Sharing In The Building

Discussion of anything to do with the 'why' questions of life.
William
Savant

Sharing In The Building

Post #1

Post by William »

Participants in the Threads are entitled to help create the environment of this "Around The Camp Fire" sub-forum.
I, as moderator, am interested in helping to build an environment that all participants are comfortable with, bearing in mind that the rules of this sub-forum are the cornerstones from which such foundation will be built, and as such - are the overall guide for all participants to follow.

The use of PMing for the purpose this thread is created to do, is discouraged.
The moderator wishes the Readers to have access to data of process which PMing would otherwise hide from them.

Any comments and questions related to post in this thread, should also be answered in this thread, rather than in the role-play threads.
Last edited by William on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

William
Savant

Post #2

Post by William »

I was wondering and thought I would put it out there...

When we use red font as the narrative to expand the storyline, we also use this to express our thoughts.

So either the environment has it that we can hear each others thoughts, or we remove those aspects which are specific to inner dialog.

Example: Acceptable narrative = I take out the flask, and take a sip.

Example: Acceptable narrative IF we agree we can read each others minds = ... as my memory turns to my father, who bought the present for me so many years ago. The fingers of my left hand quickly brush the emblem of a tree upon it, as I remember his infectious laugh, smile,...

Otherwise we remove any content from the narration in which mind-reading would be required...we keep our characters thoughts to themselves.

What do you think of that idea?

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by The Tanager »

Works for me

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

Okay it is agreed that we do not narrate our characters thoughts into the environment of the Camp Fire.

:)

Onwards!

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

In relation to the thread Musing on The Ancient Demon the moderator would like to remind the Member, John Human, that the purpose for the creation of this thread was role-play interaction between players Characters for discussion related to the thread title.

We are now 10 posts in and you still have not entered your Character fully into this role-play participation.

The thread was not created for any other purpose.

If you simply wish to share your own beliefs with the readers of this message board, the better place in which to do so would be The Member Notes sub- forum.

If you are still interested in participating in the role-play of the Around The Campfire sub -forum, you will have to interact with the other players character.

If you continue to post in the manner that you have been, I will have to Lock the thread, as it is not being used for the purpose it was created for.

Thank You

William

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

Additional moderator comments on role-playing.

Understanding how it works.

As a good example, the thread Musing On The Mother involves key features which are worth noting.

The Players:

William and The Tanager.

The Characters:

William's main character is "Manu Iti" and as well as that, "The Ruru"

The Tanagers main Character is "Callum".

The Players use their Characters in order to interact with one another within the Campfire Setting.
Through their Characters, the players are able to interact and discuss concepts etc, in a non-judgmental manner, which is the main reason for the creation of the sub-forum.

When a forum member agrees to use the "Around The Campfire" sub-forum, it has to be for this purpose, rather than be used for somewhere they can post their personal beliefs, argue and debate etc.

There appears to be confusion about this idea in the "Musing on The Ancient Demon" thread, and the thread itself was created in order that the forum Members, John Human and William could use characters in a role-play setting to explore the idea John brought into the Debating Christianity and Religion forums regarding 'Ancient Demon' in a sub-forum which was not about debating and does not allow judgmentalism.

In that, the opportunity to explore and expand on ideas etc is allowed to occur, free from those restraints.

Notes on the "Musing on The Ancient Demon" thread:

The setting is built on in threads 1&2 by player William. with his Character "Manu Iti".
Player John Human comes in on post #3 and brings his unspecified character into the outskirts of the main setting.

Player William acknowledges the unspecified Character of John Human is in the setting, and the next few posts are spent dealing with this, as it become apparent that John Human isn't bringing his Character fully into the setting, so the role-playing can happen.

Because of the nature of the situation, John Humans Character is too far away for William's Character (Manu Iti) to hear the words. Williams Character tries to encourage John Humans Character to come over to the Campfire and interact.

When this does not happen, and John continues to post, William warns John that the sub forum is not for that purpose and if it continues, the thread will have to be locked and abandoned. @

After this, John posts what looks like an attempt to correct the problem;

Ancient Demon: Ancient Demon has been expected. Ancient Demon cannot expect to be heard. John Human reports the words of Ancient Demon and of the others. Ancient Demon understood that the man of the campfire did not understand the nature of John Human. Ancient Demon and the Young Demons will be able to talk, if the man can accept that John Human will be the one who shares the words that Ancient Demon and the Young Demons have to say. @

The comment above should have been placed into this thread in answer to post #5, so as William and John could discuss the problems and find solution outside of the role-playing thread.

But what it is saying is that John Human will 'share the words' (as in 'be the mediator') for Ancient Demon, which is specifically what the role-playing forum enables.

It is important that the players do not use their main-forum names as the names for their Characters. regarding the above request, it is understood that the player 'shares the words' of their characters and has much to do with the purpose of this sub-forum.

This sub-forum is unique and there will naturally be 'bumps in the road' regarding the specifics of what is acceptable and what is not.
Last edited by William on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

Hi John Human

There are problems with our role-playing thread unfolding.

we can either start again or agree to the thread being tidied up before we resume.

It is important to realise that the whole reason the thread was created was so that there would be a safe place in which to bring things out, and role-playing serves a good purpose in that regard.

However, the players (you and I) have to work within that setting, and my character has invited your character to interact with him (Manu Iti).

My character also informs that he cannot hear any words coming from your character due to they being too far away from one another.

Effectively this means that whatever is written by you - the player - is not read. "Not Heard" = "Not read".

This thread is for ironing out any issues that arise in the role-playing threads.

Please also be advised that I have PMed you the links to these notes.

Cheers

William

John Human
Scholar

Post #8

Post by John Human »

William, I was under the impression that you created the thread to have a way to interact with Ancient Demon, in a setting (role playing) that allows you to engage with what it has to say without necessarily believing or disbelieving in its actual existence. As I let my imagination enter the role-play situation (clearing with campfire, etc.), other beings wanted to speak, and I let them set the agenda. Please understand that they are not me. If you are interested in engaging with what any of them has to say, presumably in the context of discussion between your and my characters about their statements, including the opportunity for your character to directly address any one of them (if they wish to reply with me as a channel, and I think they most likely will), then this thread will have a purpose.

However, your decision to "not hear" them when (fitting their statements inside the role-play) they emerged from the Knapsack and spoke, serves to block further interaction.

My agenda, if this thread can continue, is (1) to give these beings the opportunity to speak and to give you (or rather, your characters) and/or others behat they sayings are the opportunity to engage directly with them (with me as the channel, of course); and (2) for me (or rather, my character) to be available to consider your thoughts and share my own regarding who they are and what they say.

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

John Human: William, I was under the impression that you created the thread to have a way to interact with Ancient Demon, in a setting (role playing) that allows you to engage with what it has to say without necessarily believing or disbelieving in its actual existence.

William: This is mostly the case, yes John. In role play, there are no rules in regard to what is to be believed 'real' and what is not to be believed 'real'...I am using my Character - Manu Iti - for the purpose of interacting with the Character Ancient Demon.

John Human: As I let my imagination enter the role-play situation (clearing with campfire, etc.), other beings wanted to speak, and I let them set the agenda.
Please understand that they are not me.

William: For the purpose of role play, it does not matter if I understand they are you or not. I am not here to judge either way, but to simply participate, using my own Creation, the Character Manu Iti.
It does not matter weather you think Manu Iti is real or not, does it?

John Human: If you are interested in engaging with what any of them has to say, presumably in the context of discussion between your and my characters about their statements, including the opportunity for your character to directly address any one of them (if they wish to reply with me as a channel, and I think they most likely will), then this thread will have a purpose.

William: As The Creator of Manui Iti, I am using the Character as I intended to use him, in this role-play. I am not sure, but you appear to be saying that your characters do not want to converse with Manu Iti...and that is why they haven't done so?

John Human: However, your decision to "not hear" them when (fitting their statements inside the role-play) they emerged from the Knapsack and spoke, serves to block further interaction.

William: As the Creator of my character, and the environment in which the role-playing is accomplished, I respect my Character and expect the situation to be used appropriately.
I choose not to read what my character cannot hear, which is the best way to go, because the message is for my character and I choose to hear only what my Character hears, as the appropriate manner in which to have genuine role-play actually happen.
To ignore my Character, Manu Iti, is disrespectful of the whole intent of the Around The Campfire sub-forum.

John Human: My agenda, if this thread can continue, is (1) to give these beings the opportunity to speak and to give you (or rather, your characters) and/or others behat they sayings are the opportunity to engage directly with them (with me as the channel, of course); and (2) for me (or rather, my character) to be available to consider your thoughts and share my own regarding who they are and what they say.

William: Within the role-play, your Character(s) have been invited BY Manu Iti - to come closer and to actually interact with Manu Iti. If your agenda is as you say, then please respond accordingly with my Character, as he has invited you (your characters) to do.

If you can agree to this, we can proceed. Otherwise the purpose of the thread being created, cannot come to fruition, and I - as the Moderator will have to lock the thread.

What do you say?

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by The Tanager »

William suggested this would be a good thing to do here rather than through PM. We will be copying a few PMs back and forth before continuing our discussion. Here was my first one to him:

"I want to make sure I'm understanding what you mean by your comments about Callum's judgments/judging in the posts. I don't want to go against why you've set this thread up. Do you believe I've crossed the line you've set up for this thread? Is this thread against any judgment (in the sense of critique)? Are you okay with Callum's questioning ideas, comparing them to others, pointing out possible rational problems...or is that not what you are intending here? I want to make sure you just aren't falling into your nice demeanor and bearing my comments with patience when you don't really want that kind of discussion here. I'm afraid I might have misunderstood that nuance and want to make sure I clear it up before continuing."