Sharing In The Building

Discussion of anything to do with the 'why' questions of life.
William
Savant

Sharing In The Building

Post #1

Post by William »

Participants in the Threads are entitled to help create the environment of this "Around The Camp Fire" sub-forum.
I, as moderator, am interested in helping to build an environment that all participants are comfortable with, bearing in mind that the rules of this sub-forum are the cornerstones from which such foundation will be built, and as such - are the overall guide for all participants to follow.

The use of PMing for the purpose this thread is created to do, is discouraged.
The moderator wishes the Readers to have access to data of process which PMing would otherwise hide from them.

Any comments and questions related to post in this thread, should also be answered in this thread, rather than in the role-play threads.
Last edited by William on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #51

Post by The Tanager »

If that kind of rule (in the previous post) is what you mean by "abandon," that would be a confusing definition of a creator "abandoning" her creation.

William
Savant

Post #52

Post by William »

On the first 2 paragraphs of your reply in post#49 on the difficulty in developing a story-line, I like to keep things as less contrived as possible to allow for synchronicity and serendipity to develop as a natural outcome.

The introduction of 'the furry companion' created the ripple effect of the introduction of The Realm of The Cats, with its own backstory explaining its existence in The Holograph Universes.

I do not contemplate in any great detail what I will introduce into the story-line - I simply get an impression - as I did with The Gem and The First Hut. I did not know what they were until Manu Iti interacted with them, and had never conceived of them - at least in a conscious manner - before they came into my minds eye and were developed from there, as of necessity and in relation with The Generated Messages and Numbered Word-String systems.
That you get little from said devices is not here nor there. I am explaining to you how it is for me, not how it needs to be for you, in relation to that.

There is no need to discuss together ones thought processes prior to adding posts to the story-line as this would have an affect on outcomes in relation to the story-line as we would be more inclined to draft something acceptable to both of us and there might well be spoilers involved.

It is best then to let things come to head before getting into that process, as we are now.

It would pay though, that if we notice a possible breach in the rules, that we nip it in the bud immediately rather than let it slide, as not doing so has proved to allow for assumptions to surface, as they have in the case of this example.

On that, I think it prudent and fairest all around that I go back to post#35 in Act III and edit to suit the new agreed knowledge that Ruthie is actually your creation, and not a Cat that is from or has been created in The Realm of The Cats, by the Creator of said Realm.

There will have to be additional edits in relation to that change, including that of post #65, but once it is done, we should both be happy with the result and there will be no more need for discussion on this matter.

eta

What I was able to do in this case was to split the Act III thread from post#35, so the dialog can start again at that point. The split section is saved as another thread and posts can be copied from their and edited and placed into the new branch from 35 onward, as required...

Problem Sorted.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #53

Post by The Tanager »

William wrote:On the first 2 paragraphs of your reply in post#49 on the difficulty in developing a story-line, I like to keep things as less contrived as possible to allow for synchronicity and serendipity to develop as a natural outcome.

The introduction of 'the furry companion' created the ripple effect of the introduction of The Realm of The Cats, with its own backstory explaining its existence in The Holograph Universes.

I do not contemplate in any great detail what I will introduce into the story-line - I simply get an impression - as I did with The Gem and The First Hut. I did not know what they were until Manu Iti interacted with them, and had never conceived of them - at least in a conscious manner - before they came into my minds eye and were developed from there, as of necessity and in relation with The Generated Messages and Numbered Word-String systems.
That you get little from said devices is not here nor there. I am explaining to you how it is for me, not how it needs to be for you, in relation to that.
Concerning the first two paragraphs in post 49, the main example in how I would do things differently involves how I wasn't thinking that you and I would become characters in the story. I would have initially had Callum make some very different choices had I known that was where this story was going. It fits very well with exploring your worldview, but I just didn't have it in mind. Perhaps you didn't have that intention going in, either. I'm not faulting you, just talking about the difficulty in this kind of endeavor. That difficulty, I think, asks for a lot of grace as we try to understand each other and work our visions together.
William wrote:On that, I think it prudent and fairest all around that I go back to post#35 in Act III and edit to suit the new agreed knowledge that Ruthie is actually your creation, and not a Cat that is from or has been created in The Realm of The Cats, by the Creator of said Realm.
I would beg you to make the stated rules clearer should other people want to undertake posting here. That only you can have your characters be indigenous to an area, while we must bring in foreign creations and keep them with our main character, unless we are okay to give control of them over to you. Now, if I misrepresent your desires there, please correct me, but that is my understanding of what you want to occur in this sub-forum.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #54

Post by The Tanager »

In relation to the first post of the split thread, you said it best to nip rule breaks in the bud. You control Ruthie again. You have her meow and move forward. I am perfectly fine with Ruthie doing that, but it is an example of you controlling my character. If you really want to keep the letter of your law, then you can't do that. Again, I don't care in this instance...I would have had Ruthie follow Ngaru's commands...so I don't care if you change that or not, but you said to call these breaks out as they happen.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #55

Post by The Tanager »

Alright, so I would say I need to edit post #6 of the new split thread, first. Here is the edit:

As Ruthie and I move through the spruce woods, I sense a bit of sadness on her part. I can tell that Ruthie would love to stay behind, learn more of these cats, learn whether she could have a life amongst these fellow cats. She has fear over where we are going, of difficulties of being a minority. She seems to let out a whimpering sigh, but then nuzzles against my hand and begins to gently purr.

I see the foothills 20 miles or so in the direction she is leading me. I wonder what awaits me out there. After another thirty minutes or so of walking I see Manu Iti's ship return in the sky above. I wonder what Manu Iti has thought of this trip.

Callum: Hello, once again, my friend. Looks like we've been kicked out and am on the move. What brings you here?

William
Savant

Post #56

Post by William »

The split thread is not the thread in which the story-line is now branching from.

The new branch of the story-line continues in this thread

Such is the nature of Fractals. They allow for this to happen. :)

[center]Image[/center]

William
Savant

Post #57

Post by William »

There was no preconceived intention on my part to have the story unfold as it did to include the Players as integral Characters in the unfolding story, but the notion that this was the truth of it was not lost on me, through said process. How can any story not have the story-teller involved in it...it just seemed the natural outcome of how the story developed and if you had known this was going to occur you would have 'played Callum differently' but this is what I mean by contrived, rather than naturally flowing.

As it stands now, we Player-Creators have less Character input in The Story-Line as the main Characters have agreed that we might well be 'figments of their imagination' created by them to compensate for lack of sure knowledge...

Our characters should be able to make mistakes and learn by them as they go. Callum does not completely understand the nature of the setting and Manu Iti has been attempting to help Callum understand the nature of The Holographic Universes while at the same time, helping Callum find the best place to be in relation to that.

All strictly underlined by the rule of non-judgmentalism.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #58

Post by The Tanager »

Okay, so I guess I'll wait for you to copy/update the next two posts? Or are we just starting from here and you are waiting for my post?

William
Savant

Post #59

Post by William »

It is a new branch of Story-line. As such, the old one can be considered to have taken place in an alternate Holograph Universe.

It seemed the easiest way to also avoid my having to double handle the editing, as you are free to use what you will from the other story-line and add to that whatever you choose.

And yes - I am awaiting your reply post...but will probably past another while I wait...

William
Savant

Post #60

Post by William »

I see here as well, that I made another very plain reference to the Creator of Ruthie, which - it seems - you also decided to let slide...

"My task - for now - is to lead you to The Portal created when Ngaru Whaea exited The Tabula Rasa and created The Realm of The Cats.
The Portal Itself is deeep within a cave, and Ruthie will take you as far as the entrance, but there you will go on without her, for she belongs to Ngaru Whaea and cannot go where you are going." @