Why is divorce not an option for Christians?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
arunangelo
Apprentice
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:44 pm

Why is divorce not an option for Christians?

Post #1

Post by arunangelo »

In marriage, spouses leave their parents and unite with each other (Mark 10:7) to become one flesh (Gen.2: 24). Because, it is a covenant of love, and God is love (1 John4:8), it is God who seals the marriage covenant; and no one can separate what God has joined together (Matt 19:6). In divorce, therefore, this covenant is not broken; it is rejected. Therefore, remarriage after divorce is adultery (Luke 16:18). Furthermore, since God seals this covenant, divorce is rejection of God. God, therefore, hates divorce (Malachi 2:16) and is not pleased with the offerings of those who divorce their spouse (Malachi 2: 13-14). Jesus tells us that before making offering to God, we must reconcile with those with whom we have grievances (Matt. 5: 23-24). Therefore, a divorced person must first reconcile with his/her spouse before making an offering to the Lord. Furthermore, even if there is unfaithfulness a person must still stay faith to his/her spouse, just as God His faithful to us even when we reject Him (Hosea 3:1).

Divorce is absolutely prohibited in the Gospels (Mk 10:11-12, Luke 6:18; Matthew 5: 31-32). In Matthew’s gospel there appears to be an exception. The exception in the Greek text is porneia (which means incest or fornication), and not moiceia (which means adultery). In the Mosaic Law (Lv 18:6-18) certain types of marriages between close relatives were unlawful, because, they were regarded as incest (porneia). Certain rabbis, however, allowed gentile converts to Judaism to remain in such marriages. The exemption in Matthew’s gospel is against such permissiveness for gentile converts to Christianity. Fornication is another meaning for porneia. Therefore, this exception also applies to couples who fornicate by living together without a lawful marriage (also known as common law marriages).

surrendersacrifice
webs site: surrendersacrifice.com

Athetotheist
Sage
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Why is divorce not an option for Christians?

Post #101

Post by Athetotheist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:16 amNothing in scripture indicates stubbornness is "right in Gods eyes".
Nothing in the law indicates that anything the law allows is "stubbornness".
Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 am... I challenge you to show me where Moses said that any part of the law was "adapted" to people's "stubbornness". ...
JehovahsWitness wrote:Did I say MOSES said that?
Did I say you said Moses said that? No. I'm challenging you to show me where Moses said it.
JehovahsWitness wrote:Jesus stated that.
That's exactly my point. Jesus said it; Moses didn't.
Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 am
Why would God ... mislead them into believing that they could "love the Lord your God and serve him with all your heart and with all your soul (Deut. 11:13) while indulging in that stubbornness?
JehovahsWitness wrote:Where did he do that?
He didn't----but Jesus is unintentionally implying that he did.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15238
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 151 times
Contact:

Re: Why is divorce not an option for Christians?

Post #102

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 pmThat's exactly my point. Jesus said it; Moses didn't.

So? So what?!


Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 am
Why would God ... mislead them into believing that they could "love the Lord your God and serve him with all your heart and with all your soul (Deut. 11:13) while indulging in that stubbornness?

JehovahsWitness wrote:Where did he do that?
He didn't----but Jesus is unintentionally implying that he did.

I disagree. Perhaps you would like to present your rationale in defence of such a conclusion






JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Athetotheist
Sage
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Why is divorce not an option for Christians?

Post #103

Post by Athetotheist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:51 am
Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 pmThat's exactly my point. Jesus said it; Moses didn't.

So? So what?!


Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 am
Why would God ... mislead them into believing that they could "love the Lord your God and serve him with all your heart and with all your soul (Deut. 11:13) while indulging in that stubbornness?

JehovahsWitness wrote:Where did he do that?
He didn't----but Jesus is unintentionally implying that he did.

I disagree. Perhaps you would like to present your rationale in defence of such a conclusion
That's what I've been doing all along.

Jesus says that Moses made an allowance in the law for the people's stubbornness.

Moses says nothing of the kind. He does say that the people are to keep all of the law----as it is----in order to love and serve their God and do right in his eyes.

Stubbornness is disobedience. In order for it to be possible for the people to serve their God with all their heart and all their soul (Dt. 11:13) and do right in his eyes (13:18) by being obedient to all of the law----as Moses commanded(27:1)----there couldn't be anything in the law allowing them to remain disobedient, which means that Jesus was wrong about the law. That's plain, simple logic.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15238
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 151 times
Contact:

Re: Why is divorce not an option for Christians?

Post #104

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:45 pm....there couldn't be anything in the law allowing them to remain disobedient...
There was nothing in the law that allowed them to remain disobedient.

You are aware what disobedience means? It means not obeying a specific instruction: what specific instruction are you suggesting the Israelites were allowed by mandate to disobey? Jesus didn't speak about disobedience he spoke about "stubborness of heart", in other words a mental inclination. He explicitly said God was aware of this problem and mandated accordingly. There was no law that commanded people to be stubborn and nothing in the law that prohibited divorce.

You seem to be suffering from a rabid case of extrapolation.






JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Athetotheist
Sage
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Why is divorce not an option for Christians?

Post #105

Post by Athetotheist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:09 amJesus didn't speak about disobedience he spoke about "stubborness of heart", in other words a mental inclination.
Right-----a mental inclination toward disobedience. Stubbornness requires a context. People can't just "be stubborn"; they have to be stubborn about something. If Jesus wasn't saying that they were disobedient, then he must have been admitting that they were obedient. If they were obedient, how were they being stubborn?

"Therefore circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and be stiff-necked (stubborn) no longer." (Deut. 10:16)

How could Moses write a flexibility for their stubbornness into the same law in which he explicitly tells them to stop being stubborn?

JehovahsWitness wrote:There was no law that commanded people to be stubborn
I didn't say there was. You're the one building strawmen.
JehovasWitness wrote:and nothing in the law that prohibited divorce.
That's what I've been saying. By admitting that Jesus violates Deut. 4:2 by adding to the law in Matt.5:32, you're making my argument for me.

Post Reply