Weird experiences

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Weird experiences

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

For a long, long time I've experience a myriad of 'weird' phenomena. Ranging from noises and shadows, to dreams, to physical manifestations (including, but not limited to, flying craft, prints), pets 'seeing' things no one else does, seemed possession and precognition. Some of these things could very well be location orientated, though others seem to be more 'personal'. That said, there's much more I want to experience (hopefully this summer :approve: )

For discussion:
What, if anything, have you experienced that you would classify as weird, Freudian, frightening, life changing, etc... that you'd care to share 'with the group'?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Weird experiences

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:03 pmWhat, if anything, have you experienced that you would classify as weird, Freudian, frightening, life changing, etc... that you'd care to share 'with the group'?
I occasionally get out of bed while still in a dream state. This normally just involves me fully waking up a few seconds later with a moment of confusion that it takes me to reconcile the fading dream with being awake. I used to travel a lot with work, though, and having that happen in a strange place like a hotel is more disorienting. One in particular that I remember was me following a blue glow into the bathroom that I was sure was aliens. I fully woke up when I saw myself in the mirror, but I could still remember the dream state in which I was absolutely positive the light was supernatural, but it actually came from the charger from a cordless hair dryer.

Another sort of sensory thing is that when I was younger and a Christian, I used to experience a kind of tingling euphoria when I would study the Bible and pray. I thought then that it was the Holy Spirit. After I was no longer a Christian, I could still cause it to happen by putting myself in the right state of mind, but never knew what it was. A few years ago, I learned that listening through headphones to some stranger on YouTube scratching a microphone does exactly the same thing to me.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:36 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:03 pmWhat, if anything, have you experienced that you would classify as weird, Freudian, frightening, life changing, etc... that you'd care to share 'with the group'?
I occasionally get out of bed while still in a dream state. This normally just involves me fully waking up a few seconds later with a moment of confusion that it takes me to reconcile the fading dream with being awake. I used to travel a lot with work, though, and having that happen in a strange place like a hotel is more disorienting. One in particular that I remember was me following a blue glow into the bathroom that I was sure was aliens. I fully woke up when I saw myself in the mirror, but I could still remember the dream state in which I was absolutely positive the light was supernatural, but it actually came from the charger from a cordless hair dryer.

Another sort of sensory thing is that when I was younger and a Christian, I used to experience a kind of tingling euphoria when I would study the Bible and pray. I thought then that it was the Holy Spirit. After I was no longer a Christian, I could still cause it to happen by putting myself in the right state of mind, but never knew what it was. A few years ago, I learned that listening through headphones to some stranger on YouTube scratching a microphone does exactly the same thing to me.
Thanks for sharing. I, too, have had a few similar instances to what you describe when you wake up. I used to sleep walk a lot when I was younger - I wonder if these two things are related?

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

When I was in my early twenties, about 40 years ago, I was admitted to the hospital for a hernia repair. The night before surgery, I remember waking up in the hospital because of a frightening impression that an evil entity had entered the room and was at the foot of my bed. I didn't see anything or hear anything to cause this impression, but it was deeply frightening. After just a few seconds, I sensed that it moved towards the door and then out of the room. I then experienced a deep state of relief and peacefulness.

As I thought about it later, I concluded that it must have been a demon whose host human had died and was in search of its next host. It must have skipped me because it sensed I was a Christian. I don't believe any of that to be the case now, but I have no idea what caused that impression and series of thoughts. Oh, and it was not the result of medication because I hadn't taken any at that point. I've had other odd experiences, one involving the "Jersey Devil", but most I've been able to analyze and understand. This one remains a mystery.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Tcg in post #4]

Hospitals have all kinds of similar stories.
I'm dying to hear about the Jersey Devil, if you'd care to share. :approve:

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:28 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #4]

Hospitals have all kinds of similar stories.
I'm dying to hear about the Jersey Devil, if you'd care to share. :approve:
I began exploring the Pine Barrens of New Jersey in my late teens. When I experienced a short spell of homelessness in my mid-twenties I took to living in the Pines. Usually, I'd set up my tent in one of the official state camp sites. One night however, returning late after attending a "Piney" music festival, I simply threw my cot out in an open field deep in the woods and slept there. I awoke to the sound of pine trees scraping and swaying. This was easily explained by a strong wind that was pushing the trees. However, on the other side of the field I saw a tree being pushed in the opposite direction of the wind. Not only that, but I saw something with horns pushing it. I thought I was seeing the Jersey Devil.

This may not sound like much of a big deal, but when you are alone deep in the woods sleeping without a tent for cover, it's very frightening. There have been events where hunters who get lost in the Pines panic and begin running blindly through the woods and sadly die of heart-attacks. Obviously, that didn't happen to me.

So, what is the explanation? Most people don't like it. I think the legend of the Jersey Devil is the result primarily of fear and its effects on the human brain. What is the explanation of my experience? As I thought about it later in the safety of my tent and in broad daylight, I realized that it was rutting season and the beast I saw was a white-tailed Buck. It's not near as fun as seeing the Jersey Devil himself and spoils the fun of the legend, but I think it is accurate.

By the way, years later I worked with a woman who was related to the family the Devil was supposedly born into. It was said that his mother who had 12 children stated that if she ever has another, she hopes it is the Devil himself. She did have that 13th child and it supposedly was a Devil who flew away into the woods shortly after its birth. This was the explanation for why the neighbors never saw the child. The truth was as my co-worker explained, the child had severe health issues and was bed ridden his whole life. The neighbors never saw him because he never left the house.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Tcg in post #6]
This may not sound like much of a big deal, but when you are alone deep in the woods sleeping without a tent for cover, it's very frightening
IMO, the only ones that would think this is not a big deal are those that have never been in the woods in the dark!!
I realized that it was rutting season and the beast I saw was a white-tailed Buck. It's not near as fun as seeing the Jersey Devil himself and spoils the fun of the legend, but I think it is accurate.
As someone who follows cryptozoology immensely, I believe most of these sightings of such things can be explained as you did here. The eyes are notoriously bad for ID'ing things when adrenaline is flowing!
By the way, years later I worked with a woman who was related to the family the Devil was supposedly born into. It was said that his mother who had 12 children stated that if she ever has another, she hopes it is the Devil himself. She did have that 13th child and it supposedly was a Devil who flew away into the woods shortly after its birth. This was the explanation for why the neighbors never saw the child. The truth was as my co-worker explained, the child had severe health issues and was bed ridden his whole life. The neighbors never saw him because he never left the house.
I'm not as familiar with the JD as other reported cryptids, but the ending/explanation of the story is one I've not heard before! Thanks for sharing!

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #7]

Another fact in this particular case is that during the time this legend was developing, black bears, wolves, and cougars lived in the Pines. In my opinion, this fact explains the killing of livestock that was sometimes attributed to the Jersey Devil.

This reminds me of a story I read about the old days when "Pineys" would pick blueberries by hand. It wasn't uncommon for a picker amongst a group of pickers to look over and realize that their picking companion was a bear.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:54 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #7]

Another fact in this particular case is that during the time this legend was developing, black bears, wolves, and cougars lived in the Pines. In my opinion, this fact explains the killing of livestock that was sometimes attributed to the Jersey Devil.

This reminds me of a story I read about the old days when "Pineys" would pick blueberries by hand. It wasn't uncommon for a picker amongst a group of pickers to look over and realize that their picking companion was a bear.

Tcg
Agreed. Simply because animals are preyed upon doesn't mean 'monster'.
This is very true today when predators are making a big return to areas recently vacated. I recently saw a story where a tagged cougar from Montana (I think it was) was seen in the NE! In my area, even raptors that were once rare are coming back. It's good to see - just gotta' keep the coyotes away from my dog!

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:03 pm
Agreed. Simply because animals are preyed upon doesn't mean 'monster'.
This is very true today when predators are making a big return to areas recently vacated. I recently saw a story where a tagged cougar from Montana (I think it was) was seen in the NE! In my area, even raptors that were once rare are coming back. It's good to see - just gotta' keep the coyotes away from my dog!
Yep, and coyotes are no joke especially in the East. In Texas where I grew up, they were fairly small animals. In the East they have interbred with Wolves and are now quite formidable. Much larger than most German Shepards for example. Of course, even the smaller Western coyotes in a pack are a threat.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom