Favorite snacks?

Discuss physical fitness and healthy living / eating

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Favorite snacks?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Do you have any favorite healthy snacks?

My preference is fresh vegetables in vinegar. This time of year the garden is producing well and I prefer most vegetables uncooked (excluding potatoes, corn and squash) so any not eaten immediately I "slice and dice" and put them in quart jars of vinegar and refrigerate. Cauliflower is one of the best. Off season after my supply runs out I do the same with vegetables from the grocery produce section.

When the supply is really large (and I am motivated) I also pressure can, dehydrate or freeze foods (vegetables, fruit, and meat).

All the above make great healthy snacks.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

Another snack:

Do you ever crave such things as chocolate covered raisins or Reese's Peanut butter cups?

Try this: Pour a few chocolate chips into your hand, add an equal amount of raisins and a big spoonful of peanut butter. THEN, go wash your hands. Don't eat that stuff.

Just kidding. Just kidding. Those things in moderation are probably not hurting your health or contributing significantly to weight control problems. If a bag of chocolate chips lasts a couple weeks, raisins go stale before you finish the box and a small jar of peanut butter lasts a month, you need not even feel guilty.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Goose
Guru

Re: Favorite snacks?

Post #3

Post by Goose »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]
  • Any kind of fresh fruit.
    Home made Hummus and veggies.
    Whey protein shake.
    Protein bars (the healthy kind).
    A handful of almonds.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 3 by Goose]
All great ideas -- that sure beat donuts, chips, cookies and candy.

I just came in from the garden carrying a basket with a cantaloupe, three ears of corn, several tomatoes and cucumbers, and a few green beans.

Most of those make great snacks.

In the fall I will probably make beef or venison jerky.

Saturday I attended a "camp out and socialize" gathering -- and took a cooler with tomatoes, cantaloupe, dehydrated bananas, and a gallon of grape juice (unfermented). However, "just to be sociable" I also ate a hamburger and hot dog with potato chips. (Occasional "straying" doesn't hurt).
Non-Theist

fncbear
Student

Post #5

Post by fncbear »

My favourite is the wasabi ranch ones, too delicious!