A question for all Christians..

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Corvus
Guru

A question for all Christians..

Post #1

Post by Corvus »

For the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those that find it.

Taking this into consideration...
For the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those that find it.
The words of the Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 7:14).

...do you believe you will attain heaven?

"Strive to enter in by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able"

There are roughly 2 billion Christians in the world. If the above two quotes are true, a lot of people will be disappointed. Why do you feel this is?
Last edited by Corvus on Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

otseng
Savant

Re: A question for all Christions..

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Corvus wrote: There are roughly 2 billion Christians in the world. If the above two quotes are true, a lot of people will be disappointed. Why do you feel this is?
There might be 2 billion people who claim to be Christians, but that doesn't mean they are Christians.

It's estimated that 85% of the people here in the US claim to be Christians. Anyone can claim to be anything they want. I can claim to be a member of the Green Berets, but that doesn't make me one. I might even own an Army fatigue and put it on and run around in my backyard shooting birds with my BB gun. But I would only be deluding myself if I thought I was actually a Green Beret.

And, yes, I do think a lot of people will be disappointed on the day of judgement.

Mat 7:21-23 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Crixus
Student

Post #3

Post by Crixus »

I agree with otseng that many people say they believe, but may not. I don't really believe in sectarian damnation so I wont go so far as to say that one denomination is right and all the others are wrong, but I know some sects do teach that. Specifically Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox the two largest sects that together I think make up about 75% of the Christian population.

As for whether or not I feel I will reach heaven well, Christ said, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." - Mark 16:16, and unless there is something in that statement which eludes me I think I meet the requirements.

scorpia
Sage

Considering.............

Post #4

Post by scorpia »

There are roughly 2 billion Christians in the world. If the above two quotes are true, a lot of people will be disappointed. Why do you feel this is?
Yes. But is it because I myself would be rejected? If I do go to hell, it's obviously because I deserve it.
Maybe I should be more upset because there are a lot of other people that are just as good or better than me who might also get rejected. What about them?

Icarus
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Icarus »

Yes, I believe I will enter through that small gate. I already live in a minority here on earth.

I don't recall anything in that text quoted that it is only referenced for Christians. I think the reference is for the whole world. I think also that when that time comes and those people who are trying to enter the gate don't get in, they won't get in also because that is where they will try to use the excuse "you didn't give me enough evidence...". another good example of this is the ten virgins and the arriving groom. It'll be a "you should have thought a little more about the possibilities before it was too late" type of thing.
What I believe in my heart must make sense in my mind. –Ravi Zacharias

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #6

Post by ENIGMA »

Icarus wrote:Yes, I believe I will enter through that small gate. I already live in a minority here on earth.
We all do, buddy.
I don't recall anything in that text quoted that it is only referenced for Christians. I think the reference is for the whole world. I think also that when that time comes and those people who are trying to enter the gate don't get in, they won't get in also because that is where they will try to use the excuse "you didn't give me enough evidence...". another good example of this is the ten virgins and the arriving groom. It'll be a "you should have thought a little more about the possibilities before it was too late" type of thing.
So I take it then that there will be no complaints from you if it turns out that the Muslims were right? Or if you happen to reincarnate into a single-cellular life form?

Icarus
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Icarus »

If the Muslims are right, then I'm still in the door.

And if I reincarnate, what exactly would I complain too?

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #8

Post by ENIGMA »

Icarus wrote:If the Muslims are right, then I'm still in the door.
?

Attempting to cover your bases, are we?
And if I reincarnate, what exactly would I complain too?
I was thinking more of a (bacterial equivalent of) kicking oneself for choosing wrong.

To make a better example:

What if all the major religions are wrong, and it turns out that the only people who will get into heaven are those who believe that they are going to cease to exist after their death here?

Icarus
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Icarus »

8)

No not covering the bases, LOL, I just knew that Muslims accepted Jesus as A prophet just not THE prophet. As well as accept most of the old testament. ... I knew the question had certain knowledge flaws. :D

We could "what if" till the cows come home.

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #10

Post by ENIGMA »

Icarus wrote: We could "what if" till the cows come home.
Aww, but I thought you were interested in, what was it, thinking "a little more about the possibilities before it was too late"?

Or was that something just for those who do not share your particular set of beliefs to concern themselves with?