Tobacco

Discuss physical fitness and healthy living / eating

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Tobacco

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

About three weeks ago I decided to stop smoking my pipe. This is not the first time I've done that -- once for 25 years, another time for 5 years and another for 1 or 2 years. Note: I started smoking the pipe when I was about fifteen -- sixty years ago -- so about half my life I have puffed contentedly (very professorial, you know).

The reasons I stopped are 1) the ladies at the VA hound me a bit, and 2) it started making me cough (mostly the latter).

As a side-effect, my weight went up -- from 180 to 185. So, now I have to get rid of the excess (which is generally no problem for me -- just cut down on food intake). I don't eat junk food anyway so that is not an issue, but even too much healthy food will cause one to "wear it."

I'll post when I get back to 180 (which provides a bit of incentive).

Z
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

Well my weight hasn't changed much but breathing and endurance sure have. My test of those is a bicycle. I ride fifteen miles out-and-back on a new bypass highway often enough to be very aware of changes in performance.

Today the five mile mark came up so soon and so easily that I was surprised. And I have plenty of energy left to go to the fitness center soon. Maybe a weigh-in there will show some desired results.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

Good on ya Z. I'm also trying to improve my eating habits at the moment. cutting down on eating things like chocolate biscuits and cheese for snacks. Normally at work, if I buy my lunch, I buy some kind of cake or slice to go with it. I heard that if you eat a banana, it takes away the craving for things like chocolate, so I thought I'd give it a go and have been buying a banana instead of a slice. I couldn't believe it. It actually works!

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

scourge99
Guru

Re: Tobacco

Post #4

Post by scourge99 »

Zzyzx wrote: .
About three weeks ago I decided to stop smoking my pipe. This is not the first time I've done that -- once for 25 years, another time for 5 years and another for 1 or 2 years. Note: I started smoking the pipe when I was about fifteen -- sixty years ago -- so about half my life I have puffed contentedly (very professorial, you know).

The reasons I stopped are 1) the ladies at the VA hound me a bit, and 2) it started making me cough (mostly the latter).

As a side-effect, my weight went up -- from 180 to 185. So, now I have to get rid of the excess (which is generally no problem for me -- just cut down on food intake). I don't eat junk food anyway so that is not an issue, but even too much healthy food will cause one to "wear it."

I'll post when I get back to 180 (which provides a bit of incentive).

Z
Congrats on quitting smoking. You probably extended your life span.

"The fact that tobacco is hazardous to health should not be news to anyone. But smokers might be surprised to learn just how long the list of hazards is. Smoking harms nearly every organ in the body. It is estimated to cause 87% of lung cancer deaths, 32% of coronary heart disease deaths, 79% of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and â…“ of all cancer deaths"

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/smo ... -care-act/
Religion remains the only mode of discourse that encourages grown men and women to pretend to know things they manifestly do not know.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

Good on ya Z!

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Overcomer
Guru

Post #6

Post by Overcomer »

I'm so glad to read this, Zzyxz. Smoking is one of the world's worst scourges and I know it's a tough habit to break.

May you never pick up tobacco in any form ever again and enjoy a longer, more healthy life because of it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

Way to go.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

Zzyzx wrote: ...

Today the five mile mark came up so soon and so easily that I was surprised. And I have plenty of energy left to go to the fitness center soon. Maybe a weigh-in there will show some desired results.
Congratulations...tobacco is a tough one!
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Sammaiel

Post #9

Post by Sammaiel »

Keep the good work.

Nithya

Post #10

Post by Nithya »

Smoking causes cancer especially lung cancer. The particles in the cigarettes act as carcinogenic agents that lead to cancer. smoking can cause other life breaking diseases also. one should not practice smoking or if practiced should learn to quit.