Prayers for my child

Discuss physical fitness and healthy living / eating

Moderator: Moderators

CindSein

Prayers for my child

Post #1

Post by CindSein »

Hi all,
I'm in need of your help. Our house is located in a remote area. It is a calm and serene place with lots of lovely birds. We wake up with the chirping of the birds. We used to spend a lot of time in our front yard. At nights we can see the bats flying .....We never bothered about it. But last day, my child got scared when he saw the bat thinking it for a ghost. The only way to get rid of this is hiring a wildlife relocation service. Now he is very frightened to move out of the house at night. He is saying that there is a ghost. Although I tried to convince him it has gone on deaf ears. So guys.....please do help me in bringing my child back to normal. How can I convince him that it was just a bat???
Please remember my child in your prayers

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Prayers for my child

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Well if you don't want your child to believe in ghosts the last thing you want to do is ask people to pray to an invisible ghost to cure him.

The best solution to the problem is to educate your child about bats. Also if you have bats in your area you are very lucky. You don't want to have them chased off or relocated.

The best cure is education. Have your child build a bat house and learn about bats.

Bats eat lots of mosquitoes so they are great to have around.

[youtube][/youtube]
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by CindSein]

Prayer will not help your child. Science will. How old is the child?

I love bats because mosquitoes LOVE to bite me. Pesticides can be harmful to mosquitoes’ predators as well as mosquitoes. According to Bat Conservation International, one little brown bat can eat 60 medium-sized moths or over 1000 mosquito-sized insects in one night!

Build a bat house:

http://www.nwf.org/Garden-For-Wildlife/ ... House.aspx
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #4

Post by JP Cusick »

CindSein wrote: Hi all,
I'm in need of your help. Our house is located in a remote area. It is a calm and serene place with lots of lovely birds. We wake up with the chirping of the birds. We used to spend a lot of time in our front yard. At nights we can see the bats flying .....We never bothered about it. But last day, my child got scared when he saw the bat thinking it for a ghost. The only way to get rid of this is hiring a wildlife relocation service. Now he is very frightened to move out of the house at night. He is saying that there is a ghost. Although I tried to convince him it has gone on deaf ears. So guys.....please do help me in bringing my child back to normal. How can I convince him that it was just a bat???
Please remember my child in your prayers
I agree with others that it would not be wise to try to get rid of the bats.

You could introduce your child to the story of Batman, because as a child Bruce Wayne was frightened by bats and so as an adult he used the symbol of a bat against the criminals as him being the Batman.

Try this movie = "Batman Begins" (2005)

As to the Ghost then what I did with my young son (3 or 4 years old) is that his uncle made him afraid of Ghost in his room, and so (after uncle was gone) I told my boy that he was stronger then any Ghost, and told him that if he saw any Ghost to just punch them in their nose and I told him that he could defeat any Ghost. I walked him over to the window to look out and showed him under the bed and showed him how to make a fist. He never complained of Ghost ever again, and it increased his self esteem as he could then guard his own room.

It might even help to catch one of the bats alive in a non-lethal trap, and let your child help in setting the trap because even if you do not catch a bat then the child will still internalize the process of the trap, which is for a wild animal and not for a Ghost.

You could even teach the child to spot the huge Constellation of Orion, and to see the Big Dipper and the North Star, and turn the darkest nights into the best of adventures.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #5

Post by paarsurrey1 »

I will pray for your child to come out of this psychological syndrome. Tell the child that ghosts don't exist and therefore they cannot harm anybody. Please show his some YouTube documentary on bats. I find some interesting videos on them.
Regards

Kevin Cross
Student

Post #6

Post by Kevin Cross »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

Now really, Divine Insight, if prayer is part of that member's belief system, it is not appropriate to tell someone
the last thing you want to do is ask people to pray to an invisible ghost to cure him.
It is insensitive. If Athiests like you demand people of faith acknowledge there is a possibility that there is no God, in intellectual fairness you have to acknowledge equally there might be a God.

Education about bats is important, but it has to be on his developmental level. I'll try to write personally to see if I can point you in the proper direction. I will pray for your child.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

Kevin Cross wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

Now really, Divine Insight, if prayer is part of that member's belief system, it is not appropriate to tell someone
the last thing you want to do is ask people to pray to an invisible ghost to cure him.
It is insensitive. If Athiests like you demand people of faith acknowledge there is a possibility that there is no God, in intellectual fairness you have to acknowledge equally there might be a God.

Education about bats is important, but it has to be on his developmental level. I'll try to write personally to see if I can point you in the proper direction. I will pray for your child.
Excuse me, but the author of the thread specifically said:
Now he is very frightened to move out of the house at night. He is saying that there is a ghost.
Well, how can a religious person who tells their Child that evil demons are real, especially including a major evil demon called Satan, consider it to be insensitive when a non-theists suggests that perhaps the child wouldn't be afraid of ghosts if they hadn't been taught that such things exist in the first place?

Why is that insensitive? :-k

Do religious people believe in ghosts or not? If not, then what sense do angels and demons make?

It seems to me that religious people need to take some responsibility for a child they have basically taught to believe in "ghosts", or invisible spiritual entities such as angels and demons.

How can a religious person claim to not believe in "ghosts"? That makes no sense.

Why accuse me of being insensitive when the entire basis of religious belief is grounded on a belief in "ghosts", angels, demons, and who knows what else?

Isn't Christianity itself founded on the claim that evil demons can possess people and it requires someone like Jesus to "cast them out"?

Why accuse me of being insensitive when this is the entire basis of Christianity? :-k

For a Christian to claim to not believe in ghosts would be an oxymoron.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #8

Post by paarsurrey1 »

[Replying to post 7 by Divine Insight]
Do religious people believe in ghosts or not? If not, then what sense do angels and demons make?
The Truthful religion has no teachings to believe in"ghosts" or to believe in myths or to have superstitious beliefs/no-beliefs.
Fors instance we don't believe in Atheism as it is just superstitious to believe in notions that are neither supported by "Religion" nor by science. Right, please?

Regards

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

Though Pednurse could probably provide a more detailed explanation, it is my understanding that, in traumatic situations, it is not best to challenge the individuals perceptions. This could result in the person internalizing their views and feelings, rather than communicating them. What the person wants is reassurance, not lectures. The first thing is to stay calm and not overreact to the person's trauma. If one allows the persons fears to destabilize the environment, that creates more uncertainty and greater fear. Second, let them know, that regardless of what it is, you are there for them and will help them to deal with it. Third, let the person play out the scenarios, i.e. start to engage the thinking part of the brain rather than the emotive part. The biggest part of fear is the unknown. Usually, an undefined outcome is more frightening than a defined one. Once the person has listed the imagined possibilities, then one can help the person work on strategies to deal with them one by one. If one believes that one's thoughts and feelings are being taken seriously, those without merit often fade away, and those with merit result in positive solutions.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

paarsurrey1 wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Divine Insight]
The Truthful religion has no teachings to believe in"ghosts"
You don't see angels and demons as being something similar? In fact don't many Christians believe that ghostly visitations are generally demon visitations? Don't many Christians even call the Holy Spirit the Holy Ghost?

To many of us, demons and angels are only one step away from ghosts. They are very similar in the way they supposedly behave.
paarsurrey1 wrote: Fors instance we don't believe in Atheism as it is just superstitious to believe in notions that are neither supported by "Religion" nor by science. Right, please?
What are you saying here? I personally are not getting your point.

Atheism is not something you believe or don't believe in. It's just a position someone takes, ie not believing in gods. It says nothing about ones belief in angels, demons or ghosts. Saying you don't believe in atheism is like saying you don't believe in vegetarianism or Nazism or any other ism. They exist. People take those stances.

I take Divine Insight's stance here too. Praying for this kid is not going to achieve anything. What is needed is some kind of action and I like many of the suggestions made by members here on this thread. They are offering practical advice that can be used.

I see that Kevin Cross accuses DI of being insensitive and inappropriate, but I say good on DI. He may be blunt and he may be undiplomatic, but some people need this. Too many people use prayer as a solution and then wonder why they get nowhere (as I did for many years). What's needed is some practical action and education is a powerful tool.

I'm seeing a classic example on Facebook at the moment where a Christian guy who runs an orphanage in Uganda is having kidney problems and urgently in need of an operation. Without him, the kids in the orphanage are going to be in major trouble as he is the one who organises their care and raises funds to have them educated, clothed and fed. He is desperate for financial aid. What are the Christians doing? Praying. Nothing more. What are the atheist doing? Sending money. Who are the ones actually helping? The ones praying or the ones sending money?

And no, before someone claims that God is answering the Christians prayers by having the atheists do the work, the atheists are not having their arms twisted by god. They're not having their freewill violated. They are sending the money because they are compassionate people. They care and desire to see the guy continue his good work. They also are well aware that if all the Christians are going to do is sit around praying, the guy is not going to get any help, he will die and the orphans will be back out on the streets again.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World