Our Queen's Christian Faith

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Our Queen's Christian Faith

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

I find our Queen Elizabeth ll to be a most inspiring figure of Christian faith and values.
Would anyone disagree that her faith is very real and that she lives it so well?

Every Christmas in her broadcast she includes the name of Jesus Christ openly and speaks of her faith powerfully simply.

This despite the other religions and the numbers of unbelievers in the UK. She stands up for Christ because this is first and foremost a Christian nation - though one may not think so at times. We are fortunate to have such a strong Christian as our head. For our beloved Queen accepts openly that Christ is her leader.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Our Queen's Christian Faith

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:06 am I find our Queen Elizabeth ll to be a most inspiring figure of Christian faith and values.
Would anyone disagree that her faith is very real and that she lives it so well?

Every Christmas in her broadcast she includes the name of Jesus Christ openly and speaks of her faith powerfully simply.

This despite the other religions and the numbers of unbelievers in the UK. She stands up for Christ because this is first and foremost a Christian nation - though one may not think so at times. We are fortunate to have such a strong Christian as our head. For our beloved Queen accepts openly that Christ is her leader.
Not living in the UK, I don't know all she does and or doesn't do. That said, I've found it's quite easy for politicians to 'wear' christianity in a way that suits their needs. That's not to say she 'is' or 'isn't' 'this' or 'that'. Though there have been stories about how she demands specifics from her family that promotes the family's influence more than any perceived christian 'thing'.
It's worth mentioning Putin called her out for literally being inhuman in a speech a few years back - alleging, if I remember right, she's a reptilian...? It's been a minute so I can't recall the specifics at this time.
Christian or not, she won't live forever. Brits should be more concerned with what her family does. Being divorced, having affairs and the like doesn't strike me as very 'christian'. But neither does molesting children but many priests are getting a pass (literally) on this so what do I know?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:06 am I find our Queen Elizabeth ll to be a most inspiring figure of Christian faith and values.

"First and foremost a Christan nation?" I'm not sure what that even means. The number of those who claim to be Christians in the UK is dropping year by year. One estimate I saw put the number at well below 50%. The Queen is simply holding on to a dying tradition.

As far as her faith being real and that she lives it well, who really knows. What does anyone outside the royal family really know about her. We see carefully orchestrated snippets of her occasionally. No solid conclusions can be made based on that.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:56 am

"First and foremost a Christan nation?" I'm not sure what that even means. The number of those who claim to be Christians in the UK is dropping year by year. One estimate I saw put the number at well below 50%. The Queen is simply holding on to a dying tradition.

As far as her faith being real and that she lives it well, who really knows. What does anyone outside the royal family really know about her. We see carefully orchestrated snippets of her occasionally. No solid conclusions can be made based on that.

Tcg
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -uk-census

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/20 ... ction.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11516 ... k-religion

And for the USA
https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... apid-pace/

https://theweek.com/donald-trump/100806 ... in-america

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/chu ... -time.aspx

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadell ... c587e4b3ce

Unfortunately, so long as they are sheepish people who are needy, christianity will never go away.

To the post, it makes me wonder if this was an attempt to glamorize Queeny McQueen more than anything else... :confused2:

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:06 am
This despite the other religions and the numbers of unbelievers in the UK. She stands up for Christ because this is first and foremost a Christian nation
Not according to polls and statistics:

though one may not think so at times.

And with good reason.

"In 2007, Tearfund published the following results of their comprehensive review of British Christian religion in 2006:

10% of the UK adult population go to church at least weekly.
15% attend church at least monthly.
26% attend church at least yearly.
59% never or practically never go to church."
source

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1.6.1. The Financial Situation of a Doomed Church

“Between 1990 and 2001, the Church [of England] lost 18% of its Sunday communicants, 17% of its clergy (none of them bishops) and 1% of its buildings. The Church Commissioners' gradually shrinking endowment of £3.5 billion, is about half the value of, say, Yale University's investments. [...] Last year, 70% of gross endowment income went on paying pensions alone. [...] Donations per head have increased steeply in recent years, in part because the disappearance of working-class believers has left congregations older and wealthier”

The Economist (2003)
source

-------------------------------------------------------------

1.7.2. Percent of Anglican Baptisms of Newborns (1885-2010)

Year Percent
1885 62.3
1895 64.1
1900 65.0
1910 68.9
1930 (peak) 69.9
1950 67.2
1960 55.4
1970 46.6
1990 27.5
2010 12.1
source

Looks like Christianity in the UK is on a pretty good slide down hill.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Difflugia »

Tcg wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:56 am"First and foremost a Christan nation?" I'm not sure what that even means.
I don't know what the OP means, but as opposed to the United States, the official religions of Great Britain and Scotland are the Churches of England and Scotland respectively. The UK monarch is the head of both Churches, equivalent to the position that the Pope holds in Roman Catholicism. The Archbishop of Canterbury is the highest ranked member of UK society behind the Queen's grandsons.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Rose2020 »

Well, our entire UK legal, health and education systems are built upon strong Christian values. Set up by Christians. I am certainly proud of it and grateful. It is a Christian country. We have deeply excellent Christian Queen who has always put duty first.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:17 am Well, our entire UK legal, health and education systems are built upon strong Christian values. Set up by Christians. I am certainly proud of it and grateful. It is a Christian country. We have deeply excellent Christian Queen who has always put duty first.
Shouldn't a good christian put god first, before duty?

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:17 am Well, our entire UK legal, health and education systems are built upon strong Christian values.
Whenever I read or hear statements like this, I hope that those "Christian values" aren't actually based on what the Bible teaches in some areas. Stoning of adulterers or men who engage in gay sex. Abandoning family to follow Jesus. Praying rather than administering medical aid. Stoning witches and wizards. Owning slaves as inheritable property. Teaching six-day creationism. Snake handling. Stoning women determined not to be virgins on their wedding night. Really, all that stoning. Etc... etc... etc...

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Rose2020 »

Well, the Bible must be read in the right spirit, in fact it is essential to pray to the Holy Spirit for understanding. We cannot do it ourselves.
Our God and His Son Jesus Christ stand for love and righteous justice. That is what the Bible, being the directly given word of God, means to me.
Without that, life loses all meaning and purpose.