More and more letters

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, and asexual discussion
Ancient of Years
Guru

More and more letters

Post #1

Post by Ancient of Years »

The alphabet keeps growing and that is a good thing. It simply reflects that while we are all different we are also somehow the same. For example I can be a straight male and not worry about what anyone else might be. Different strokes for different folks.

[youtube][/youtube]
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Menotu
Sage

Re: More and more letters

Post #2

Post by Menotu »

Ancient of Years wrote: The alphabet keeps growing and that is a good thing. It simply reflects that while we are all different we are also somehow the same. For example I can be a straight male and not worry about what anyone else might be. Different strokes for different folks.

[youtube][/youtube]
I don't think 'more letters' is a good thing at all. To me, the more 'letters' people want to use for themselves, the more it divides humanity.
It also, IMO, feeds the need for individuality on a social level (needing others' approval) instead of being content with who each person is.

We are all, pretty much, different. But we're still humans (well most of us anyway). What should matter most is not the letters we prescribe ourselves, but how we treat ourselves.

help3434
Guru

Post #3

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to Ancient of Years in post #1]

The youtuber Mr Atheist uses the term GRSM which stands Gender, Romantic, and Sexual Minorities. This seems like a good idea because it is more inclusive while avoiding the problem of the ever increasing number of letters which so many find confusing and is a target for much derision.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

help3434 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:37 pm [Replying to Ancient of Years in post #1]

The youtuber Mr Atheist uses the term GRSM which stands Gender, Romantic, and Sexual Minorities. This seems like a good idea because it is more inclusive while avoiding the problem of the ever increasing number of letters which so many find confusing and is a target for much derision.
GRSM might be too close to the automotive high performance lines (GSR, GRM, etc).
Better yet, let's just refer to people as people. That would be infinitely easier I'd think
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Haven
Guru

Post #5

Post by Haven »

I’m a nonbinary femme, and the new letters in the acronym represent me (where the original four do not). The growing letters may annoy conservatives and non-LGBT people, but they make people like me feel represented.

By the way, I think it’s fab that this sub forum is still going in 2021! I started it six years ago as a safe place for LGBTQIA people on a forum where the prevailing belief is that we are sinful, and didn’t expect it to get any traction. I just returned to DC&R after a long absence and this has brought a smile to my face.
Last edited by Haven on Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Haven
Guru

Post #6

Post by Haven »

Menotu wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 pm
Ancient of Years wrote: The alphabet keeps growing and that is a good thing. It simply reflects that while we are all different we are also somehow the same. For example I can be a straight male and not worry about what anyone else might be. Different strokes for different folks.

[youtube][/youtube]
I don't think 'more letters' is a good thing at all. To me, the more 'letters' people want to use for themselves, the more it divides humanity.
It also, IMO, feeds the need for individuality on a social level (needing others' approval) instead of being content with who each person is.

We are all, pretty much, different. But we're still humans (well most of us anyway). What should matter most is not the letters we prescribe ourselves, but how we treat ourselves.
I feel like this is a valid criticism, that is, it can take away individuality and introduce division. To use myself as an example—before I am nonbinary, femme, or asexual, I’m Haven, an individual. This individuality takes primacy over any other identity I might hold. Eliminating the letters emphasizes the individuality and humanity of everyone, in a way.

On the other hand, I think that the extra letters can let people know that there are others like them out there, when they may not have known before. For example, before I found the term “asexual,” I thought my lack of sexual attraction was unique, and that it was a sign of brokenness. I thought something was wrong with me, and I tried to be attracted to women and men, just to be more “normal.” After finding the “A,” and the asexual community, I accepted my own sexuality and was able to grow in a healthy way.

So yeah, it’s a complicated thing, but I still feel like the new letters do more good than harm.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Ancient of Years wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:07 pm The alphabet keeps growing and that is a good thing. It simply reflects that while we are all different we are also somehow the same. For example I can be a straight male and not worry about what anyone else might be. Different strokes for different folks.
You are aware, are you not, that an alphabet is "a set of letters or symbols in a fixed order, used to represent the basic sounds of a language; in particular, the set of letters from A to Z" in the English language. Are you now claiming that there are letters other than the current 26?