're also going to seal it.

I do think the Statue of Liberty should be slimmed, to more closely represent the American ideal of beauty.
Ideal, Schmideal. She should be fattened up to more closely represent the true American condition: fat and health challenged.

.............................. Image