Discuss physical fitness and healthy living / eating

Moderator: Moderators

MadeNew
Banned
Banned

Triathlon

Post #1

Post by MadeNew »

Just finished my first Olympic Triathlon. Felt great. Although i got a flat at 5 miles into the bike part, and it got really hot during the running part, and my performance food tasted so bad but was good at giving me energy and stuff.

Totally worth it. Probably not a really competitive time, i think i completed it in a little less then 4 hours, but felt awesome just completing it.

Does anyone else run or training for races?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

Congratulations.

For anyone unaware of the specifics, Olympic Triathlon distances are:
swim 0.93mi (1.5km)
bicycle 24.8mi (40km)
run 6.2mi (10km)

I have not done a triathlon of any kind -- but have (at different times) run half-marathon distance, done open water (and pool) distance swimming, and have a LOT of long-distance bicycling experience. None of that was done competitively -- never entered formal events.

Now, pushing 80, the VA orthopedics people tell me that if I want to keep the joints functional for another twenty years it is best to avoid much distance running or endurance walking / hiking. Bicycling is okay (being easy on the hip joints in particular) -- as long as one doesn't get hit by a car (which happened to me).

Swimming is encouraged but the local university closed its pool and there isn't another available for 50 miles or so -- though a nearby city has a facility under construction.

I certainly respect anyone's ability to complete a triathlon. Kudos
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

MadeNew
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by MadeNew »

Thanks, next step is to plan on running a Marathon, which i think is doable. Maybe set the goal for within a year. We will see.