Question about use of term homosexual

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, and asexual discussion
rikuoamero
Under Probation

Question about use of term homosexual

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

Don't say: homosexual

Why? This clinical term from the early 20th century suggests that being lesbian or gay is all about sex and is somehow disordered. Furthermore, the term has been co-opted by the religious right, who use it as a weapon against gay and lesbian people.

Instead, use: lesbian (for people who identify as women) or gay (for people who identify as men)
I have to say that when I was growing up, it was the other way around for me. The word gay was considered a pejorative, where homosexual was the politically correct term to use.

So I'm questioning your demand that only certain words be used. What if a member of this group wants to use the word homosexual?
Don't say: sexual preference

Why? This terminology implies that being non-heterosexual is a choice.

Instead, use: sexual orientation
Again, I notice that here, something is being treated as an axiom, as something that cannot be denied. (Just so you know, I accept that sexuality isn't really a choice). I do have to say that this is dangerous, since it squelches any discussion of alternatives. What if one day, there's very strong evidence that sexuality IS a choice? Will you allow it to be called such then?
So you know, I am not suggesting that we 'balance' things here (e.g. every non-choice post must be paired with a choice post).
I can probably understand your reasoning here - most such promotion of choice-sexuality is driven by religious bigotry and you don't want to allow that here. Fine. Then say that. Say that unproven bigoted responses that claim sexuality is a choice, backed up only by religious doctrine and no actual evidence, are unwelcome here. Don't just flat out ban it.

Another reason why I felt like posting this was because I am very uncomfortable when groups or people say I HAVE to use certain words, or there's a problem. It's to do with words being constantly declared non-PC, and new words and terms being introduced to replace them, only to have those words also being declared non-PC and so on and so on.
I never would have expected the word homosexual to be banned, but then again, I should have.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Question about use of term homosexual

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

Difflugia wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:52 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:12 amNo need to try to force terms/definitions on to other simply for your own benefit.
That's why they're asking for the privilege of defining themselves rather than having someone else's terms forced upon them. It's impolite and demeaning to insist that someone else be defined according to your expectations.
Clarification please:
Who is 'they' being used here?
And how are 'they' doing this?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Difflugia »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:16 amClarification please:
Those that wish their sexual orientation to be defined as lesbian (for people who identify as women) or gay (for people who identify as men).
nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:16 amAnd how are 'they' doing this?
I assume by asking. I looked throught the thread and didn't see any other "how" offered.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

Difflugia wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:16 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:16 amClarification please:
Those that wish their sexual orientation to be defined as lesbian (for people who identify as women) or gay (for people who identify as men).
nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:16 amAnd how are 'they' doing this?
I assume by asking. I looked throught the thread and didn't see any other "how" offered.
Many people can't be happy with the original terminology and definitions. But technically, a gay woman is a lesbian and a gay guy is gay. The term homosexual is more encompassing.
People like to feel special and different, gay straight tall short young old believer non-believer etc. And yes it can be annoying, but when one group of people are belittled just for what they're 'called' and after years of being told to 'celebrate our differences', we can't be too surprised that people want to feel special and different from the group.

Haven
Guru

Post #14

Post by Haven »

I was the OP and just wanted to say—my position has changed a lot from six years ago. I no longer think homosexual is always offensive, although it certainly can be used that way by religionists.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

Haven wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:07 pm I was the OP and just wanted to say—my position has changed a lot from six years ago. I no longer think homosexual is always offensive, although it certainly can be used that way by religionists.
What caused you to make this change in POV? Was it something specific or simply maturing your world view...?